Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les élections françaises

Excerpt

At the heart of Guilluy’s inquiry is globalization. Internationalizing the division of labor has brought significant economic efficiencies. But it has also brought inequalities unseen for a century, demographic upheaval, and cultural disruption. Now we face the question of what—if anything—we should do about it.
    A process that Guilluy calls métropolisation has cut French society in two. In 16 dynamic urban areas (Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Aix-en-Provence, Toulouse, Lille, Bordeaux, Nice, Nantes, Strasbourg, Grenoble, Rennes, Rouen, Toulon, Douai-Lens, and Montpellier), the world’s resources have proved a profitable complement to those found in France. These urban areas are home to all the country’s educational and financial institutions, as well as almost all its corporations and the many well-paying jobs that go with them. Here, too, are the individuals—the entrepreneurs and engineers and CEOs, the fashion designers and models, the film directors and chefs and other “symbolic analysts,” as Robert Reich once called them—who shape the country’s tastes, form its opinions, and renew its prestige. Cheap labor, tariff-free consumer goods, and new markets of billions of people have made globalization a windfall for such prosperous places. But globalization has had no such galvanizing effect on the rest of France. Cities that were lively for hundreds of years—Tarbes, Agen, Albi, Béziers—are now, to use Guilluy’s word, “desertified,” haunted by the empty storefronts and blighted downtowns that Rust Belt Americans know well.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Can't wait to see Le Pen go down in the 2nd round and all the rotten front national ideas with her.

Comment

I hope she wins and marries Farage . End the corruption for good .

Comment

Can't wait to see Le Pen win. I'll be opening another bottle of champagne just like with Brexit and Trump victory.

Praying to god she wins and we see a rise of nationalism all over the rest of europe.

All countries of the world would do well to follow Hungary's model.

Comment

Might want to push this together with the other thread?

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteDreams View Post
            Can't wait to see Le Pen win. I'll be opening another bottle of champagne just like with Brexit and Trump victory.

Praying to god she wins and we see a rise of nationalism all over the rest of europe.

All countries of the world would do well to follow Hungary's model.
            Yep, nothing like getting on the band wagon to sell democracy down the drain. We will get to see Europe go back to just after the Stock Market crash of 1929 for Part Deux. Part Eins we already saw.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
              Yep, nothing like getting on the band wagon to sell democracy down the drain.
              If all countries in the world followed Orban's model Musk could settle Mars with 200 million people emigrating within five years.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                If all countries in the world followed Orban's model Musk could settle Mars with 200 million people emigrating within five years.
                Why is it a bad idea? Oh, them 200mn will die. And pay for it
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I find it very odd that having had democracy hand in hand with nationalism for over a century, the two are now viewed as mutually exclusive. While I have my own opinions on this, is the US no longer a democracy now that a nationalist leader has been elected?

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                    While I have my own opinions on this, is the US no longer a democracy now that a nationalist leader has been elected?
                    Well, after Trump... http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/25/us-is...eiu-warns.html
                    and under Obama... http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

So, no, it's not no longer a democracy since Trump. Can't be since it hasn't been one for quite a while.

Comment

En marche avec Macron.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                        I find it very odd that having had democracy hand in hand with nationalism for over a century, the two are now viewed as mutually exclusive. While I have my own opinions on this, is the US no longer a democracy now that a nationalist leader has been elected?
                        Mis-read me. Once elected, which ever country it is, democracy has not yet been sold down the river. It takes time. Time for the one who took power to consolidate their power. Time for those who would defend it to get complacent as the person newly in power seems like an Ok person to start with. Who knew, in his early days, that Hitler would become the monster he became? Years later people woke up and wondered what the hell happened.

Turkey has just taken it's turn down this road. Give Erdogan some more time and the process will be complete after starting it after the supposed coup earlier. He will crush the Rebel Force. Pardon me I got Star Wars mixed in by accident. Lets just repeat the old saying of absolute power absolutely corrupts especially when the people hand it to you.

So who is Marine Le Pen? Does anyone really know what makes her tick. Does she have dreams of a Second French Empire? We certainly know she hates a lot of things. I'm also not convinced that she cares one bit about the French middle class beyond the votes they can cast for her. Granted France made a fair amount of mistakes but one should not over compensate going the other direction by killing the infection and the patient at the same time. Yet populism is a very heady drug that can lull the populace like oxycontin addicts the patient before they know it has.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                          En marche avec Macron.
                          You know, there's a German proverb of "marching with your head raised". La France, Insoumise.

P.S.: It's kinda funny how the LA Times compares Melenchon to Bernie and tries to portray his campaign to run on a "shoe-string budget". Hint: Those holograms alone cost 30-40 grand per show and location.
                          Last edited by kato; 22 Apr 17,, 17:29.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                            Well, after Trump... http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/25/us-is...eiu-warns.html
                            and under Obama... http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

So, no, it's not no longer a democracy since Trump. Can't be since it hasn't been one for quite a while.
                            So, Economist is in a disagreement with BBC?
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              Mis-read me. Once elected, which ever country it is, democracy has not yet been sold down the river. It takes time. Time for the one who took power to consolidate their power. Time for those who would defend it to get complacent as the person newly in power seems like an Ok person to start with. Who knew, in his early days, that Hitler would become the monster he became? Years later people woke up and wondered what the hell happened.

Turkey has just taken it's turn down this road. Give Erdogan some more time and the process will be complete after starting it after the supposed coup earlier. He will crush the Rebel Force. Pardon me I got Star Wars mixed in by accident. Lets just repeat the old saying of absolute power absolutely corrupts especially when the people hand it to you.

So who is Marine Le Pen? Does anyone really know what makes her tick. Does she have dreams of a Second French Empire? We certainly know she hates a lot of things. I'm also not convinced that she cares one bit about the French middle class beyond the votes they can cast for her. Granted France made a fair amount of mistakes but one should not over compensate going the other direction by killing the infection and the patient at the same time. Yet populism is a very heady drug that can lull the populace like oxycontin addicts the patient before they know it has.
                              Like^.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X