Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blast from the past, restore,repair&rebuild

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    After trying 2 times to get the mold parts done, the process proved to be too cumbersome so I decided to go on a another route and try additive method. I took the cast and outlined the dimensions so the next step will be to make cockpit tub by layering material to its rough shape.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #32
      After taking additional measurements I came up with the decent representation of the tub. Cross referenced it with the Eduard's decals and the accuracy is sufficient for 1/72 scale. I must apologize for the slow pace of the project, I had a bit of a rough patch, but that is out of the way now. Tomorrow, the build of the cockpit commences.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #33
        Process of modeling the cockpit tub.

        Process of modeling the cockpit tub.

        For this process, I've decided to go with the youtube trick with composite paper as the main material. First, I cut the paper strips that roughly match the inner part of the cockpit. Since I have a thick sketching block paper, 90 gram one, four paper strips are needed. First two paper strips are glued with ordinary stick glue and pressed into the place. The stick glue, glues those two parts together but it also softens the paper enough that it can take the inner shape of the fuselage. Those two pieces need to be pressed in place for about two to three minutes. In that time, third and fourth piece of paper need to be layered with graphite, best way is to use one of those thick graphite sketching pencils to layer the graphite on the strips.Once that is done, place the graphite layered strip on top of the stick glue strip inside the cockpit and press it to conform to the shape formed by a stick glued ones. Than cover the graphite layered strip with super glue and glue the fourth paper strip on the top. This is the trickiest part of the process as the super glue dries very quickly. The graphite layered piece of paper when glued with the super glue, forms a composite of sorts, that is super hard and it can mimic the plastic. Tomorrow I will by some paint to see how it handles it and if some additional things are needed for this technique to work.
        Also from the previous "melting" experiment with Styrofoam and acetone that produced that goo I found out that that goo can be used to coat composite parts made like this so in essence you will end up with the semi carbon cellulose composite that can be coated with plastic and that should give the ideal material for this project. We will know tomorrow, but so far the test pieces are hard as a rock and can be polished to fit the final shape rather easily.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Versus; 22 Nov 23,, 20:04.

        Comment


        • #34
          It worked. The material is water resistant...Yay, we are in business.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #35
            Updates
            Working on the cockpit and the ejection seat. New precision scalpel arrived yesterday so I will do Mk 2 version of the ejection seat today. Cockpit material, the cellulose graphite composite characteristics went beyond wildest dreams and, though a bit expensive and toxic to make, are now my favorite material for building smaller parts. More work ahead.

            Also better camera will be used.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Versus; 26 Nov 23,, 10:11.

            Comment


            • #36
              I had some problems with the furniture but that is about to be solved now and than I will return to this project.

              Comment

              Working...
              X