No announcement yet.

Will SARS make a come back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This needs to happen less. Best thing is publicise these incidents, each and every time it happens.

Bengaluru: Asha worker on COVID-19 duty, attacked | DH | Apr 02 2020

ASHA worker Krishnaveni, along with other staffers, had been to Sadiq Nagar for field surveillance after a domestic maid in the area tested positive for COVID-19. The workers were checking if any of the residents had symptoms like fever, cough or cold by visiting every household and taking down the names and mobile numbers of the occupants. The workers, it is said, were also checking if anyone from the locality attended the Tablighi Jamaat congregation at Hazrat Nizamuddin, Delhi.

According to Krishnaveni, a group of 40 to 50 persons belonging to a minority community surrounded her and took objections to her work in the locality. In her statement to media persons, Krishnaveni said that she was wrongfully restrained by a huge crowd of minority community members.

“They manhandled me and told me that I should not inquire anyone about the COVID-19 symptoms. They even shouted that they will die of COVID-19 and I should not be worried. They even snatched documents pertaining to surveillance work, mobile phones and other valuables,” she told media persons.

She further alleged that there was an announcement made in the mike in a prayer hall of the community stating no one should entertain health workers. Only after Krishnaveni tipped off the police about the incident, a Hoysala patrolling vehicle was sent to the spot and police personnel released her from the mob.

Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHA) union has condemned the attack on these workers and have demanded for police protection to discharge their duties.

The Karnataka Asha Workers Union had a discussion over the phone with the minister for health and family welfare and sought police protection to ensure that such attacks do not happen in future.
    There must be more cases in that area so people are jumpy. Send the cops in next.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Apr 20,, 05:12.

Comment

• Same thing happened in Pakistan too

Pakistan places Raiwind under complete lockdown after Tablighi Jamaat members tested coronavirus positive | ET | Apr 02 2020

Pakistan authorities have placed the entire city of Raiwind under quarantine, shutting down all general and medical stores, and completely restricted the mobility of people within or outside the city after at least 40 Tablighi Jamaat preachers tested positive, officials said on Thursday.
      TJ are behind the spike in cases there also

According to the government, in March the Tablighi Jamaat went ahead with its annual congregation in Raiwind, Lahore against its 'advice' that the gathering might spread the virus.

Pakistani authorities had urged the cancellation of the five-day Tablighi congregation, which was attended by thousands of people from several countries.

"The government's apprehensions stood true as several Tablighi Jamaat activists have tested positive for coronavirus and they caused spread of it," Lahore Deputy Commissioner Danish Afzaal said in a statement.

Tablighi Jamaat members have emerged as the prime suspects among potential coronavirus carriers, not just in Pakistan but in India, Malaysia and Brunei.
      So, we said the problem in Pakistan is allowing Friday prayers. Well, what happens when you try to stop Friday prayers in Karachi ?

https://twitter.com/zalmayzia/status...15911930232833

Like throwing a stone at a bee hive or kicking a bear. Same thing.

Originally posted by twitter comment
      This proves it's a problem with the teaching and has nothing to do with place ... Countries change but actions are same Evey where jahil log.
      https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/c...es-quarantined

Government ministers have been among those to pour scorn on the group and other religious movements for failing to take steps to minimise the spread of infection by limiting the number of people attending prayers.

Pointing the finger at religious congregations, Fawad Chaudhry, the minister for science and technology, singled out Tablighi Jamaat and Barelvi preachers for criticism, the latter belonging to a Sunni movement that has an extensive following across South Asia.

"We are very concerned that Tablighi Jamaat refused to limit the congregation so they are responsible. The religious clergy's regressive opinions are what led to this catastrophe," he said.
      Arsalan Khan, an assistant anthropology professor at Union College in New York who has researched and written about the movement, told MEE that it is hard for followers to conceive that a practice to spread religious virtue could be "a vehicle for the spread of illness and death".

There is also a financial consideration, he said. Many Tablighi Jamaat mosques house madrassa-educated imams who rely on donations from worshippers for their income.
      Anthropologists always make interesting observations : )

Sabookh Syed, a Pakistani-based journalist and analyst focused on religious movements, agreed that Tablighi Jaamat leaders' reluctance to curtail the group's activities may have been part-motivated by economic factors, but he believes another more significant issue may be at play.

While the movement traditionally distances itself from and is distrustful of politics, its deep roots in Pakistani society, where it commands a large middle-class support base, mean that it has largely been left alone by the authorities.

Bowing to pressure over coronavirus could be seen as setting a precedent for future political interventions in the group's affairs, he suggests.

"Tablighi Jamaat regard the government as embodying the old colonial rulers, therefore they disregard their advice," Syed said.

"Their main concerns are if the government closes the mosques and gatherings on this occasion, it will do so in the future."
      Bingo!
      Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Apr 20,, 18:02.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        I don't understand what you're saying. That guy's an islamic scholar.

Explained very clearly what the hadiths say about epidemics.

Had there not been an epidemic Paks would have brought their people back.

Now, he hasn't said that but i've connected the dots here.

Ignorance of the Quran and early islamic military history puts us at a disadvantage when it comes to understanding their intent. Already this happened numerous time in the past with us and even to the Israelis when dealing with the Pals.
        All good, but why do your twitter link have Michael Kugelman, Ilhan Omar, Cynthia D. Ritchie, Ashok Swain, CJ Werleman? If you follow these guys, it's a waste of time.

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
        Typically $25-30 at a normal barber/hair stylist in San Diego for an ordinary haircut. $20 at a chain haircut shop. There's Mexican places that'll cut your hair for $10.

A tip of ~20% is customary too.

Average rent for a 1br in San Diego runs $1800, which is almost exactly the same as the average annual per capita income in India. Then there's other bills and expenses that have to be paid. That's why haircuts cost what they do.

Myself, I go to the barber college for $5, and tip $10-12.
        You tip 200%+ of what you pay for your haircut?
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 16.45.30.png
Views:	2
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1478768
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
            You tip 200%+ of what you pay for your haircut?
            Barber college students typically work full-time for a year with no pay to get their license. They're usually not from upper or even middle class backgrounds.

Even with a $10 tip on top of a $5 fee the college charges, it's still a half-priced haircut compared to a normal barber/stylist.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Barber college students typically work full-time for a year with no pay to get their license. They're usually not from upper or even middle class backgrounds.

Even with a $10 tip on top of a $5 fee the college charges, it's still a half-priced haircut compared to a normal barber/stylist.
              I didn't know that. So they get the full tip? Or the establishment takes a cut? Didn't know barbers need a license.

Great man, you have a good heart.

Comment

• Covid-19: Centre considering requests from states, experts to extend lockdown, say govt sources

Assam MLA arrested for remarks on Covid-19, quarantine centres

KNP ups security after rumours of China using rhino horns to make Covid-19 drugs

Comment

• Phased exit from lockdown: Areas with low infection risk may be opened up first

States/Districts that are most affected will continue under lockdown. But how long will the lockdown continue? My guess is another 2 weeks, that is till the end of April.

States/Districts under medium/low infection would see some ease, or no ease.

States/Districts with no cases or no new cases would see opening of veg/fish/meat sellers going lane to lane and selling their wares, no movement of people across districts. Opening up of booze shops would earn the government some much needed revenue.

^ That I've been saying to people all along, not here though. I had to be a little sure first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 18.49.26.png
Views:	1
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	1478769

This idiot is a disgrace.

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 19.05.21.png
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	1478770

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 19.06.00.png
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	1478771

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 19.06.19.png
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	1478772
                  Last edited by Oracle; 07 Apr 20,, 14:41.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 19.06.49.png
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	1478773

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 19.07.14.png
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	1478774

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 19.07.40.png
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	1478775

Is being the PM of India the toughest job in the world? Consider this:

#1. Huge population
                    #2. Everyone has an independent opinion
                    #3. Propaganda by @DGISPR and our own idiots
                    #4. Trying to satisfy every group/sect/religion/liberandus
                    #5. Being on guard Vs TSP, and wary of China - 24*7

What else?

I don't want to be in that position.

Comment

• When idiocy gains traction

James Pethokoukis at the American Enterprise Institute writes a blog post entitled “Hey, Financial Times, this is no time to go wobbly on market capitalism.”

He starts with a display of the depth of his ignorance: “A once-in-a-century pandemic is no reason to push for an untried and radically different form of capitalism.”

For the less diligent, recent references to the 1918-20 Spanish Flu epidemic might be justification for calling COVID-19 a ‘once-in-a-century pandemic.’

In fact, it is only one of three pandemics currently on going, and one of 13 in my lifetime (I’m 62).

Asian Flu (1957-58)
                      Seventh Cholera pandemic (1961-75)
                      Smallpox (1877-1977)
                      Hong Kong flu (1968-69)
                      HIV/AIDS pandemic (1960-)
                      vCJD (1996-2001)
                      SARS (2002-04)
                      Mumps (2009)
                      Swine flu (2009-10)
                      Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus outbreak (2012-)
                      Ebola virus (2013-16)
                      Zika virus (2015-16)
                      COVID-19 (2019-)

https://www.aei.org/economics/hey-fi...et-capitalism/
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        If you look at infectred in the US there are counties there that have more cases by several factors than our entire country.

Something isn't right. We're not testing enough.

Consider that the number of people we have in quarantine passed six figures over a week back.

People that came from abroad, who they got into touch etc.
                        Yeah. Assam itself have over 70K people in quarantine, which ends with the final testing on 9th. The test results will take another 2-3 days possibly. Local news said the state administration will have a meeting on 13th on what to do next with the lockdown. I hope no more cases come out to be positive. Else, we all are screwed.

Comment

• Since people are wondering when our lockdown will end went searching for the Aussie study on social distancing

Greater social distancing could curb COVID-19 in 13 weeks | Sydney Uni | Mar 25 2020

Name:	social distancing effectiveness.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1478777

I went out to buy some groceries earlier. I walked couple of kms. I saw four people in the shop and ten people on the road.

It was only 7pm when usually the place is jam packed.

Most people i see wear masks.

So compliance is good. Better than 80%

If compliance in the rest of India remains good they will extend until we reach a point where its no longer tenable.

Comment

• In the audio clip, the legislator alleged that quarantine centres in the state have become more dangerous than detention camps for declared foreigners. He also alleged that many people without any sign of disease have been kept in the quarantine camps.

Islam also alleged in the clip that people in quarantine were not being provided food and other amenities.

Earlier, he claimed that no one from Tablighi Jamaat at Nizamuddin Markaz had tested positive for Covid-19 and alleged that it was a conspiracy of media to malign followers of Islam.
                            Now i know why your MLA posted photos about food in the quarantine centres

It's true people without any sign of disease are being kept in these camps. Because of contact tracing. They came into contact with either a suspected or confirmed infected person.

Hmm, now I understand why the ASHA workers are being pushed back. People are being taken in when they think there is nothing wrong with them. Better communication required here and failing that let the cops deal with it.

The conspiracy to malign muslims line was also used by the TJ chief who's in hiding. He's since recanted.

The controversial legislator earlier had sought public apology from the Ahom community after he allegedly said in a public meeting that Ahoms were not the indigenous people of Assam and termed them as invaders.
                            lol, this guy's a rabble rouser

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                            All good, but why do your twitter link have Michael Kugelman, Ilhan Omar, Cynthia D. Ritchie, Ashok Swain, CJ Werleman? If you follow these guys, it's a waste of time.
                            Where do you see links to those people ? i only saw one by Swain which i'm certain no one disagrees with.

People attacking 5G towers in the UK as they believe their roll out is spreading the virus !!!

Come across a few of these that insist the virus is a bioweapon

Originally posted by youtube comment
                            This guy's got a youtube channel, quotes a withdrawn paper from an Indian uni that says the virus has similarities to HIV.

every established "science" journal is controlled
                            by whom ?

six monopoly corporations own 1500 newspapers, 1100 magazines, 9000 radio stations, 1500 tv stations and 2400 PUBLISHING COMPANIES > all are propaganda
                            when pushed on peer reviewed research

the peer/pal publication racket and government grant bribes corrupt ALL science
                            What is the difference in thinking between these people and the tablighi guys ? i don't know.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Apr 20,, 18:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                              Yeah. Assam itself have over 70K people in quarantine, which ends with the final testing on 9th. The test results will take another 2-3 days possibly. Local news said the state administration will have a meeting on 13th on what to do next with the lockdown. I hope no more cases come out to be positive. Else, we all are screwed.
                              Assam has 70k in quarantine ? how can that be. I was quoting an all India figure.

Need to find some official figure for those we have in qurantine.

So we can expect a spike in affected numbers but what people should understand is these are contacts that were quarantined and suspected f carrying the disease. During their time in quarantine they could not infect others.

Comment

• Nice and easy

Some more

Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Apr 20,, 20:14.

Comment

Working...
                                X