Rhetological Fallacies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    Karl Marx. If there's one person I'd bring back to life, it would be Karl Marx, if only so I could kill the sonuvabitch again
    Karl Marx would probably be branded as agreedy enemy of the proletariat by todays progressive intelligentsia
    Last edited by Wayfarer; 23 Apr 12,, 12:22.
    "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      Personally I'm a big fan of the sweeping generalisation:)
      Its been some time you've said this and i agree this is the all time winner.

Very hard to get over if the way we conceive of the world is through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        Its been some time you've said this and i agree this is the all time winner.

Very hard to get over if the way we conceive of the world is through it.
        It's virtually a human condition, he said generalising. Gather 3 or more people together and each will develop sweeping generalisations about the other two, never mind those other buggers over there.....

I will admit I do try to treat each situation as an individual event but with humans and human actions I immediately categorise by race, religion, clothing, haircut, speech pattern and of course whether they're from Australia. The upside is most of the time after 1 minute of conversation I'm pleasantly surprised that each person is more individual than I first judged. Except neo-nazis. Never yet met one who wasn't a thick witted wanker who immediately tried to bludge a beer (they only ever seem to be in pubs)
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

It's virtually a human condition, he said generalising. Gather 3 or more people together and each will develop sweeping generalisations about the other two, never mind those other buggers over there.....

I will admit I do try to treat each situation as an individual event but with humans and human actions I immediately categorise by race, religion, clothing, haircut, speech pattern and of course whether they're from Australia. The upside is most of the time after 1 minute of conversation I'm pleasantly surprised that each person is more individual than I first judged. Except neo-nazis. Never yet met one who wasn't a thick witted wanker who immediately tried to bludge a beer (they only ever seem to be in pubs)
          Was talking about the differences between north & south Indians the other day and after i trotted out 5 generalisations in a row got shot down. I did not even realise it at the time. Easy to catch others at it, harder not to indulge in one self.

Easier to avoid when its written than spoken. More time to double check, spoken ? once uttered, its over.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 25 May 13,, 11:55.

Comment

Working...
          X