No announcement yet.

New earth like planet found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at any Civil War and see how easy it is to turn to genocide.

Comment

(Science Fiction Alert)

Above the distant planet, a very large ship rests easily in a distant orbit. The ship is enormous - about a kilometer long - with a much larger high denisty energy shield surrounding it - reaching out to a radius of nearly 200 kilometers. This field's shadow, cast on the planet below, causing scientists on the Earth to declare the oxygen rich planet orbiting the yellow-orange star to have a moon. Of little near term consequence to the Earth observers, being 47 light years away - with no Earthly technology capable of visiting this world in the next century or two. The inhabitants of the newly discovered world are suffering no such restrictions or misconceptions, with their knowledge of Earth being considerably more detailed and accurate, given their many visits over the last few millenia. Still the relatively benevolent inhabitents of this world (and its Stellar Federation) present no existential threats to the Earth. This is most fortunate for the Earth, as some entities, known to these beings, which happen to be too distant for detection using optical methods, are considerably more malevolent. However the beings living here, who have united this star group with their fleet of starships, are an insurmountable obstacle to them, preventing the intrustion of these malevolent species into this region of space. The technology employed by this world would appear to current Earth scientists much as the current USN would have appeared to prehistoric humans - given the ~80,000 year technology gap.
      Attached Files
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        Look at any Civil War and see how easy it is to turn to genocide.
        Civil wars are always 'nasty" (as opposed to all the other civilized ones :confu:) but in any case I wasn't talking about a war type scenario just a first contact scenario. My point was that shooting first and asking questions later isn't likely to be humanities first response in such cases, especially when dealing with less technically advanced species. With an advanced species and given the choice it is even less likely since as I have pointed out in other posts if there's one thing humans like to do more than fight its make a profit (trade).
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
          [ATTACH]32169[/ATTACH]
          (Science Fiction Alert)

The technology employed by this world would appear to current Earth scientists much as the current USN would have appeared to prehistoric humans - given the ~80,000 year technology gap.
          80,000 years??? I'm no even sure that kind of number has meaning. Someone from 200 years ago would have trouble identifying many everyday pieces of modern technology e.g mobile phone and laptops let alone have any understanding the principals involved in their operation, which if explained would seem like magic. I'm not sure any technological species could survive 8000 years let alone 80,000 without reaching some kind of 'singularity event' beyond which a species at our level of development and theirs could even interact.
          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
            80,000 years??? I'm no even sure that kind of number has meaning. Someone from 200 years ago would have trouble identifying many everyday pieces of modern technology e.g mobile phone and laptops let alone have any understanding the principals involved in their operation, which if explained would seem like magic. I'm not sure any technological species could survive 8000 years let alone 80,000 without reaching some kind of 'singularity event' beyond which a species at our level of development and theirs could even interact.
            You could be right, but IMO, we don't know much about other civilizations, since we don't have any information available for any other worlds. We have only Earth to look at at this point, and only about 5000 - 6000 years of history here, most of it incomplete. It is science fiction, and it is intended to be very positive and optomistic (for humanity) - much more so the the StarTrek universe.
            Last edited by USSWisconsin; 05 Mar 13,, 16:59. Reason: spelling corrections
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Homo Sapiens has a history of ~ 75,000 years, but a recorded history of perhaps 6,000 years. I don't have any problem seeing a sentient species prospering 100,000+ years... it all depends upon energy and resources. If these inexorable problems can be solved, then what is to stop them from thriving?

Comment

'Earth 2.0' is almost in sight: Scientist claims Gemini camera could help find alien life within 10 years | Mail Online
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                X