X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SriLanka View Post
    Hi all, new guy here.

Found this site while digging for more info. on Ukraine.

A lot of well educated folks at this site !
    Nice to have you with us.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• hello, i am from vietnam

Comment

• hello, l live in ha noi

Comment

• Hello Hero from Ha Noi.
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Welcome ,

Comment

• Not a lot to say, just an average guy with an interest in foreign policy/foreign affairs. No military background

Comment

• Welcome, Twain.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• New Member from Cape Town

Hi to all. I'd love to post an intro but please can someone tell me how. I've looked on the introduction page but for the life of me I can-not see where or how to post a thread. Please help me. I'll mainly be posting on the modelling forum.
                  John the Pom

Comment

• Originally posted by John the Pom View Post
                    Hi to all. I'd love to post an intro but please can someone tell me how. I've looked on the introduction page but for the life of me I can-not see where or how to post a thread. Please help me. I'll mainly be posting on the modelling forum.
                    John the Pom
                    John, welcome. Just post a few words about what you do and your interests. You can skim back in this thread to see how others do it. Enjoy the WAB.. Our model forum is awesome as you've already seen.
                    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Howdy, all.

Goodbye, Hero!
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Hello all. Just arrived on the World Affairs Board and I am looking forward to good conversations.

Comment

• Welcome aboard , with a name like yours your in the right place , enjoy

Comment

• Welcome !

Our best greeting from the WAB crowd.

Comment

• Welcome, wardog. Enjoy. :)
                              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Introduction from John the Pom ( cape Town)

Hi All at WAB :Dancing-Banana:
                                I was born & bred in Watford UK. Became interested in military history when I started making plastic models ( Airfix). Joined the A.T.C. ( Air Training Corp. Like a boys Royal Air Force ) 2F Squadron at the age of 14 mainly to further my interest in aircraft. At one time I had build every model plane that Airfix had ever issued. (See my future posts in the Models Corner.). Sort of gave-up making models in the mid
                                60's as ther was just tooo many being released to keep track of them all and build them. Also became interested in naval history mainly WW2 and a bit of WW1 again thanks to Airfix 600 scale models. Became concerned about the UK and US nuclear deterrent policy and joined the ban-the bomb movement, that did not go down to well at the ATC. Also things like going out with my mates, drinking, motor-bikes and girls etc took on more interest.
                                In the late 50's I took-up competition swimming and represented the ATC up to national level, Boy Scouts up to regional level' and of course my own club again up to regional level. Left the swimming club when I had had enough of parents and not swimmers running the club and took up life-saving eventually gaining the Surf Life Saving Bronze to do surf life saving on the beaches in Cornwall in 68 and 69: halcyon days. When I was not doing my Beach-Bum bit, I worked in the printing industry, gravure magazine printing. Met many ex-WW2 veterans and heard some really good stories; wish I had a tape recorder to record them as those veterans are now very scarce and their stories are dying with them.
                                1971 moved to Durban South Africa to help start up a gravure printing factory, and to do some surfing in warm water. Left SA in 73 and returned to UK with a bride, Just before Christmas, right at the start of the miner's strike and the 3 day week. Went up to London to show my new South African wife the Christmas lights and the only lights working were the traffic lights. Returned to SA Cape Town in 75 again in the printing industry. 76 moved back to Durban. 83 back to Cape town and here I've stayed.
                                Did some voluntary surf life saving at Amanzimtoti when I returned to Durban in the late 70's. Joined the Masters Swimming in Cape Town and managed to win a couple of Golds in My age group at the SA Nationals when they were held in Cape Town. Now I only swim for fun.
                                Retired in 2010 from the printing industry so now I have lots of tomorrows to do as I wish if my second wife lets me. Before I retired I added quite a few more kits to my stash from the 60's. I mainly collected WW2 aircraft of the German, Italian, French and Japanese all from the 60's, since them I've add some armour models ( again German WW2 ) in 1/72 sale and quite a few 350 scale ships. that's how I came across this site as I was looking for information on the USN Missouri. Started mine in about 1996 but soon realised I needed to get some practice especially for the GM brass etch.
                                Well that's about it. Hope to see you in the modellers corner soon.
                                Merry be John the Pom

Comment

Working...
                                X