• Comment

• Artist's impression of the Berlin Wall
      Attached Files
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
        Artist's impression of the Berlin Wall
        Still have a couple of lumps somewhere. Visited couple of months after it fell. Spent new years eve, drinking ontop of what was left with a quarter of a million ecstatic germans around

That wall might have come down but i sense others sprung up elsewhere. Ukraine ?

Such a simple time those days
        Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Sep 17,, 19:37.

Comment

• Somewhat interestingly the only part that is left is a 70m section that the East-German government placed under memorial protection on Oct 2nd 1990 - the day before they ceased existing.

Comment

• This part seems intact, and in place.
            Attached Files
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

• Got to see it up close and personal when the Cold War was very much still a Thing...October 1983. I was XO of a rifle company that was in Berlin for 2 weeks of training. Went in early to handle the logistics, etc. Headed down to Checkpoint Charlie when I had an afternoon off.

I have a picture of me leaning against the Wall.

I have a piece of concrete at home from The Wall a friend sent me when it came down.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

• What got me about the concrete was how heavy it was for a given volume. It took work to break this concrete into smaller bits

This is german concrete they have their standards

This is berlin wall concrete so has to be better than german standards

The concrete i played with elsewhere was something else

That wall if left would last thousands of years. Turns out it didn't even make it to a hundred
                Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Sep 17,, 17:17.

Comment

• Where is TopH? He's not been here since the landfall of hurricane Irma. I hope he's alright. Can someone verify?
                  Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                    Where is TopH? He's not been here since the landfall of hurricane Irma. I hope he's alright. Can someone verify?
                    He's doing okay.

I've been in contact with him on Facebook. Had some power issues but that's about it.

I don't even think he had to break into the emergency Cheetos bunker.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Stunning images of what they did with all of the cars in Houston after they pulled them out of the water.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/heres-...can-1818579633
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        He's doing okay.

I've been in contact with him on Facebook. Had some power issues but that's about it.

I don't even think he had to break into the emergency Cheetos bunker.
                        Just saw this post. Thank you AR.

Radhe Maa takes SHO's chair, Delhi Police begin probe

Goes on to show how dumb certain section of educated Indians could be. Putting a bimbo on a higher pedestal.
                        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• What the hell!

If this can be channelled, none will sleep hungry.

Comment

• If it’s October, it’s time to honor the Great American Pastime with two baseball related items:

First official Cubs World Series ring hits secondary market
                            Opening bid: $1908, although the Cubs have the right to buy it back for $1.
                            https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...ondary-market/

Every Hot Dog in Major League Baseball, Ranked

The team may have ended the season 40 games out, but San Francisco apparently has the best hot dogs. My sympathies to anyone Braves fans … dead last in the doggy derby.
                            https://lifehacker.com/every-hot-dog...ked-1819249617
                            Trust me?
                            I'm an economist!

Comment

• First, the good news: my family are all safe, but worried. Santa Rosa is engulfed in forest fires on the north, and the death toll is rising.

But. . . .
                              Sometime in the next day we will probably have confirmation that the neighborhood where my parents live is gone. They were able to take their cherished dog and cat, a small box of vital documents and a flashlight. They are now at my brother's house, about five miles away. Brother and his wife also are preparing to evacuate. Sister and her husband are a further five miles away, but possibly closer to an alternative fire route, if the wind changes.

And, it is likely that the cold storage where we stored our wine burned as well.

Safe is important.
                              Things can be replaced.
                              Insurance is nice.

Today would be a really good day to double-check that emergency kit in the back of the closet.
                              Trust me?
                              I'm an economist!

Comment

• My parents lost everything in the Santa Rosa fire, 65 years worth of married life mementos.

On the bright side, this is how insurance is supposed to work—

“[My brother] was working on [my parents’] insurance yesterday and good old AMICA that they’ve been with for 65 years (and Grandma and Granddaddy before that) came through once again. You’d think that after all the disasters our family has wrought on them- 1971 earthquake, my driving, 1994 earthquake, Oxnard house, water damage on Massimo- that they would give up on us but no, they came through once again.

On the first call they did all the talking with me [my brother] and even without M&D [our parents] able to give them permission yet, explained the benefits, sent a young lady personally to the house with a debit card loaded with $10,000 to buy essentials and took M&D’s bank information to wire another $50,000 today for same.
                                They will have about $850,000 to rebuild which should be more than enough. They also (again, on the first call) put into action a home finding service here and said they have $185,000 in housing benefits available ($185,000/$3,000 = almost six years of rent during a rebuild).”
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X