A small victory dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A small victory dance

This graph has been my life for the past two years.

At times after being masked up at work all day, enforcing strict separation, masking, sanitizing and hygiene amongst all my workers, I've then had to come home, strip off in the anteroom, bundle my work clothes into a bag and then into the washing machine, wash my hands and bits and pieces with medical grade sanitizer, then shower, before I could even give my girlfriend a kiss.

I have been unable to see my children for up to three months at a time.

As an "essential worker", then "critical worker" I've been told that I must go to work when the rest of the country shelters at home.

That if I refuse I can be instantly dismissed with no recourse to welfare.

This still stands and the government has no plans to revoke this.

Even during the 'covid free' periods when the general public have been doing what they like I've been mandated to be masked and constantly sanitizing, along with all my team.

I've been required, as has all my team, to be compulsorily vaccinated or be instantly fired, and face a form of home detention.
    I have been required to fire three people under those terms for refusing to be vaccinated.

All this is of course grossly offensive to my political and social sensibilities, but I've gone along with even the most idiotic of government mandates, because supporting my people is what I do.

Over this time my people and I have suffered near constant abuse from the general public, outraged that their trinkets have taken three days to get to them rather than one.

Roughly 30% of NZ's workers are classed as "critical".

We've carried the other 2/3rds of often entitled lard-arsed racist abusive bludgers for two years, by law.

For roughly 5 million people, NZ has had 610 covid related deaths thus far.

This low number is not why I'm celebrating.

I am celebrating because for the first time in two years I walked into a fish and chip shop without a mask, stared down all the general public who were masked and looked like they wanted to say something, got my F&C and left.

The mask mandate has been lifted, though still recommended.

I'm done.

This time next year I will be living on another of our islands, far away from our inner city elite, working for myself and building a new house with my girlfriend.

Last edited by Parihaka; 22 Apr 22,, 09:08.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

May I ask out of curiosity which island? (I'm assuming from the get go BTW that the 'island' in question is not Australia. Given the fact that Australia is referred to by some people as 'an island off the coast of New Zealand'!)
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
      May I ask out of curiosity which island? (I'm assuming from the get go BTW that the 'island' in question is not Australia. Given the fact that Australia is referred to by some people as 'an island off the coast of New Zealand'!)
      I usually refer to Aussie as 'the large sand dune off our west coast'. ;)

The Island in question is Waiheke, close to Auckland but a light year away in terms of rat-race.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post

I usually refer to Aussie as 'the large sand dune off our west coast'. ;)

The Island in question is Waiheke, close to Auckland but a light year away in terms of rat-race.
        Know it well. My in-laws nearly bought a place there years ago.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post

Know it well. My in-laws nearly bought a place there years ago.
          Cool, we of course will have no running water or sewerage and the road up to our spot is a goat track. Seriously looking forward to it.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post

Cool, we of course will have no running water or sewerage and the road up to our spot is a goat track. Seriously looking forward to it.
            You live in New Zealand. You have plenty of running water (just stand outside) and all the roads are goat tracks :).
            Last edited by Monash; 12 Jul 22,, 02:55.

Comment

Working...
            X