Ethiopia Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roll Jordan Roll

...gonna lay my burden, down by the river side....

A cross carved from the rock by the River Jordan.

Biete Gabriel Raphael (house of the Angels - Gabriel & Raphael) may once have been a royal palace. Nowadays that deep area there is crossed via a wooden bridge. Previous to that access was via a long 2 foot wide carved approach - you can see a bit of it joining to the roof in the top right.

Biete Emmanuel - possibly the former royal chapel. Another impressive & fully freestanding church. Unfortunately botched attempts to preserve it have led to all those ugly holes in the side.

Picking your way though the churches of Lalibela it is easy to forget that you are at almost 3000 meters above sea level. This was the view from the balcony of my absolutely gorgeous room. There was a terrace for eating meals where you could have breakfast to the same view. Needless to say I took advantage. :)
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Addis

Addis Ababa is a relatively new city. Founded in 1886, it marked a shift away from the traditional centres of power in Ethiopia to the north. This was part of a process to consolidate newly-occupied territory to the south that was in danger of being occupied by European powers. Initially the Emperor & his queen lived at Entoto, a spot above Addis, but the Queen though that the hot springs in the valley below would be a better place to establish the city. From humble beginnings the city may now have a population comfortably over 4 million courtesy of rapid expansion over the last 20 years.

Addis from the south. Addis itself is at 2500 meters above sea level, the mountains that ruing it would be quite a bit higher.

Mercato, reputedly the biggest market in Africa. It is essentially a huge wholesale market & transhipment point. This is the economic heart of Ethiopia. Prices of goods & commodities are set here, much to the dismay of the government, which is trying to set up proper commodities exchanges.

More shots from Mercato. This is one of the worst places in Ethiopia for pick-pockets & my guide advised me not to get out for a walk.
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

The Late Haile Selassie

Holy Trinity Cathedral, more of a European-style cathedral

The final resting place of Haile Selassie, last in of the 250+ Solomonic Dynasty. Haile Selassie was murdered by the Derg in 1974 & reputedly buried under a toilet. he was reinterred here in 2000 with his Queen.

The Emperor's seat.

Some of the murals on the ceiling depict modern events. This is Haile Selassie & a British/Ethiopian force raising the Ethiopian flag in 1941. Among the British pictured is the brilliant/crazy Orde Wingate.
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

Some more history

A cannon used at the battle of Adwa outside the National Museum.

A replica of the bones of 'Lucy', the 3.5 million year old hominid ancestor of homo sapiens. The real bones are held elsewhere in the museum. The bones were discovered in a valley to the east of Addis. The museum is full of the fossilized bones of various hoimids.

Pre-Axumite artefacts over 2000 years old from around Yeha. The influence of Egyptian art is clear. Note the Walia Ibex motif along the top. native only to Ethiopia's highlands, this is a common motif on ancient art & temples, signifying a sense of distinctive identity.

The Taitu hotel, the oldest hotel in Addis, built in 1898 by the Empress Taitu. Still operates as a hotel, but is apparently showing its age.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bigfella; 21 Dec 13,, 16:11.
          sigpic

Comment

This was just too bizarre not to photograph.

Despite being a city of 4 million, you can still see sheep & goats being herded through the centre of Addis.

The impressive Medhane Alem Cathedral

A beautiful crater lake at Bishoftu, a shirt drive outside Addis. The town has half a dozen gorgeous crater lakes & an Air Force Academy. Most of the lakes are invisible from the road - surrounded by houses & hotels. I didn't even know this was here until we walked through the grounds of this hotel. This place is a popular resort town & place for Addis residents to take day trips.
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

BF I'm just loving this. It's now on the 'Iain & the missus' must do list.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I feel the same. My wife ain't seeing these pics in the next year or so.

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                'Iain & the missus'
                Some people never learn.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  Some people never learn.
                  Heh. :red:
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Some people never learn.
                    Heck yeah.

Some women are just glutton for punishment....
                    Last edited by YellowFever; 21 Dec 13,, 21:23.

Comment

I had no Idea Ethiopia looked like this. Spent the past hour looking at these!! Thanks BF!

Comment

I swear BF is being bribed by Ethiopian Tourist Board. If he ain't he should be.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                          BF I'm just loving this. It's now on the 'Iain & the missus' must do list.
                          If you ever get really serious give me a shout. I know an Ethiopian who runs a tour company. Lived in Melbourne for 6 years too. Does combined Kenya safari/Ethiopia trips for those who are so inclined.

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
                          I had no Idea Ethiopia looked like this. Spent the past hour looking at these!! Thanks BF!
                          Mission accomplished! :) One of the things I wanted to do with these photos was just that. people have an image of Ethiopia in their minds that has nothing to do with the reality. While I had some idea what it would be like, even I was surprised. Pleasantly so.

I swear BF is being bribed by Ethiopian Tourist Board. If he ain't he should be.
                          My only reward is knowing I've done something good. I'm hurt that you would think otherwise (plus I didn't think to try to get anyone to pay me. Crap!) ;)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            If you ever get really serious give me a shout. I know an Ethiopian who runs a tour company. Lived in Melbourne for 6 years too. Does combined Kenya safari/Ethiopia trips for those who are so inclined.
                            You had 6 years to naturalize him to be a proper Aussie and now you send a Kiwi to him? :Dancing-Banana:

My only reward is knowing I've done something good. I'm hurt that you would think otherwise (plus I didn't think to try to get anyone to pay me. Crap!) ;)
                            Wasn't my intention to offend. Just saying you are doing great job changing the image of a country many people still think suffers from hunger. Also saying you are so good at it you could earn something from it. Be it material or feelgood moment(s) is up to you.

Comment

You had 6 years to naturalize him to be a proper Aussie and now you send a Kiwi to him? :Dancing-Banana:
                              He grew up under the Derg, he can deal with Kiwis.

Wasn't my intention to offend. Just saying you are doing great job changing the image of a country many people still think suffers from hunger. Also saying you are so good at it you could earn something from it. Be it material or feelgood moment(s) is up to you.
                              No offence taken Doc. Just jokin' wit ya.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X