No announcement yet.

French Presidential Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Manchurian Candidate is a good read!

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
      Yet a guy who marries a woman 23 years his junior
      Ha! I beat him by 2 years...

Comment

• Macron was definitely the better pick of the two but he's very Tony Blair.
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
          i fail to see how that has anything to do with sanity.
          I notice that.
          Those who know don't speak
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• From a quick look through the end result Mme Le Pen did not manage a majority in any of France's regions.
            Her highest results on a regional level were Corsica at 48.5% followed by New Caledonia at 47.4%.

Comment

• Macron was definitely the better pick of the two but he's very Tony Blair.
              better Tony Blair than Corbyn. or Adam Walker.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Anyone but b,liar the dirty murdering c##t .

Comment

• i dunno, UK in the late 90s wasn't exactly a hellhole.

i'll take blair...or May...over Commie Corbyn anyday.
                  Last edited by astralis; 08 May 17,, 18:23.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

i dunno, UK in the late 90s wasn't exactly a hellhole.

i'll take blair...or May...over Commie Corbyn anyday.
                    The UK in the late 90's was still benefitting from Tory policies and spending commitments....took at least 1 term of Labour for their spending priorities to get into full swing. But Brown did manage to sell half the British gold reserves while the market was at a 20 year low....Actually announced the sale giving the market chance to drop even further..F--ckin turd! Browns bottom they called it ..lol

Comment

• The French have just voted in a president that has no party..... in terms of bums on seats in the French parliament he hasn't got anybody! Hows that going to work?..Smells of desperation to me. The French clearly don't trust their own leaders/Politicians, why else would they elect a nobody with no party?????? Like I said, they are kicking the can down the road...

I can't understand why this is not a vote similar to the one in America...Strong similarities with the vote for Trump. its called desperation!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
                        in terms of bums on seats in the French parliament he hasn't got anybody!
                        France is voting for a new parliament in five weeks.

Current polls for that election with FPTP in districts result in around 250-280 seats for (Macron's) EM/MD, 200-210 for (Fillon's) UDI/LR, around 30-40 for (Hamon's) PS/EELV, around 20 for (Le Pen's) FN and under 10 for (Melenchon's) FG.

Comment

• toby,

took at least 1 term of Labour for their spending priorities to get into full swing. But Brown did manage to sell half the British gold reserves while the market was at a 20 year low
                          not the reason why New Labour died though. New Labour died because of Blair's commitment to the Iraq War. i agree that Blair was politically opportunistic/flexible/etc but ironically it was Blair actually standing up for something that slaughtered him, lol.

smells of desperation to me. The French clearly don't trust their own leaders/Politicians, why else would they elect a nobody with no party??????
                          of course it's an act of desperation, although with the French system Macron will likely get plenty of seats for his own party soon enough.

Strong similarities with the vote for Trump.
                          actually, i would say it is closer to 2008 vote for Obama than the vote for Trump. both Macron and Obama offered a fresh face to put on what is essentially a neoliberal/centrist platform.

Le Pen was right about one thing, this was a vote for 'continuity'. but what the bland word 'continuity' hides is a very real sense that this cannot be a static continuity any more, it -must- be active to fix the very real issues that face France/Western world. i think Macron understands that if nothing is done, then the next election may very well result in a landslide for Le Pen.

if there is one upside to the populist revolt engulfing the West, it is that it has jarred a very complacent establishment into realizing that if they wish to keep their values they need to fight for it, not assume it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
                            The French have just voted in a president that has no party..... in terms of bums on seats in the French parliament he hasn't got anybody! Hows that going to work?..Smells of desperation to me. The French clearly don't trust their own leaders/Politicians, why else would they elect a nobody with no party?????? Like I said, they are kicking the can down the road...

I can't understand why this is not a vote similar to the one in America...Strong similarities with the vote for Trump. its called desperation!
                            Hey, at least give the man a chance to show up. I was watching the France 24 just before the results were announced and everyone in the studio was unanimous (and there were people from different professions, age, gender, background...) that LePen basically screwed her chances on the duel. French President has a lot of political power within their system, but for the everyday tasks he will need to cooperate with both parties. How is that a bad thing? I think he has a better starting position than LePen in that regard. At least he wont be filibustered by the majority or whatever the French are doing to slow down, opose, repel presidential wishes.
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Absolutely. An intelligent conman is way preferable to an unintelligent idealogue
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                                Hey, at least give the man a chance to show up. I was watching the France 24 just before the results were announced and everyone in the studio was unanimous (and there were people from different professions, age, gender, background...) that LePen basically screwed her chances on the duel. French President has a lot of political power within their system, but for the everyday tasks he will need to cooperate with both parties. How is that a bad thing? I think he has a better starting position than LePen in that regard. At least he wont be filibustered by the majority or whatever the French are doing to slow down, opose, repel presidential wishes.
                                I'm not a Le Pen fan, But Le Pen didn't stand a chance with the Smiling golden boy as an opponent, this guy is so well rehearsed. But he's an establishment puppet, they'll see through him before his 4 years are up...and in true French fashion they find some new miracle cure for their domestic demise....

P.s Did I forget to say his mum (Wife) writes his speech's

Comment

Working...
                                X