Covid Origins: Lab leak hypothesis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    Where are these patients located in China ?
    Simple enough answer. Misdiagnosed. Most people and doctors simply believe it was the flu. Do note htat the intitial infected group would be extremely small since the virus did not have a chance to spread yet and no one knew about the virus until people start flooding the hospitals.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    If we go the no intermediary host route then it means we can be directly infected by these bats.

Why an Intermediate Host May Not Be Essential for the Evolution of SARS-CoV-2 | Medium | Mar 31 2021

You are quoting the Glasgow study ?
    That was one of the papers I've read. Read so many and watched so many doctors, it's hard to recall each specific items.

How do they explain no bat researchers falling sick in the field.

It took 5 years to find RATG13. That's a lot of bats they handled.
    Who said they didn't get sick but who does field work? Those who can climb and walk miles into caves, ie healthy and fit individuals. Most COVID-19 infections are just flu like symptons that most healthy individuals fight off with zero after effects. The workers thought they got the flu, took sick days, and then went back to work.

But accidental leak is plausible.
    But there is EXACTLY ZERO intel that they've worked on SARS-COV-2 before the virus was discovered. I know. Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack but we must be able to assert some intel.
    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 21 Jun 21,, 15:07.
    Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Why are you so determine to prove bio deployment?
      Not bio deployment. But military experiments.

If the civiies are doing GoF why would the PLA not do it.

If you can have a leak, then its a leak from a military experiment.

You'd think they'd have an antidote but that isn't necessary. You do GoF to see how the virus can evolve and then an accident happens.

Posted already that accidents are not that rare, in fact they happen and in many countries. Human error.

Are we sure there is no PLA involvement with that lab ?
      Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jun 21,, 16:31.

Comment

Simple enough answer. Misdiagnosed. Most people and doctors simply believe it was the flu. Do note htat the intitial infected group would be extremely small since the virus did not have a chance to spread yet and no one knew about the virus until people start flooding the hospitals.
        It's not following the pattern of previous coronaviruses.

This one is stealthy. Lies low until a critical mass is reached and then it gets virulent as enough people are present for mutations.

That is quite an act to pull off isn't it. To get people flooding the hospitals like as if a switch got tripped.

The gestation period is long, But people don't sit put, they travel.

I would expect a few cases showing up in various places. No pattern. No chance of misdiagnosis here. These people all have the same unexplained pneumonia.

But from what we've seen the cases only showed up around Wuhan and quickly.

Why Wuhan if the bats are 1,500 km away. If we accept there is no intermediary.

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        That was one of the papers I've read. Read so many and watched so many doctors, it's hard to recall each specific items.
        It's the one that matches what you've said closest. No intermediary. Long gestation period.

But there is EXACTLY ZERO intel that they've worked on SARS-COV-2 before the virus was discovered. I know. Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack but we must be able to assert some intel.
        But there is evidence. A few people already pointed out the odd bits in the genome suggesting it is man made.

Nick wade said it was Yuri Deigin's work that got him going. Posted Yuri's work here.

Very detailed and gets deep down in the weeds. Back in Apr 2020.

He seems Canadian of Russian descent going by his twitter page. Biotech entrepreneur.

As for intel, we only get to find out after Labour day.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jun 21,, 16:33.

Comment

• This is China. Not the West. No money. No talk. You've got your basic CCP provided care. Hospital stays and expensive tests are from your pockets.

And again, we have exactly ZERO intel the WIV was working on SARS-COV-2. The only thing we do know is that they were working with bats (well, duh, being a SARS and MERS centre) but that is a far, far, far cry to suggesting that they had test tubes of SARS-COV-2 growing in their labs.
          Chimo

Comment

• Yuri & Brett have made a film together

and another that takes a deeper dive

Comment

• I stop listening after his bs about following the science. I am not one to follow the science. I am one to follow the intelligence which in this case happens to include science. There is zero intel about WIV working with SARS-COV-2 and I'm talking about CIA, DIA, CDC. We have exactly zero intel on that.
              Chimo

Comment

• The COVID lab-leak hypothesis: what scientists do and don’t know | Nature
                Chimo

Comment

I stop listening after his bs about following the science. I am not one to follow the science.
                  He's not the one saying follow the science. The people arguing for natural say it when they then want to discount lab leak

I am one to follow the intelligence which in this case happens to include science.
                  WIV's database that went missing Sept 2019 cataloguing the viruses they were working on. 15,000 samples related to bats out of a total of 22,000 samples. Full credit to drastic for discovering this.

Sept 2019 ? nobody knew about this virus back then. Why take it offline. This database is the best source for investigating whether the theory of natural spillover of SARS-2 is plausible.

statements issued do not make any sense since the main database was taken offline on the 12 Sep 2019, 3 months at least before the official start of the pandemic. So either the reason given for taking the database off is not correct (which raises more questions), or the statement points at an outbreak in Sep 2019.
                  The lab has not been very forthcoming to support their case, they seem to be covering things up. The way scandals are uncovered is the cover up.

WHO team that went over did not even bother to ask for it. China owns the data, including data acquired from US funded research according to the report linked.

There is zero intel about WIV working with SARS-COV-2 and I'm talking about CIA, DIA, CDC. We have exactly zero intel on that.
                  Dated May 01 2020. Listen

Trump was asked whether he had seen evidence that WIV was the origin of the virus. He said he had.

When asked whether he would share it he says he's not allowed to do it.

After Labour day then when this probe should have something for the public.

To date all we have are some excerpts from a classified report by Lawrence Livermore.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 22 Jun 21,, 07:01.

Comment

He's not the one saying follow the science. The people arguing for natural say it when they then want to discount lab leak
                    And he is OVEREMPHASIZING the potential with zero evidence.

WIV's database that went missing Sept 2019 cataloguing the viruses they were working on. 15,000 samples related to bats out of a total of 22,000 samples. Full credit to drastic for discovering this.
                    They went off line because of a bad software patch and the roll back didn't worked! You know. Standard IT problems?

Trump was asked whether he had seen evidence that WIV was the origin of the virus. He said he had.
                    This from a guy who said he never slept with Stormy Daniels. Maybe he did some evidence. Maybe he didn't but his credibility ain't reliable.

To date all we have are some excerpts from a classified report by Lawrence Livermore.
                    And we will get the same thing. It's POSSIBLE that it's lab leaked. That's it!
                    Chimo

Comment

And he is OVEREMPHASIZING the potential with zero evidence.
                      Plenty of evidence for unnatural things in the genome if you care to look for it. Brett mentioned 4 points in the second video. Only one is circumstantial and this he thinks is weaker than the other 3 which are pretty well founded in science.

Funny thing is that host asked around for people to show up and defend natural but they declined. Heh.

What has happened is proponents of natural are on a weak wicket a year later and are less vocal than they used to be.

They went off line because of a bad software patch and the roll back didn't worked! You know. Standard IT problems?
                      But never came back, that is to say offline to the world since Sept 12 2019. Why ? Read drastic's paper i linked.

A good repository of data to make the case for natural is unavailable. Funny that.

This from a guy who said he never slept with Stormy Daniels. Maybe he did some evidence. Maybe he didn't but his credibility ain't reliable.
                      I believe everything and anything a leader says until shown otherwise. What the opposition thinks I don't pay attention to.

Ask yourself why is this lab leak theory getting legs when the man is out of office if it didn't fly when he was in office.

Why let him off so easily. The man made a claim, hold him to it.

And we will get the same thing. It's POSSIBLE that it's lab leaked. That's it!
                      So what would the purpose of the probe be then ? given it been clear for a very long time that it was possible and is now looking increasingly likely.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 22 Jun 21,, 15:58.

Comment

Plenty of evidence for unnatural things in the genome if you care to look for it. Brett mentioned 4 points in the second video. Only one is circumstantial and this he thinks is weaker than the other 3 which are pretty well founded in science.
                        I know what they are. Dr Redcliff, head of US CDC mentioned them, which is why I don't dimiss them intel but that does NOT mean that those sepacific intel OUTWEIGHTS all the others. When doing intel eval, you will ALWAYS have contradicting data.

Funny thing is that host asked around for people to show up and defend natural but they declined. Heh.

What has happened is proponents of natural are on a weak wicket a year later and are less vocal than they used to be.
                        Means nothing. Rebel Wisdom is a quack site, specializing in alternative views while ignoring facts that counter those views. Bret Weinstein & Yuri Deigin are no more qualified to comment on virology than I am. Bret Weinstein is an evolutionary biologist, not a virologist. He is as reliant on others such as Dr Redcliff for their expertise. Yuri Deigin is a money man with zero qualifications in virology research. I wouldn't go on that echo chamber and I certainly will not be basing my intel evals on their reports.

But never came back, that is to say offline to the world since Sept 12 2019. Why ? Read drastic's paper i linked.

A good repository of data to make the case for natural is unavailable. Funny that.
                        Says who? Your own link states the mirror sites outside of China are still up and still being updated by the Chinese. You know, standard IT solutions?

I believe everything and anything a leader says until shown otherwise.
                        So you believe Kim Jung Un invented the nuclear bomb? The person who destroyed Donald Trump's credibility is Donald Trump. He couldn't remember his own tweets from 24 hours ago. Hew consistently gets facts wrong, lies, and twist facts to suit his own agenda. Donald Trump is an extremely unreliable intel source.

So what would the purpose of the probe be then ? given it been clear for a very long time that it was possible and is now looking increasingly likely.
                        To clear up what the intel says and what it does not say. Not everyone is able or willing to sift through the raw intel and too many are willing to believe the propaganda. The fact remains that TODAY's intel DOES NOT point to lab leak anymore than Jan 2020.

In essence, this will be the report

The COVID lab-leak hypothesis: what scientists do and don’t know | Nature
                        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 23 Jun 21,, 20:18.
                        Chimo

Comment

I know what they are. Dr Redcliff, head of US CDC mentioned them, which is why I don't dimiss them intel but that does NOT mean that those sepacific intel OUTWEIGHTS all the others. When doing intel eval, you will ALWAYS have contradicting data.
                          Former CDC head Robert Redfield. Never ceases to amaze how former anything or retired practioners are so free to speak.

What is the contradicting data here ? i mean within the lab leak theory.

Means nothing. Rebel Wisdom is a quack site, specializing in alternative views while ignoring facts that counter those views. Bret Weinstein & Yuri Deigin are no more qualified to comment on virology than I am. Bret Weinstein is an evolutionary biologist, not a virologist. He is as reliant on others such as Dr Redcliff for their expertise. Yuri Deigin is a money man with zero qualifications in virology research. I wouldn't go on that echo chamber and I certainly will not be basing my intel evals on their reports.
                          I don't usually go for alternative news sites given the ones to do with geopolitics have been so thoroughly trashed on this board over the years

I can see the holes myself with them but this one did not trip my BS detector. I went with this one as i wanted to hear more from Brett & Yuri.

Brett makes more sense of this lab leak than genome geek Yuri. Yuri is too technical unless you're a biologist. Was hoping he would tone it down a bit but could not get much from his discussion.

They aren't ignoring any facts but countered the statements made so far. If there are any facts they missed do point them out.

There's other evolutionary biologists out there but none as outspoken as Brett. Why is that. Brett does not threaten any grants an institution might get if he kept quiet and he can't be fired because he isn't with any institution. He left the college he was with recently.

From what i've heard of him he's a pretty good teacher.

Says who? Your own link states the mirror sites outside of China are still up and still being updated by the Chinese. You know, standard IT solutions?
                          Wait...where in drastic's report does it say there are mirror sites up ?

The report at the end lists all the sites as inaccessible. They may be running internally but nothing shows up if your from outside.

Report is from Feb. Google isn't finding anything to the contrary so far.

So you believe Kim Jung Un invented the nuclear bomb? The person who destroyed Donald Trump's credibility is Donald Trump. He couldn't remember his own tweets from 24 hours ago. Hew consistently gets facts wrong, lies, and twist facts to suit his own agenda. Donald Trump is an extremely unreliable intel source.
                          There is no ambiguity here, the man was asked point blank yes or no and he replied in the affirmative.

I can't tell you if what he says is true or not only that he said it and will be held to it.

Broadly speaking what i said does not work for autocrats. But otherwise yes, going with the official line is the beaten path. Too much noise in a free system.

Rhetoric from supporters can take you quite far from it. Biden has not changed any Trump era China policy has he. More like he's quietly continued it. In substance if not tone.

To clear up what the intel says and what it does not say. Not everyone is able or willing to sift through the raw intel and too many are willing to believe the propaganda.
                          So let's do an inventory of what we got and take it from there ? you imply the exercise will lead to a dead end. Won't know more than we already do.

I think there is more going on behind the intent of this probe.

The fact remains that TODAY's intel DOES NOT point to lab leak anymore than Jan 2020.

In essence, this will be the report
                          To make this statement you need to KNOW what the intel says. Intel that still remains classified. So i'm not getting how you can call it yet.

You can second guess it but i'm trying to avoid that.

Originally posted by nature
                          Is it suspicious that no animal has been identified as transmitting the virus to humans?

Outbreak-origin investigations often take years, and some culprits remain unknown. It took 14 years to nail down the origin of the SARS epidemic, which began with a virus in bats that spread to humans, most likely through civets. To date, a complete Ebola virus has never been isolated from an animal in the region where the world’s largest outbreak occurred between 2013 and 2016.
                          They found the intermediary much faster than that. Four months according to Nick Wade's article.

Originally posted by thebulletin
                          both the SARS1 and MERS viruses had left copious traces in the environment. The intermediary host species of SARS1 was identified within four months of the epidemic’s outbreak, and the host of MERS within nine months. Yet some 15 months after the SARS2 pandemic began, and after a presumably intensive search, Chinese researchers had failed to find either the original bat population, or the intermediate species to which SARS2 might have jumped, or any serological evidence that any Chinese population, including that of Wuhan, had ever been exposed to the virus prior to December 2019.
                          It is fine that it can take long to get to the origin but can you appreciate that traces are left in the previous outbreaks that are for the most part missing with this one ?

As for finding an intermediate host animal, researchers in China have tested more than 80,000 wild and domesticated animals; none have been positive for SARS-CoV-2. But this number is a tiny fraction of the animals in the country. To narrow the search down, researchers say, more strategic testing is needed to isolate animals that are most susceptible to infection and those that come in close contact with people. They also suggest using antibody tests to identify animals that have previously been infected with the virus.
                          They've tested 80k animals so far and come out dry. Wild goose chase. It ain't there man. They're in the dark because there is no trail to follow like with the previous SARS & MERS.

“Nine out of ten times, when there’s a new outbreak, you’ll find a lab that will be working on these kinds of viruses nearby,” says Munster.

Researchers note that a coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan isn’t surprising, because it’s a city of 11 million people in a broader region where coronaviruses have been found. It contains an airport, train stations and markets selling goods and wildlife transported there from around the region5 — meaning a virus could enter the city and spread rapidly.
                          Sure like it could have emerged in any other city or more. But it emerged in Wuhan only. Wuhan was the source.

Several researchers have looked into whether features of SARS-CoV-2 signal that it was bioengineered. One of the first teams to do so, led by Kristian Andersen, a virologist at Scripps Research in La Jolla, California, determined that this was “improbable” for a few reasons, including a lack of signatures of genetic manipulation6.
                          And earlier this was my idea too from what Steven Hatfill said on Bannon's show until tantalus pointed out why it was both true & false.

You know what's missing in that nature article ? Zero mention of gain of function.

We know they did that because they published papers about it.

No comments section. Figures. They'd have got a lot of it
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Jun 21,, 20:04.

Comment

• The man's book is in Italian. No english translation yet.

Wuhan lab ‘used military as key advisers’ | The Australian | Jun 22 2021

By PHILIP WILLIAN and DIDI TANG

The laboratory at the centre of the coronavirus leak theory listed members of the Chinese military on its oversight committees and included international scientists without their knowledge, an investigation claims.

Fabrizio Gatti, an Italian author, said the Wuhan Institute of Virology deleted all of the names from its website in 2020 after he contacted the scientists to ask them about their roles.

In his book The Infinite Error: the secret story of a pandemic that should have been avoided, Gatti identified two Chinese military scientists on the committee lists, saying their presence fuelled suspicion that the laboratory was being used by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army before the pandemic.

He identified Wang Hongyang from the Second Military Medical University as the deputy director of the Academic Committee at Wuhan between 2019 and 2020, and another member as Wang Fusheng of the 302 Military Hospital of China.

Gatti emailed two questions to all 14 international members of two oversight committees responsible for the Wuhan laboratory, asking them whether they had been consulted by the Wuhan Institute of Virology at the start of the Covid-19 outbreak and when they had last visited the laboratory.

Five of the six who responded said that they were unaware they were members of the committees and had not visited the Wuhan Institute of Virology since 2012 or 2013.

Professor Christian Brechot, the former vice-president of Merieux Institute in France, said: “In fact, although they may have kept my name on the a list of their advisory committee I have not been in contact with the Wuhan Institute of Virology since the years around 2012 . . . No I have not been contacted but I had no reason to be contacted.”

Xiao-Fan Wang, of the Duke University School of Medicine in North Carolina, said he had advised the Chinese Academy of Sciences on safety standards but had not returned to Wuhan since 2013. “I have never worked in the field of virology,” he said.

The two committees on which the international scientists found themselves serving were the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases, and the International Executive Committee of Performance Evaluation. Both ostensibly provide advice on scientific research, with the second focusing on safety issues and the level of preparedness of researchers at the laboratory.

Gatti said his first step was to download as many relevant documents as possible. “The documents published in my book are strong evidence of what the US government is looking for. They have now all been deleted,” he said.

“The Chinese army is involved in this huge catastrophe, so it is unlikely the Chinese will make them available.”

The claims come as the US presses China to further investigate the possibility that the virus might have escaped from the lab, which is in the city that reported the first cases of Covid-19 in December 2019. Members of the Trump administration claimed that the lab was being used for military experiments. The Chinese government has denied the allegations.

China has cited findings by a World Health Organisation team that a leak was “extremely unlikely”, but the Biden administration has renewed the call for a further investigation as the president ordered US intelligence agencies to look into the origins of the virus.

Comment

Former CDC head Robert Redfield. Never ceases to amaze how former anything or retired practioners are so free to speak.

What is the contradicting data here ? i mean within the lab leak theory.
                              That the protein spikes are too well tailored to the human body.

I don't usually go for alternative news sites given the ones to do with geopolitics have been so thoroughly trashed on this board over the years

I can see the holes myself with them but this one did not trip my BS detector. I went with this one as i wanted to hear more from Brett & Yuri.

Brett makes more sense of this lab leak than genome geek Yuri. Yuri is too technical unless you're a biologist. Was hoping he would tone it down a bit but could not get much from his discussion.

They aren't ignoring any facts but countered the statements made so far. If there are any facts they missed do point them out.
                              Well, the two big ones are that we did not need an intermediate animal or that the intermediate host animals, and therefore, the virus, are extinct.

There's other evolutionary biologists out there but none as outspoken as Brett. Why is that. Brett does not threaten any grants an institution might get if he kept quiet and he can't be fired because he isn't with any institution. He left the college he was with recently.

From what i've heard of him he's a pretty good teacher.
                              The point is that evolutionary biologists are no more qualified to comment on virology than they are qualified to comment on nuclear weapons. It is NOT their field of expertise. And Bret certainly is no expert in laboratory work nor procedures.

Wait...where in drastic's report does it say there are mirror sites up ?

The report at the end lists all the sites as inaccessible. They may be running internally but nothing shows up if your from outside.
                              Your site says that the data is not available at least from China. The mirror sites are up. The data is still available. No lab is complaining about lack of access. Only your sensationalized site which means that report is extremely flawed and practically wrong.

Report is from Feb. Google isn't finding anything to the contrary so far.
                              Yeah, funny that. All of them points to Gravatis and Gravatis points to DRASTIC. No one else and both are sensationalized sites.

Edit: Upon further reading: The databases are replicated and mirror across the world. Each virology lab keeps a copy. The Chinese sites are now behind a firewall, access must now be on an approved list. Since there is no uproar from the CDC and others, I would assume that they still have real time access to those databases. This is a non-issue to the CDC and the world.

There is no ambiguity here, the man was asked point blank yes or no and he replied in the affirmative.

I can't tell you if what he says is true or not only that he said it and will be held to it.

Broadly speaking what i said does not work for autocrats. But otherwise yes, going with the official line is the beaten path. Too much noise in a free system.

Rhetoric from supporters can take you quite far from it. Biden has not changed any Trump era China policy has he. More like he's quietly continued it. In substance if not tone.
                              The point remains is that Trump is not a reliable intel source. He may or may not have seen such intel but he has lied too often or forgotten too much or mislead umpteenth times that anything he says cannot be relied upon. And this started from Day 1. All he had to say about Stormy Daniels is "No Comment or it's none of your business." Anything from that point has to be collaborated by other sources and Trump lied, forgotten, misinterept, mislead far, far, far more often than he told the truth.

To make this statement you need to KNOW what the intel says. Intel that still remains classified. So i'm not getting how you can call it yet.

You can second guess it but i'm trying to avoid that.
                              The thing about this specific intel gathering is that it is NOT reliant on HUMIT nor survailence. It is reliant on a microscope and MORE than one prestigious lab, not including the CDC and WIV, on it. We have Geneva, Calgary, Paris, and 3 sites in Germany AND none of them are partnered with DRASTIC nor GRAVATIS. We have plenty of intel coming from those labs.

They found the intermediary much faster than that. Four months according to Nick Wade's article.
                              That's because they had Patient Zero. A hell of a lot easier to do contact tracing if you knew how the first infected travelled.

It is fine that it can take long to get to the origin but can you appreciate that traces are left in the previous outbreaks that are for the most part missing with this one ?
                              What's the difference? You're looking for a specific bug in a specific animal. Knowing Patient Zero's travel itenary and the bug's incubation period narrows down the search area big time, don't you think? And we were lucky that the virus came from meat markets (civet cat and camel) and not from a musquitto because we still be searching.

They've tested 80k animals so far and come out dry. Wild goose chase. It ain't there man. They're in the dark because there is no trail to follow like with the previous SARS & MERS.

Sure like it could have emerged in any other city or more. But it emerged in Wuhan only. Wuhan was the source.
                              Does that surprise you? We don't even know who Patient Zero is. Well, lack of Patient Zero sure put a crimp on things, didn't it? Did Patient Zero got infected in Wuhan or travelled into Wuhan already infected? The only thing that helped narrow down the search is the colony of RATAG nearby.

And earlier this was my idea too from what Steven Hatfill said on Bannon's show until tantalus pointed out why it was both true & false.

You know what's missing in that nature article ? Zero mention of gain of function.

We know they did that because they published papers about it.
                              Because we have ZERO intel that SARS-COV-2 was worked on. We know there was GOF on other viruses. That's how they made breakthroughs on ebola but we have zero intel that anyone was working on GOF on SARS. NATURE is NOT going to write down everything they don't know like we don't know if Martians made SARS-COV-2, so that part doesn't surprise me one single bit.
                              Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 25 Jun 21,, 16:56.
                              Chimo

Comment

• Why was lab leak discounted last year and why it suddenly becomes acceptable this year has puzzled me.

US domestic politics had nothing to do with it. Trump was unhelpful but not the reason.

The reason according to Wade was the two letters in Lancet & Nature that shut down any discussion on the topic !!

Media & academia refused to talk about it. Social media enforced it.

Why does it become acceptable this year. Wade thinks its the WHO report ironically which made it clear that natural emergence was not borne out by evidence.

What got him going on lab leak ? Yuri Deigin

What made Fauci change his mind ? don't know
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 27 Jun 21,, 18:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X