At Face Value.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Face Value.....

One of the things I do in past time is read and correct those entries on IMDB. I am continually amazed of how people insist that what they see on the screen is the way it has to be in the story and if it can't exist in the real world, it is wrong.

For example, take the Bionic series. Well, they can't lift that car because even though the arm is bionic, the skeleton structure can't support that.

Well, isn't it just possible that the limbs, eye/ear weren't the only thing modified? After all, there are several comments about fighting rejection, isn't it possible that they modified through compounds or drugs the internals as well?

Or the movie "The Island", where someone said that because their trains were antigrav, the highway 18 wheeler chase didn't make sense. You shouldn't be able to find that mistake now because I corrected that one pointing out alternatives in the story line of what that could exist.

Or in Outland where some one has said that the dead man's blood shouldn't look like that. Well, perhaps not on Earth......but who knows what they have done to blood chemistry to be able to get out to and mine on Io. It's already stated in the movie that hibernation sleep lasts for over a year for the transit....maybe that affects blood chemistry as well (haven't decided if I am going to let that one stick or not).

BUT MAYBE, JUST MAYBE...........if people weren't so critical, so positive that what THEY are seeing in the movies is the only way it can be...............maybe there would be more open eyes to see the real reason politicians are doing things and not just believe what is being said.

There are three types of people who watch. Those that have to explain each and every scene, those that are never happy so they nitpick ad nauseum, and those that just want some entertainment. I refuse to watch anything with the first two types.

Alas, if people would read more they would have better imaginations and thus can envision multiple possibilities.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
      There are three types of people who watch. Those that have to explain each and every scene, those that are never happy so they nitpick ad nauseum, and those that just want some entertainment. I refuse to watch anything with the first two types.

Alas, if people would read more they would have better imaginations and thus can envision multiple possibilities.
      It's like the old courtroom trick....."Is it possible that there is an elephant out there with a 50 piece band?".

As things go, I have read two, at least, of the Cyborg books by Martin Caidin and in those books, there are, if you will forgive the pun, bits and pieces of how it was more than just the arm and legs.

Oh, the lack of imagination of some......such as those who love to rake over the first Star Wars. For example, Han says he has done "the Kessel Run in three parsecs" (or something like that), and there are those who will declare ERROR, because a parsec is a measure of distance, not time.

Well, maybe depending on the kind of ship can determine what route one takes can determine the distance that has to be traveled. In fact, Han sort of says that later in the movie with his dusting crops comment, about bouncing too close to a supernova. If one doesn't have the speed to escape a huge gravitional mass, they may have to take a longer route.

For that matter, the Falcon may have other engines (or capabilities) than just atmospheric speeds and hyperspace. He's a smuggler, odds are he is not going to have detailed, hyperdrive, maps for every place he goes. So he might have to jump "close" to the destination then travel in a slower (but still, plenty fast for us) speed to get there.....such as when he had to limp in to Bespin in the 2nd movie.

When my father first saw Airwolf do that climbing Williamson turn, he immediately declared that it was impossible, a helicopter couldn't do such! I countered with asking about not even with aux jets.....which got him to say, well, maybe. It's fantasy, live with it!

Two things. When I was playing Dr. H. Floyd in a scene, I was doing the monologue about Aerobraking around Jupiter in "2010", adjustments had to be made so I was actually talking to my lover and not a delayed message. One of my classmates noted, "If we can send ships to Jupiter, we would have bound to figure out a way to have instaneous communications.". (I do that, I like playing astronauts, divers)

Secondly, though, we might want to remember, MIGHT, that what is seen on the screen is, so very often, one way or another, a fantasy. Even if it is suppose to be real, it may not be as it appears. How many Steve Irwins did they go through to get what they showed on TV?

As I said, MIGHT. What follows may hurt sensitive ears, so if you don't want to know what goes on on the NET, don't click. (and if you are expecting the risque, don't)

Spoiler!

Movie wise, two things.

It's fantasy! Accept that there are some things in their world that may not be your world.

Secondly, don't try this at home for these people are professionals with multiple reboots.

Comment

I am with you there. Just really hard to see a book-based movie and be content ;)

Them directors... never have as vivid imagination as we do.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          I am with you there. Just really hard to see a book-based movie and be content ;)

Them directors... never have as vivid imagination as we do.
          What was it, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was the closest 007 movie to the book? As things go, it may have the movie over all time that was closest to the book, modern anyhow.

But even that......as I think back to the book I read long ago, there were things here and there, such as, I think, more sex with Tracey, less sex with the angels of death.

As I recall...............

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
            It's like the old courtroom trick....."Is it possible that there is an elephant out there with a 50 piece band?".

As things go, I have read two, at least, of the Cyborg books by Martin Caidin and in those books, there are, if you will forgive the pun, bits and pieces of how it was more than just the arm and legs.

Oh, the lack of imagination of some......such as those who love to rake over the first Star Wars. For example, Han says he has done "the Kessel Run in three parsecs" (or something like that), and there are those who will declare ERROR, because a parsec is a measure of distance, not time.

Well, maybe depending on the kind of ship can determine what route one takes can determine the distance that has to be traveled. In fact, Han sort of says that later in the movie with his dusting crops comment, about bouncing too close to a supernova. If one doesn't have the speed to escape a huge gravitional mass, they may have to take a longer route.

For that matter, the Falcon may have other engines (or capabilities) than just atmospheric speeds and hyperspace. He's a smuggler, odds are he is not going to have detailed, hyperdrive, maps for every place he goes. So he might have to jump "close" to the destination then travel in a slower (but still, plenty fast for us) speed to get there.....such as when he had to limp in to Bespin in the 2nd movie.

When my father first saw Airwolf do that climbing Williamson turn, he immediately declared that it was impossible, a helicopter couldn't do such! I countered with asking about not even with aux jets.....which got him to say, well, maybe. It's fantasy, live with it!

Two things. When I was playing Dr. H. Floyd in a scene, I was doing the monologue about Aerobraking around Jupiter in "2010", adjustments had to be made so I was actually talking to my lover and not a delayed message. One of my classmates noted, "If we can send ships to Jupiter, we would have bound to figure out a way to have instaneous communications.". (I do that, I like playing astronauts, divers)

Secondly, though, we might want to remember, MIGHT, that what is seen on the screen is, so very often, one way or another, a fantasy. Even if it is suppose to be real, it may not be as it appears. How many Steve Irwins did they go through to get what they showed on TV?

As I said, MIGHT. What follows may hurt sensitive ears, so if you don't want to know what goes on on the NET, don't click. (and if you are expecting the risque, don't)

Spoiler!

Movie wise, two things.

It's fantasy! Accept that there are some things in their world that may not be your world.

Secondly, don't try this at home for these people are professionals with multiple reboots.

Dissing sci fi is full of pitfalls. Kind of like people on the space shuttle making fun of how the gemini astronauts worked. The film was 35 years ago. Secondly, Was Han Solo a smuggler from earth? Just be happy he spoke English but don't get caught up on all the definitions. As a kid I thought it was odd on Star trek that the federation got to name all the aliens species. I got over that rather quickly as there was too much enjoyment in the show if you just watched it for what it was.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

.........As a kid I thought it was odd on Star trek that the federation got to name all the aliens species. I got over that rather quickly as there was too much enjoyment in the show if you just watched it for what it was.
              On a side note.

Been watching a lot of Hawaii 5-0 with Jack Lord recently. For years, I have used the example of where Danny goes to visits the Cuban aerial act (at a circus) and then tells Steve when he gets back that they seemed nervous, more than just opening night jitters.

"Well, Danny, you have to remember where they are from. In their country, a visit from the State Police is usually the end of the line.".

Used that example of how in reality, people from other walks of life may see things different.......such as the elderly black grandmother who won't say no to search when there are a number of big white deputies on her porch, because she comes from a different era.

Anyhow, came across another episode where the Council of a foreign country comes into McGarret's office, Steve greets him, asks if he pronounced his name correctly.

So curious for a rough and tough show of back then to have such detail to it. Of course, many things to it. It may have been Lord really knowing his part, the producer getting that emphasis in because McGarret is a high government representative, too. Whoever was writing the concepts perhaps knew about the small details that viewers like me lock in on. Another example, perhaps of what made the show great.

Comment

Working...
              X