No announcement yet.

New computer stats & Sound card questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in Israel. Pretty damn hot here. The CPU is almost always at 50-52, pretty much from as soon as Windows 7 loads. The HDD is at 37
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

yikes! and I thought India was hot!
      But aren't you mostly in air conditioned rooms when using it?
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Air conditioning. Yeah. Why use air conditioning if you can use a highly inefficient mostly broke down ceiling fan?
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
          I use a laptop , which runs like a snail , it has 1gb of ram ?? which i am told is the reason for the snailspace , how do i upgrade it ,, forsooth , (cheaply) ;)
          My desktop, my main game machine, is still running a pair of memory totally 1GB that I bought 6 years ago. It's a little slow, but still working. Everything else besides the hard drive was from 3.5 years ago. I just bought new hard drives to store all my pr0n...I mean precious research data.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            My desktop, my main game machine, is still running a pair of memory totally 1GB that I bought 6 years ago. It's a little slow, but still working. Everything else besides the hard drive was from 3.5 years ago. I just bought new hard drives to store all my pr0n...I mean precious research data.
            Same story here, except for that damn power problem (that prompted me to get a new comp in the first place) I'd still have my old one, at least until early next year. I had 1.5 GB DDR2 RAM and most everything worked just fine.

I was perfectly content with it (and not having to shell out for a new one!) :(
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              Same story here, except for that damn power problem (that prompted me to get a new comp in the first place) I'd still have my old one, at least until early next year. I had 1.5 GB DDR2 RAM and most everything worked just fine.

I was perfectly content with it (and not having to shell out for a new one!) :(
              DDR2? Luxury! My computer is still running a pair of DDR modules, totalling 1GB of PC3200 goodness.

Comment

DDR2? Luxury! My computer is still running a pair of DDR modules, totalling 1GB of PC3200 goodness.
                Oh yeah it was nice...except when I tried to play massive games of Empire At War!

I had to turn virtually all the graphics settings to practically zero and hope like hell that it didnt freeze up when there was 200 fighters swarming around 2 dozen capital ships, everybody shooting at everything in sight!

Can't wait to see those ships in their fullly rendered detail!
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Oh yeah it was nice...except when I tried to play massive games of Empire At War!

I had to turn virtually all the graphics settings to practically zero and hope like hell that it didnt freeze up when there was 200 fighters swarming around 2 dozen capital ships, everybody shooting at everything in sight!

Can't wait to see those ships in their fullly rendered detail!
                  Empire at War...not familiar with that game.

Have you ever tried Supreme Commander? That game will kill just about any system right now, 3 years after it came out. Of course it could be a poorly coded network protocol.

Comment

Empire at War...not familiar with that game.

Have you ever tried Supreme Commander? That game will kill just about any system right now, 3 years after it came out. Of course it could be a poorly coded network protocol.
                    Star Wars Empire at War, and it's expansion, Forces Of Corruption, is a oldish RTS from 2006.

Not without it's flaws but still lots of fun for someone like me, especially with the massive amounts of player-mods out there.

Haven't played Supreme Commander but I'll have to give it a closer look :)

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
                      Ahhh.. A CIV 4 fan... you bought the computer at the best time possible, CIV 5 is to be released this fall :)
                      Indeed it is...and after Colonization, it damn well has some redeeming to do for the Civ team. I mean seriously, WTF?

Nice to see that it'll have hexes instead of squares, that's annoyed me for quite some time now.

The problem is, after Civ IV, they've really got to do something really killer to make it stand out. Civ III, while advanced, was still a slight disappointment, which made Civ IV such a delight.

I've been a Civ player since the beginning so I'll probably buy V no matter what

Comment

The double posting and time stamp issue are being looked into by the way. :)

Comment

Ahhh.. A CIV 4 fan... you bought the computer at the best time possible, CIV 5 is to be released this fall :)

Comment

Star Wars Empire at War, and it's expansion, Forces Of Corruption, is a oldish RTS from 2006.

Not without it's flaws but still lots of fun for someone like me, especially with the massive amounts of player-mods out there.

Haven't played Supreme Commander but I'll have to give it a closer look :)
                            If you like empires at war might I suggest Sins of a Solar Empire. Made by the same folks behind Alpha Centauri II, the spaceborne version of the Civ series of games.
                            Beautiful looks lots of spaceships and excellently nuanced and balanced gameplay.

Comment

Ah ddr1 those were the days....
                              Sadly I seem to have killed my old RAM when moving my old machine into another cabinet in order to install my current one.
                              Sniff.. two beautiful sticks of OCZ platinum PC3200 destroyed..

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                                If you like empires at war might I suggest Sins of a Solar Empire. Made by the same folks behind Alpha Centauri II, the spaceborne version of the Civ series of games.
                                Beautiful looks lots of spaceships and excellently nuanced and balanced gameplay.
                                I'll give it a look, thanks! :)

Well it finally shipped and I'm tracking it via UPS...won't be here until Wednesday.

I'm chewing oak planks into mulch just thinking about it

Comment

Working...
                                X