Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bigfella heads for the 'Heart of Darkness'.....sorta

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
    My religion certainly is. I now understand Pete's reluctance to visit Australasian headquarters, where it's obligatory to down a flat white before you disembark the plane. Poor chap wouldn't last a minute.....
    I live in the city that invented the flat white. Worse, I live in the inner city, where people have elevated drinking coffee to some sort of religious ritual. You should see some of the looks I have received from haughty waiters & baristas when I ordered something other than coffee. I suspect that if I hadn't been born here I would never have been allowed to move here in later life.

    My reluctance to cross the dutch has more to do with the strange nature of its inhabitants.
    sigpic

    Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      I live in the city that invented the flat white.
      Ahem
      The birth of the cool - Life & Style - NZ Herald News
      I think you'll find, as I found for myself the last time I was there (1994), you invented putting cold milk in a tall black
      Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      Worse, I live in the inner city, where people have elevated drinking coffee to some sort of religious ritual.
      It is a religious ritual. I know the name of my barista (Bunny) and only accept her flat whites as the real McCoy. The rest is just coffee.
      Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      You should see some of the looks I have received from haughty waiters & baristas when I ordered something other than coffee. I suspect that if I hadn't been born here I would never have been allowed to move here in later life.
      I can imagine. You are allowed to do that here, (we even provide something called a starbucks, and tea is allowed for the greenie set) and all is good as long as you speak something other than nuzeelundish.
      Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      My reluctance to cross the dutch has more to do with the strange nature of its inhabitants.
      Well we can be scary it is true, but find Australians to stringy and tasteless unless liberally dosed with Worcestershire Sauce.
      With the large influx of pork fed poms and corn feed yanks Oztrahleaun is off all but the most rural menus.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

      Leibniz

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
        My religion certainly is.
        Can you expand that?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

        To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          Can you expand that?
          Misread on my part. My religion is in fact offended by BigFellas disdain for coffee
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

          Leibniz

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            Ahem
            The birth of the cool - Life & Style - NZ Herald News
            I think you'll find, as I found for myself the last time I was there (1994), you invented putting cold milk in a tall black
            Its coffee. You're welcome to it.

            It is a religious ritual. I know the name of my barista (Bunny) and only accept her flat whites as the real McCoy. The rest is just coffee.
            I guess if Scientology can be a religion all bets are off.

            I can imagine. You are allowed to do that here, (we even provide something called a starbucks, and tea is allowed for the greenie set) and all is good as long as you speak something other than nuzeelundish.
            I do occasionally order in a foreign accent - tourists are allowed more social transgressions.

            Well we can be scary it is true, but find Australians to stringy and tasteless unless liberally dosed with Worcestershire Sauce.
            With the large influx of pork fed poms and corn feed yanks Oztrahleaun is off all but the most rural menus.
            Poor fellow my neighbour that you eat such scraps. We feed Yanks to the crocs. They won't touch the Poms - fortunately drop bears are less discriminating. Most Aussie animals won't eat Kiwis out of pity - they know how much those remittances mean to your economy.
            sigpic

            Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              Poor fellow my neighbour that you eat such scraps.
              Well of course we are a thrifty race and since nothing else will eat them, waste not want not.

              Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              We feed Yanks to the crocs. They won't touch the Poms - fortunately drop bears are less discriminating.
              The affection of drop bears for Poms is of course well known, if inexplicable. I'm intrigued though by you feeding the Yanks to crocs. Does it improve the quality of luggage or detract from it?
              Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              Most Aussie animals won't eat Kiwis out of pity - they know how much those remittances mean to your economy.
              Now now, you know we've had this conversation before. Since we're required to run your country for you it's only fair if we loot it at the same time.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

              Leibniz

              Comment


              • #37
                Read the N.Z. Herald's article. I drink Mexican mochas...by the quart out of a 20 oz. beer mug. Three wedges of mexican chocolate with whole french roast bean ground espresso style and drip-brewed strong. Sugar but only enough milk to color and cut a tad of the acidity.

                Pete...you don't need to drink that Ethiopean bean. Just eat it or suck on the beans. You may appreciate the counter-active chemistry once you've tossed a few of those Ethiopean brews.

                Remember that which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.;)
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

                Comment


                • #38
                  BF, what is it that you have against coffee ? Is it a dislike for hot beverages so this includes <gasp> tea as well.

                  The caffeine gives you the shakes. One of my bosses was like that, tea or coffee only so long as it was decaffeinated.

                  I had couple of friends that would not touch hot beverages. Everything else was fine, just no tea or coffee.

                  Never understood why but they just did not like it.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Nov 13,, 11:46.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    BF, what is it that you have against coffee ? Is it a dislike for hot beverages so this includes <gasp> tea as well.

                    The caffeine gives you the shakes. One of my bosses was like that, tea or coffee only so long as it was decaffeinated.

                    I had couple of friends that would not touch hot beverages. Everything else was fine, just no tea or coffee.

                    Never understood why but they just did not like it.
                    I have no interest tea or coffee and there is no logical reason for it. It has never interested me in putting flavoured hot water into my mouth. It's not as if I dislike the taste it just doesn't flopped my mop. In over 40 years of knowing my wife she has never asked me if I would like a tea/coffee. Every night I set up the coffee machine for her and she enjoys a pot before going off to work. Just last Sunday we bought my son an expresso ...thingy.. and he loves it. Very nice I'm sure but not for me.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      BF, what is it that you have against coffee ? Is it a dislike for hot beverages so this includes <gasp> tea as well.

                      The caffeine gives you the shakes. One of my bosses was like that, tea or coffee only so long as it was decaffeinated.

                      I had couple of friends that would not touch hot beverages. Everything else was fine, just no tea or coffee.

                      Never understood why but they just did not like it.
                      Not really a hot beverage person. Seem to have inherited it from my mum, though both my brothers drink them. I occasionally drink the weak tea they offer in Chinese restaurants, but that is about it. Coffee has never done it for me. Don't mind the smell. Don't mind some 'coffee flavoured' sweets, don't like the drink. I'm sure that you can put enough different stuff in it to make it something I would like.....or not bother & give me a bottle of water. Quicker & probably cheaper too.

                      Can't say I'm sad about never getting hooked on caffeine.

                      Not drinking hot beverages used to cause mum no end of social awkwardness growing up in rural Australia in the 50s & 60s. Offering a cup of tea was the accepted way to begin a social interaction for women. Refusal tended to cause immediate confusion. Next would follow an offer of coffee (people sometimes had a little used jar of instant in the cupboard). When she refused that there would be an awkward, even more confused silence, sometimes followed by an offer of a cup of hot water.
                      sigpic

                      Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Yeah...not drinking coffee or tea would be a cause for social awkwardness back in the day-especially for women. My mom used to have friends drop by when we were kids and they'd sit, drink coffee and gab. The absence of coffee would have caused no end to the confusion.
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          With my mum it was sherry, bugger the tea. Depending on who was visiting it may have been followed by a comparison of which 'dieting pills' (read amphetamine) the doctor was currently prescribing for weight loss. Ah the seventies.....

                          I still have a thing for sherry.....
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

                          Leibniz

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            Not drinking hot beverages used to cause mum no end of social awkwardness growing up in rural Australia in the 50s & 60s. Offering a cup of tea was the accepted way to begin a social interaction for women. Refusal tended to cause immediate confusion. Next would follow an offer of coffee (people sometimes had a little used jar of instant in the cupboard). When she refused that there would be an awkward, even more confused silence, sometimes followed by an offer of a cup of hot water.
                            Heh. This is the case even today in India, for everybody, not just women. If you visit someone's house and refuse both tea and coffee they might even feel offended. Luckily, most Indian household's will have some sort of Sharbat in the fridge....which will be the next thing offered.

                            And if you say yes to Tea or Coffee, be prepared to get milk in it. People might ask you how much sugar you want in it, but nobody will ask if you want Milk in it. That is considered as essential an ingredient as the Tea leaves or coffee beans themselves. :)

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                              Heh. This is the case even today in India, for everybody, not just women. If you visit someone's house and refuse both tea and coffee they might even feel offended. Luckily, most Indian household's will have some sort of Sharbat in the fridge....which will be the next thing offered.
                              Sharbat = some syrup concentrate

                              Supposed to have gum arabic but not many do it like that.

                              Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                              And if you say yes to Tea or Coffee, be prepared to get milk in it. People might ask you how much sugar you want in it, but nobody will ask if you want Milk in it. That is considered as essential an ingredient as the Tea leaves or coffee beans themselves. :)
                              heh, now that you mention it yeah. Tea on the street is made with milk and coffee as well. The coffee is just one kind and hits the spot every time. Costs a fraction of the fancy this-achino or that-achino in cafes but i never tire of it.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Nov 13,, 23:31.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by S2 View Post
                                Yeah...not drinking coffee or tea would be a cause for social awkwardness back in the day-especially for women. My mom used to have friends drop by when we were kids and they'd sit, drink coffee and gab. The absence of coffee would have caused no end to the confusion.
                                When I was a kid my grandmother was taking me from school.

                                Needless to say the other elderly elders were there, too and the coffees were always on the table.

                                I remember this one very vividly. I was 7 or 8 y/o at the time...
                                One day I come from school, drop the bag, go to the kitchen to grab some food and granny tells me to ask who is for a coffee. When I asked I got almost plebiscitary 'yay', but one of the grannies said "I don't drink coffee"

                                My reaction... "Sorry, Ma'am, but what century you live in?"

                                Needless to say, she never came over. Ever.
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

                                To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X