• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trilokpuri Sikhs disenchanted with Prime Minister
    Manoj Kumar
    Tribune News Service

New Delhi, August 11
    Sikh families of Trilokpuri, the worst affected trans-Yamuna locality in the anti-Sikh riots, are disenchanted with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh from whom they have high hopes of getting justice.

“We were delighted on the day when Ms Sonia Gandhi announced to make Dr Manmohan Singh the Prime Minister. We thought the people responsible for the riots would be punished,” a group of families residing in Trilokpuri told The Tribune today when asked about their reaction to the Nanavati report and government’s action taken report on it.

Trilokpuri, inhabited by poor Sikhs mostly doing petty jobs like carpentry and auto driving, had witnessed a worst form of violence.

“Finally I wrote a letter to the Prime Minister before the marriage of my daughter in January this year requesting him to arrange some government financial aid for the marriage of my fifth daughter. I thought as a father he would understand how difficult it is to marry a daughter for a widow,” says Gurcharan Kaur (50) with tears in her eyes. “I had never asked for any help. Only the God knows how I raised my six daughters and a son after the killing of my husband, Naik Teja Singh, who had left for his duty in military uniform on November 2, 1984, at 5 am. He was brutally murdered by the crowd led by leaders of our locality,” she said.

“My daughter finally got married, but even today I am waiting for government assistance from the first Sikh Prime Minister of this country.”

“My husband showed the mob his identity card, pleaded for mercy but in vain. He was attacked by swords and lathis. He ran for a while but was overpowered. The protesters threw kerosene on him and pushed the body in the drainage. Someone even threw a stone on his half burnt face,” she said.

“Today I am getting a pension of Rs 2,200 per month and the compensation of Rs 3.30 lakh received a few years ago was spend on the marriage of two daughters,” she said.

Another letter was written by Riazu-din, a Supreme Court clerk, on the behalf of Nazar Singh, who lost his father Santokh Singh in the riots.

SAD stages dharna
    Tribune News Service

New Delhi, August 11
    Not satisfied with the Prime Minister’s assurance and resignation of Minister of State for Overseas Affairs Jagdish Tytler, Shiromani Akali Dal workers and 1984 anti-Sikh riot victims sat on a dharna at Parliament Street today, demanding registration of cases against Congress leaders, indicted by the Nanavati Commission, besides setting up of special courts to deal with the cases.

“We are not satisfied with Tytler’s resignation. We want four Congress leaders, whose names have appeared in the Nanavati Commission report and suspected police officials to be booked under the Section 302 of the IPC, ” General Secretary of SAD Onkar Singh Thapar said.

As per Mr Thapar, workers and victims, led by Akali Dal Delhi unit president Avtar Singh Hit had been sitting on a dharna since yesterday, after a demonstration against the action taken report on commission’s findings.

Expressing dissatisfaction at the assurance given by the Prime Minister in Parliament yesterday, Mr Thapar said it was not a question of money or compensation.” We want punishment for the guilty,” he said.

The protesters also burnt an effigy of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and raised slogans against the Congress as well as the UPA government.

Former Delhi Chief Minister Sahib Singh Verma, Ms Jaya Jaitly, Mr Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa and social activist Nafisa Ali also joined them during different parts of the day to show their support.

Comment

Call To Boycott Indian Independence Day August 15

CALL FOR SIKHS TO BOYCOTT INDIAN INDEPENDENCE DAY AUGUST 15:

Sikh groups reject PM's apology for 1984 riots
      Indo-Asian News Service
      http://www.eians.com/stories/2005/08/11/11sikh.shtml

Chandigarh, Aug 11[/b] (IANS) Sikh political and religious groups Thursday rejected the apology made by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the 1984 anti-Sikh riots that left hundreds of Sikhs dead in New Delhi and elsewhere.

The Sikh groups - led by Shiromani Akali Dal - said the apology from the Sikh prime minister was unacceptable and inadequate.

The Punjab Rights Forum called a protest day Aug 15 against what it said was the ruling Congress party's "anti-Sikh stand".

It asked Sikh men to wear black turbans and women to adorn black 'dupattas' Aug 15 as a mark of protest. It also urged Sikhs not to celebrate Independence Day.

The groups demanded that the apology for the ghastly killing of innocent Sikhs - allegedly by Congress activists and leaders in the wake of the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi by her two Sikh bodyguards, should come from the Nehru-Gandhi family and particularly from Congress president Sonia Gandhi.

Intervening in a discussion on the Nanavati Commission report on the riots in the Rajya Sabha, Manmohan Singh apologised to his Sikh community and the nation for the violence that some leaders of his Congress were accused of instigating.

"I have no hesitation in apologising not only to the Sikh community but to the nation because (the riots) negated the concept of nationhood," he said. "I bow my head in shame for what happened... but there are ebbs and tides in a nation's history."

But an Akali Dal spokesman said the prime minister's apology was misplaced since he was not even a primary member of the Congress when the killings took place in 1984.

Others who rejected the prime minister's apology included the Dal Khalsa and the Akali Dal headed by radical leader Simranjit Singh Mann.

They said the Congress had been shielding its leaders who got hundreds of Sikhs killed in 1984 and had been part of a conspiracy against the community.

The organisations said that Sikhs would never forget atrocities against them even if they forgave the perpetrators of crimes against them.
      Protest on I-Day
      http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050812/ldh1.htm

Sikhs will observe protest on August 15 across the world. Some organisations representing Sikhs said here today that they were traumatised by the Nanavati Commission Report and the “so-called action taken report” of the Congress government.

The Punjab Rights Forum, a conglomerate of various Sikh organisations, condemned the “sadistic approach” of the congress-led UPA government. It appealed to the Sikhs all over the world to observe August 15 as “protest day”.

It said: “The Sikhs all over the world should not participate in Independence Day celebration. Sikh children should not go to schools to participate in Independence Day celebrations. Sikh men should wear a black turban and the Sikh women, young and old, should wear black duppattas. Sikhs reside should hoist black flags to observe August 15 as protest day”.

The front members said: “We are particularly shocked at the un-Oxford like verbose lecture in Parliament of the Indian Prime Minister. The official response of the present UPA government is hogwash. The soft-pedaling by Dr Manmohan Singh, the dilly-dally approach of the Congress and the empty kind words of the Indian Prime Minister are symbolic of what has happened so far. We have had enough of such words, which do not mean anything”.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Punjab Ki Fauj; 12 Aug 05,, 12:08.

Comment

PJF
        How many times do you want Sonia Gandhi to apologise..on behaf of her family? (even when she personely had nothing to do in it).
        - BTW, the riots would not have started if sweats had not been distributed in some Sikh localities.
        - Have you apologised for the Air India Kanishka bombing? Have you apologised for all the deaths caused by your goons?

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Guys if u expect any justice from pseudo secularist congress party than u are wrong. They will cry foul if moslems die in riots but are sheltering tytlers & his ilk b'coz they care more for 15% ie 150 million vote bank than 2% ie 20 million vote
          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
            PJF
            How many times do you want Sonia Gandhi to apologise..on behaf of her family? (even when she personely had nothing to do in it).
            - BTW, the riots would not have started if sweats had not been distributed in some Sikh localities.
            - Have you apologised for the Air India Kanishka bombing? Have you apologised for all the deaths caused by your goons?
            No body is interested in some rubbish apology from Sonia Gandhi. That is no form of compensation or justice.

Sikhs accused of Air India bombing were found not guilty and acquitted of all charges.

Speaking of sweets being distributed, this is what Hindus of Punjab and Hindu organizations had done during Operation Bluestar.

- End

Punjab Rights Forum add appearing in Daily Ajit (Jalandhar) for call to protest and boycott India Independence Day:
            Attached Files

Comment

The Pakistani who pretends to be ASikh forgot to mention that the chief of army operations during Operation Bluestar was SIKH.

lemontree

It does not matter who started what, Indians were killed for no reason in these riots, just because two Sikh men killed the PM does not mean that thousands had to die, we are standing side by side with our fellow Indians so that they get justice and due compensation. Certainly I hope that chiefs of police stop being selected by Ministers and I also hope that Mopdi and crew suffer the same fate.

jai HInd

Comment

The best, best solution would be to arrest Kumar, and the other goons and bring them to Delhi, then Punjab tied up, and have all the residents beat and beat them publickly. Anyone who thinks thats brutal, tell that to the victims of 84'. Once these jerks go unconcious, wait for them to wake up, and do it again. But do not let them die. At the end, bring them to the heart of Amritsar, and hang them one by one. That is when, and ONLY when, Sikhs will move on from 84'. It can be done. These cowards have the blood of thousands on their hands.

I just want to mention a story from Pakistan, maybe we can learn from this. A friend of mine's dad brought home a indian newspaper in hindi/punjabi and on the main page there was a guys picture who was tied up getting the crap beat out of him. The situation was this: some old pyschopath killed around 13 or more children, CHILDREN, and was caught, so the authorities brought him to the villages which faced the trauma of losing children,a nd tied him up and let the public go at him. They beat and beat and beat him, but did not let him die. Once the beating was done, they hung him publickly. This did not end the pain of the villagers, but it did soothe them.

Also, I do not think Kumar, and the other dick faces can even survive a 10 second beating from angry sikhs, let alone a few minuits.

Comment

Who are the guilty? - Nanavati Report

How we could have come closer to the truth about ’84

KULDIP NAYAR

I find that the Justice G.T. Nanavati Commission Report on the 1984 anti-Sikh riots is not a fair document. The judge traces events more or less accurately, yet he does not come to the obvious conclusion. It is as if he is willing to strike but is afraid to wound. He rejects the argument that what happened was “merely a spontaneous reaction of the angry public” after Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her two Sikh guards. He goes as far as to say: “The systematic manner” in which the Sikhs were killed indicated that “the attacks on them were organised”. But he holds back when, as a judge, he should have gone further to probe who organised these systematic attacks.

Again, Nanavati says there is evidence to show that on October 31, 1984, the day Mrs Gandhi was killed, “either meetings were held or the persons who could organise attacks were contacted and were given instructions to kill Sikhs and loot their houses and shops.” Who issued these instructions because the order to kill is a serious criminal offence? Nanavati also says that attacks were made “without much fear of the police, almost suggesting that they were assured that they would not be harmed while committing those acts and even thereafter.” These were categorical assurances. No ordinary person could give them. They must have come from a person or persons of high political standing or who had governmental clout.

On that command, hundreds of people went to the streets of Delhi with weapons and inflammable material like kerosene oil, petrol and white powder. According to the Nanavati report, “the male members of Sikh community were taken out of their houses. They were beaten first and then burnt alive in a systematic manner. In some cases tyres were put around their necks and then they were set on fire by pouring kerosene oil or petrol over them.” Slogans like khoon ka badle khoon se lenge were raised by the mob.

Jagdish Tytler, Sajjan Kumar and Dharam Dutt Shastri, named by Nanavati, could only be operators. At worst, they could have conveyed instructions. But who gave the instructions? Nanavati says that the plan was hatched on November 1, after the assassination of Mrs Gandhi. Who were the ones who did it? Where did they gather to hatch the plan? Lieutenant Governor P.G. Gavai and the Police Commissioner P.C. Tandon were clueless. They could not have conspired when they were sent home. Who were these shadowy figures, behind-the-scenes, confident that their instructions would be carried out?

I have had occasion to talk to Nanavati after the submission of the Report. He said that he was conscious of its “limitations”. To pick up the threads of a massacre of this kind, almost two decades after the event, is not easy. Many people had died in the meantime and the courts had given their verdicts on several cases. Still he had done his best. As he observed: “I have not tried to whitewash anything. The report has to be read in its entirety to know where the blame lay.”

Shaken by the instances of planned and deliberate rioting, Nanavati seemed to almost throw up his hands in despair. As he put it, “Anything can happen anywhere at any time in the country because politicians have no value system to follow and the police have no limits in behaviour or action.” His condemnation of politicians is, indeed, scathing.

Nanavati saw no difference between the way and the pattern in which the rioting, killing and looting were organised in Delhi and in Gujarat. “In the first, the Sikhs were the victims and in the second, the Muslims,” he said. In both instances, he found plenty of evidence to infer that some politicians instigated the whole thing and that the authorities, particularly the police, looked the other way when the crimes were committed.

I wish the Nanavati Commission had gone beyond the rioting. I had something else in mind when I raised the demand in the Rajya Sabha for a Commission. I had wanted something along the lines of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission appointed by the South African government to go over the period of apartheid. The Whites were asked to confess what they did and were promised that no action would be taken against them. Many came forward and told the truth. For example, one said that he tried to kill Nelson Mandela.

Had the government followed this model, some politicians and officials may have come forward to tell the truth. We still do not know who planned these riots, and why. The Sikhs are so close to Hindus and have blood ties with them. Even after several inquiry reports we are nowhere near the truth. The Commission’s terms of reference should have been different. No one expected any new evidence or anything clinching to emerge in terms of getting at the guilty.

It seems, Nanavati himself was also for a Truth and Reconciliation Commission. He said that he had tried to pursue the same path but did not succeed in his efforts. “I asked many witnesses and others who appeared before me to rise above politics. But it looks as if I did not succeed.” For example, the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee, he pointed out, was keen on finding the culprits and hanging them. It was not willing to condone their guilt, even if they were to come out with the truth.

Whatever the views of an organisation or individual, we have the right to know who planned “the organised killing” and how the government and the ruling party came to be linked with the planning and execution of mass murders. Who are the guilty?

The writer is president, Carnage Justice Committee, which had represented the ’84 riot victims before the Nanavati Commission

Comment

Press Release:

SIKH FEDERATION (UK)

PRESS RELEASE

Friday 12 August 2005

SIKHS DEMAND INTERNATIONAL ACTION TO DEAL WITH 21 YEARS OF INDIAN INJUSTICE AND SHAME

The Sikh Federation (UK) has to date been silent about the hot air following the release of the Nanavati Commission report earlier this week and the reaction of political opportunists in India. The contents of the report and the inevitable delay in the report being made public came as no surprise. The whitewash and clean chit it has provided for the Congress leadership simply reinforces our firmly held view that Sikhs will never get justice in India.

If India was a democratic country with respect for human rights and the right to life, the anti-Sikh pogroms would never have been allowed to take place. If the rule of law existed and prevailed Sikhs would have been protected and received some form of justice many years ago. Independent civil liberty groups identified and named the main perpetrators and instigators in reports produced within weeks of the massacres. However, successive governments, commissions and investigations have come and gone in the last 21 years with no action to provide justice to the tens of thousands of victims of the anti-Sikh pogroms. The little hope that victims had that Manmohan Singh's government may prosecute politicians and officials that have been implicated has been totally shattered in the last 72 hours.

In the last few days some of those implicated, such as, Jagdish Tytler has been forced to resign from the Cabinet and Sajjan Kumar has stepped down as Chairman of the Delhi Rural Development Board. Much is also being written about Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's public apology. However, Manmohan Singh has been Prime Minister for well over a year and yet it has taken the publication of the Nanavati Commission report and political opposition for him to realise the shame associated with the events of November 1984 and the need for him to apologise. The apology by Manmohan Singh has more to do with saving political face than a genuine desire to ensure all instigators are prosecuted. Resignations and apologies will soon be forgotten. The events of the last few days have done nothing, but fuel the complete alienation of Sikhs within India.

On the 20th anniversary of the anti-Sikh pogroms British Sikhs launched a report in the UK Parliament titled: "Twenty years on - A call for action". The report recommended the following measures be taken by the international community:

A UN investigation should be set up to investigate the persistent failure of successive Indian Governments to ensure the prosecution of those alleged to be responsible for to the killings and destruction. That UN initiative should require the Indian authorities to:

- Take action against those responsible including proportionate criminal sanctions

- Ensure that the victims (or their families) are adequately compensated and provided for

Appropriate sanctions (trade and diplomatic) should be applied, both by the UN and by individual states, in case of default by the Indian authorities in relation to these UN requirements.

All Governments should ensure that those reportedly responsible for these gross human rights violations are denied entry to their respective States until such time they have been subjected to the due processes of investigation and criminal proceedings. Failure to do this will encourage a sense of impunity for the perpetrators. If any such persons are found to have entered the territory of any State, consideration should be given to prosecuting those persons under applicable local and international law.

Threats of violence and intimidation against those championing the rights of the victims and their families and seeking prosecution of the guilty should be roundly condemned. The international community must require India to secure the safety of human rights defenders so that justice can be done.

These recommendations are even more relevant today as Sikhs who are peacefully protesting in India about the lack of action following the Nanavati Commission report are being manhandled and injured in Delhi with the use of water cannon by police. This is the same police that stood by 21 years ago as Government supported gangs and mobs burned thousands of Sikh’s alive, Sikh homes were destroyed, Sikh women were raped, and Gurdwara Sahibs and sacred scriptures of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji were burned. All this went on not just under the watchful eyes, but with the full blessing of some of the highest seats in Indian authority.

For over two decades high-ranking members of the Congress party have continued to enjoy political impunity for this violence. For every day, and every year which passes without convictions, injustice is still being served to the broken, shattered homes of Sikhs. This is strengthening the resolve of Sikhs across the world to lobby the international community to not only take action against India and the culprits, but to campaign for the establishment of an independent sovereign Sikh State.

Gurjeet Singh
                    National Press Secretary
                    Sikh Federation (UK)

Comment

Originally posted by Lord General
                      The best, best solution would be to arrest Kumar, and the other goons and bring them to Delhi, then Punjab tied up, and have all the residents beat and beat them publickly. Anyone who thinks thats brutal, tell that to the victims of 84'. Once these jerks go unconcious, wait for them to wake up, and do it again. But do not let them die. At the end, bring them to the heart of Amritsar, and hang them one by one. That is when, and ONLY when, Sikhs will move on from 84'. It can be done. These cowards have the blood of thousands on their hands.

I just want to mention a story from Pakistan, maybe we can learn from this. A friend of mine's dad brought home a indian newspaper in hindi/punjabi and on the main page there was a guys picture who was tied up getting the crap beat out of him. The situation was this: some old pyschopath killed around 13 or more children, CHILDREN, and was caught, so the authorities brought him to the villages which faced the trauma of losing children,a nd tied him up and let the public go at him. They beat and beat and beat him, but did not let him die. Once the beating was done, they hung him publickly. This did not end the pain of the villagers, but it did soothe them.

Also, I do not think Kumar, and the other dick faces can even survive a 10 second beating from angry sikhs, let alone a few minuits.
                      How idiotic of u. Do u think we are still living in medieval times?
                      Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
                        What those criminals did wasn't very civilized either. Though Lord General's idea of punishing them sounds very appealing to me , I agree it is wrong.We shouldn't stoop to their level.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u

I hope Hammer's reply to you changes your "thinking". You're right, we're not living in medieval times, but what do you make of those riots? In western countries, when there are riots, people get injured, and maybe one death. Why is it that this was a one sided riot? And over 4000 people from the one side died, the side that didn't even know a riot was going to take place. Think about it for a second. And you have the guts to talk about medieval times? Maybe you're stuck in medieval times. Look at countries like Gayana/Trinidad, all countries in Africa (no point in mentioning them one by one), and etc,. they are still living in medieval times. They have no proper government with a proper economic structure. In Africa, people are still running around naked, and in gayana/trinidad's case, they are dancing around naked. Other countries are into the next millenium, but what do you make of Africa'ssituation? And you have the smarts to say this is not medieval times?

Hammer, we shouldn't stoop to their level, HELL NO. That is why we will not go out and kill 4000+ of their party members/supporters. But the bad guys must be punished. The point of my post before was, if India wanted Sikhs to actually move on from 84', I think that will be the solution. Whenever someone will bring up 84', atleast a victim can say proudly, "oh yeah? Don't you remember what the government of India did for justice? They tied up these bastards and let everyone beat and beat them, once they went un-concious, we let them wake up and did it again, at the end we hung them like the dogs they are". Other than that, it will only bring depression whenever 84' is brought up. No Justice Served.

Comment

Look at this.. These guys even have their security beefed up:

Security beefed up for Tytler, Sajjan

New Delhi, August 13
                            The government has stepped security to Congress leader Jagdish Tytler, MP Sajjan Kumar and several other party leaders and some police officers against whom adverse reference has been made in the report of the Nanavati Commission.

The Delhi Police and state police forces have been asked by the Union Home Ministry to provide full security to Mr Tytler, Mr Kumar and local Congress leaders H. K. L. Bhagat and Dharam Dass Shastri, then Lt Governor P. G. Gavai, then Police Commissioner S. C. Tandon and Justice G. T. Nanavati himself, Home Secretary V. K. Duggal said here today.

Comment

Of course

Originally posted by Asim Aquil View Post
                              This was common knowledge.
                              Yes, it was. That's how things work over there.

Comment

Working...
                              X