Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Model Army

What would it be? Ill put mine down later

The current IDF, with alot of F-14D's, and a $hitload of US Marines/Rangers.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Just my $0.02 but my model army would be tailored to the needs and BUDGET of my country. For example, I wouldnt invest in all sorts of high-technology (and therefore hideously expensive) equipment that I could not afford to support or train my soldiers on. On the other hand, I would invest in a lot of Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) equipment since so much military technology has found it's way to the civilian market, GPS being one of the most obvious examples. In fact there is going to be a show on the History Channel called (i think) From Tactical To Practical or something like that, that will detail just how much military tech has been converted to the civilian market. Anyway, back to "my" army.
      Along with investing in COTS equipment, I would go with tried and true weapons systems (again, the type that can be supported by my defense budget). I'm thinking AK-type rifles for the infantry just for that reason. Also, a nice mix of tracked and wheeled vehicles for mechanized forces.
      The biggest emphasis would be on creating an army with professional, career NCO's and officers as it's backbone. After all, what good is a bunch of brand new main battle tanks without the men to operate and command them?
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Plus, you can get AK's cheap from many different sources.
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

My feelings exactly. The whole point of my army would be one of cost-effectiveness and simplicity with the main overriding goal of training as you fight/fight as you train. I think my army's motto would be KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.
          Yeah, it'd be really nice to have a bunch of shiny hi-tech vehicles and weapons systems but to what point?
          I would also develop a SPEC OPs community using the Polish GROM as a model. Poland is not exactly a rich country but they've managed to put together (in my opionion) a first-class commando force and they did it without the high-tech toys that the US has. I read a few articles on GROM and noted that they have been in demand quite a bit. There's a reason for that and it's not their gear. (again, in my humble opinion :) ).
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Having been in pissing contests with the civie leadership, your version of the army ain't practical simply because it may not be what the civies wanted it to be.

Procurement is never as simple as KISS. Economic and political payback is a necessary consideration. Yes, you can buy an AK clone for $75Cdn per rifle at 10,000 copies but you can't get NORINCO to build the plant and employ Canadians at that price. A rule of thumb is that the civies will always want to spend their money on their own people and it's easier to get procurement that way than trying to stem your bleeding ulcers to get best buy.

While the Poles have been able to find a niche for their military, it ain't practical nor desirable for everyone to copy their vision. Namely because alliances have a tendency not to follow through (NATO didn't participate in Iraq). If you want to have an independent foreign policy instead of following the leader, then you've got to have a well rounded military force to enforce your goals.

Comment

Well put.

Comment

I wasnt sure of the parameters I had to work in, so I just gave my version of a model army. Yes indeed, reality has this way of intruding on "the perfect model". I suppose I should have clarified from the get-go that this was a "model" or more accurately a "fantasy" army. (Alright, no Fantasy Island jokes! :D )

Comment

Working...
                X