French Presidential Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    That was a definite strategic blunder on Hitler's part. About a year prior to the Pearl Harbor attacks Roosevelt became convinced that Hitler had hostile intent towards the US and began bending US industry towards rapidly arming the military. Thus the US already had a running start when Hitler decided to declare war.
    It was already rapidly growing due to British arms purchases. We're not stupid, we knew that without America we didn't have the necessary arms production....Which is why you were already increasing your industrial capability to produce arms.

Apparently Hitler didn't believe the US could actually project meaningful fighting power across the Atlantic. It's interesting to think that had he not declared war, the US might not have intervened in Europe at all, focusing solely on subjugating Japan instead
    Hitler was a f-ckin idiot!!....But hey ..how did he get into power....Namely the Wall street crash!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post

Hitler was a f-ckin idiot!!....But hey ..how did he get into power....Namely the Wall street crash!

Yep, jobs for everyone and Make Germany Great Again. Wait! Deja vu! Maybe ocular migraine?

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Yep, jobs for everyone and Make Germany Great Again. Wait! Deja vu! Maybe ocular migraine?
        I was under impression US economy was soaring and there were very few unemployed. How did he gain the working class?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          I was under impression US economy was soaring and there were very few unemployed. How did he gain the working class?
          It is one of lifes great imponderables. I too was under the impression that everything was peaches and cream apart from a tiny minority of deplorables.
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            It is one of lifes great imponderables. I too was under the impression that everything was peaches and cream apart from a tiny minority of deplorables.
            No, not everything is peaches and cream. Huey Long offered no real solutions, and neither does Trump.

Unfortunately on both sides of the coin, both parties - the individual that gets the nomination has the attitude - "I have all the answers, give me ALL the power and everything will be made right." That people buy into it, it's beyond me.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              No, not everything is peaches and cream. Huey Long offered no real solutions, and neither does Trump.

Unfortunately on both sides of the coin, both parties - the individual that gets the nomination has the attitude - "I have all the answers, give me ALL the power and everything will be made right." That people buy into it, it's beyond me.
              On this we are in total agreement. I despise ideologies.

Leibniz

Comment

Six people, including three security agents, have been injured during protests in central Paris against the result of the first round of the French presidential elections, police say. Around 29 people remained in police custody following the demonstrations in which leftist activists came out to voice their opposition to independent centrist candidate Emmanuel Macron and far-right National Front leader Marine Le Pen, both of which are set to battle it out for the Elysee Palace on May 7.

http://newsyourselves.com/six-injure...aris-protests/

Comment

... uh, and that's newsworthy how? (especially since it's from April 24th)

Just for scale of "three security agents injured" - this was two days ago in Paris:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1314382519.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1470849

And this:

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1470850

And, for the election context, this:

Name:	Clipboard022.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1470851

Interestingly, the originally left-wing extremist (anarchist) slogan "ni patrie, ni patron, ni le pen, ni macron" (neither fatherland nor employer, neither le pen nor macron) has been gaining surprising traction even among the more mainstream youth.

Comment

Le Pen and Macron will take part in a televised 2.5-hour debate this evening btw, with an expected 20 million viewers. Conceptually it'll be in the European format, not the American one - i.e. two candidates, two moderators, about 50-60 questions both have to answer while lashing out at each other.

Will be on this livestream beginning about 9 pm Paris time:

Current surveys have polled that 85% of French have already decided who to vote for, so the impact of the debate won't be that major.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      By promising to make America great again, blame the Mexicans for actually wanting to work and do the dirty jobs nobody else wants to do...er blame Germans for making better cars than their US counterparts, er call everything that doesn't tally with his world view Fake News ...Care to add a few??

Comment

Debate is live right now btw.

Comment

They're grilling Macron pretty hard on his time as minister of economy.

Showing his colours right now by promoting reduced labour and union rights and arguing against state ownership of companies. Le Pen meanwhile argues for economic Darwinism if i get that right.

Moderators seem kind of overwhelmed btw, not getting a word in.
                          Last edited by kato; 03 May 17,, 20:26.

Comment

I hope Macron can find a better informed Foreign Minister than he seems to be himself. Apparently he said that Jarosław Kaczyński, the leader of the Governing Polish Party PiS, was an "ally" of this Le Pen Lady... Considering her ties to Moscow and PiS's (and Kaczyński's personal) antipathy for Moscow (who they believe was behind the Smolensk air crash that killed Kaczyński's twin brother - then President of Poland) I find this somewhat uninformed.

Comment

Best quote thus far "the country deserves a better debate, don't play with me, don't play with me." Then he raised meeting workers to which she replied "they booed you". Heh.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                                Apparently he said that Jarosław Kaczyński, the leader of the Governing Polish Party PiS, was an "ally" of this Le Pen Lady...
                                It does have some background. Some Polish media "interpreted" a speech by Le Pen in march as offering an "alliance" to both Kaczynski and Orban. Mostly an alliance to destroy the EU. A PiS spokeswoman then rejected this. It does stand - from the French perspective - as Le Pen wanting to work with Kaczynski though.
                                http://www.rp.pl/Polityka/170319565-...szu-z-PiS.html
                                http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/29...99-spokeswoman

Comment

Working...
                                X