This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE,

Before COVID hit we were 60,000 truck drivers short. These are folks who hold a commercial driver's license who drive the 18 wheel semis. COVID has exacerbated it as initially producers in Asia were suppressed and Americans started buying more and more online. Prior to COVID Amazon's fleet of home delivery trucks was restricted to certain areas...now they are ubiquitous. I see 6 - 8 trucks in my neighborhood every single day.

The driver shortage is not going away anytime soon and we will have problems for a long time.

As for infrastructure...we are decades behind on what needs to be done...both new and repair. The infrastructure bill in the Senate now is desperately needed. And as for cost? Money now is ridiculously cheap...under 1% interest from the Fed. Spending on infrastructure is not going to damage the economy...it will only improve it.

Research conducted over the past 25 years has established beyond a doubt that public infrastructure investment generates high returns. A recent summary of that research finds that the rate of return on public investment is between 15 and 45 percent, higher than rates of return on private sector investments. The summary concludes:

In short, the research is clear that public investment should boost measured economy-wide productivity while also spreading the benefits of this growth more broadly and increasing quality of life that is not captured in productivity statistics.
    https://www.gradingstates.org/the-re...-high-returns/
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      Still the hottest woman on the planet

Click image for larger version

Name:	naldxwqtiqd71.png
Views:	52
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	1574905
      North Korea?
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Kim Yo Jong

Kim Jong Un's sister. Probably the 2d most powerful person in North Korea

Said this over the weekend
        “For some days I have been hearing an unpleasant story that joint military exercises between the South Korean army and the U.S. forces could go ahead as scheduled,” Kim Yo Jong said.

“I view this as an undesirable prelude which seriously undermines the will of the top leaders of the North and the South wishing to see a step taken toward restoring mutual trust and which further beclouds the way ahead of the North-South relations,” she said.

She added: “Our government and army will closely follow whether the South Korean side stages hostile war exercises in August or makes other bold decision.”
        Rumor has it that she had some lower level officials executed just cause they pissed her off.. The Jarhead part of my brain wants to party with her

Comment

• The word for today is: Shit!

Into quarantine for the second time. First time was positive so will see how this one comes out.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            The word for today is: Shit!

Into quarantine for the second time. First time was positive so will see how this one comes out.
            Oh crap!!!

Well I hope your negative for symptoms nad back at ASAP.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Like a young Marine at the VD clinic, I hope everything comes back negative for you

Comment

Like a young Marine at the VD clinic, I hope everything comes back negative for you
                Tested today and now need to wait 3-4 days for results. In the meantime I had to shut down the practice once again. I went in Monday to make all the calls and everybody understood just fine. Some saying I had to get well. However, a person unknown to me, walked in while I was doing that and I backed away from him and got my mask on. He asked me to help him with something while I am coughing. Despite telling him I couldn't help, he said he was vaccinated and I said SO WAS I, he walked out pissed...

Comment

Kim Yo Jong

Kim Jong Un's sister. Probably the 2d most powerful person in North Korea

Said this over the weekend

Rumor has it that she had some lower level officials executed just cause they pissed her off.. The Jarhead part of my brain wants to party with her
                  What, praying mantis style?
                  If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post

What, praying mantis style?
                    As Thomas Jefferson once said

With Great risk comes great rewards

Comment

• Interesting take of Australia's future Defense Policy from some experts in the field;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCqXlDjx18
                      Last edited by Monash; 06 Aug 21,, 02:44.
                      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Friends down from Georgia, (we are all vaccinated) had a big lunch of Soegogi-gui (grilled pork belly ate like a wrap) and Soju. I feel the nap coming on

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          DE,

Before COVID hit we were 60,000 truck drivers short. These are folks who hold a commercial driver's license who drive the 18 wheel semis. COVID has exacerbated it as initially producers in Asia were suppressed and Americans started buying more and more online. Prior to COVID Amazon's fleet of home delivery trucks was restricted to certain areas...now they are ubiquitous. I see 6 - 8 trucks in my neighborhood every single day.

The driver shortage is not going away anytime soon and we will have problems for a long time.

As for infrastructure...we are decades behind on what needs to be done...both new and repair. The infrastructure bill in the Senate now is desperately needed. And as for cost? Money now is ridiculously cheap...under 1% interest from the Fed. Spending on infrastructure is not going to damage the economy...it will only improve it.

https://www.gradingstates.org/the-re...-high-returns/
                          Passed in the senate now it has to get through the house.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85303977.cms

hmm, opposition is going to haggle things down.

Dems control the house so chances of passing look good ?

This infrastructure debate has been going on for decades.

When you cross over into Scotland from England you can tell immediately.

English build with red bricks and Scots use grey bricks.

You don't notice that when you cross the US border into Canada.

What i noticed was Canada looked brand new and cleaner.

This was twenty years back.
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Aug 21,, 11:38.

Comment

Yes same feeling and a week later. Running a temperature. Called the doc. Put me on paracetamol and anti-biotics.

Get this, the doc does not see anyone in person. All consultations over video call. That's how he's been operating since this pandemic began last year.

Pulse oximeter around 95. Spent the next couple of days in bed and avoided everyone in the house.

Few days later, fever's gone and no need for a covid test.

Must have been viral.

Couldn't figure out how it happened. I wear masks every where except when i take deliveries.

We came out of lockdown a month ago.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Aug 21,, 11:56.

Comment

• The Asian Development Bank has released “Key Indicators for Asia and the Pacific 2021,” its annual data dump for economies from Japan to Pakistan to the South Pacific islands.

https://www.adb.org/publications/key...d-pacific-2021

Annual data for 2000 to 2020 cover population, labor force, national accounts (supply and demand side, nominal and real, for many economies), investment financing, production indices, energy production and usage, prices (wholesale, retail, and deflators), money supply, interest rates, government financing (not always up-to-date), trade values and directions, balance of payments, and national debt.

All data are free, and in easy-to-use spreadsheets. It is also possible to find older spreadsheets with data dating back much further, although definitions and lay outs will vary.

Regional tables cover sustainable development goals: poverty, hunger, health, and education.

This is the only place for such insights as 166.88 million “work hours lost, expressed as number of full-time employment jobs” … or 8% of the total number of jobs. The breakdown: 85.18 mn (13.6%), in South Asia; 37.38 mn (4.1%) in East Asia; 28.31 mn (8.4%) in Southeast Asia; 11.99 mn (9.2%) in Central and West Asia; and 94,291 jobs (2.4%) in the Pacific.

Trust me?
                              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Passed in the senate now it has to get through the house.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85303977.cms

hmm, opposition is going to haggle things down.

Dems control the house so chances of passing look good ?

This infrastructure debate has been going on for decades.

When you cross over into Scotland from England you can tell immediately.

English build with red bricks and Scots use grey bricks.

You don't notice that when you cross the US border into Canada.

What i noticed was Canada looked brand new and cleaner.

This was twenty years back.
                                Where did you cross over the border from Canada to the US?

Also, in the US you can see a difference in crossing the border from state to state on the Interstate Highways.

As for the House, the issues there are the more liberal members of the Democratic Party caucus want to have a companion bill on what they are calling Human Architecture (Child Care/Health Care/Living Wage) and a Voting Rights Bill tied to the Senate passed Infrastructure Bill. So much negotiation still to come.

And, yes, infrastructure has been a long time discussed...but between the rise of the tax cutting in the 1990s any tax which could be used to pay for it (a fuel tax increase/usage fees) have all died due to GOP pushback...and the result is we have some serious infrastructure issues to deal with all over our country.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X