Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janet Daley nails it in the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...s-wrecker-mps/

'When I talk to them – the real people – this is what I hear. They are furious, enraged, exasperated beyond endurance. What they see is a clique of unconscionably arrogant, preening, supercilious wreckers who are dedicated to reversing not only the result of the referendum but their own promise to uphold that result which parliament itself passed into law.

For what it’s worth, in my own personal encounters, I have met Remainers who are fed up with the uncertainty and do not want it prolonged, and I have not come across a single real person who believes that the systematic effort to prevent “no deal” is anything more than an attempt to block Brexit itself.

Actual voters seem not to be particularly alarmed (as some Tory MPs are) by Mr Johnson’s visible anger or even his apparent loss of self-control – because it mirrors their own. It is easy to forget what so much political observation should have taught us. One of the greatest assets that a political leader can possess is authenticity.

A display of genuine frustration – especially if it seems justified and in tune with the popular mood – can be admirable. It is certainly preferable to smug condescension (Remain Tories) or glib obfuscation (Labour and its Opposition conspirators).'

Comment

• Amber Rudd the Minister at the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) yesterday resigned from the Government and the Parliamentary Conservative Party. Her resignation letter;

"It is with great sadness that I am resigning as Secretary of State for Work and Pensions and Minister for Women and Equalities.

It has been an honour to serve in a department that supports millions of people and can be such a force for good. I would like to pay tribute to the thousands of people who work for the DWP across the country. They are committed public servants and I am proud of the work that we have done together over the last 10 months to create a more compassionate welfare system.

I would also like to thank you and the Chancellor of the Exchequer for your support in the recent Spending Review. I am so pleased that you committed to spend millions more supporting the most vulnerable in society, and I hope that the Government will stay committed to going further at the next fiscal event, building on the work the department has done.

This has been a difficult decision. I joined your Cabinet in good faith; accepting that 'no deal' had to be on the table, because it was the means by which we would have the best chance of achieving a new deal to leave on October 31.

However, I no longer believe leaving with a deal is the Government's main objective.

The Government is expending a lot of energy to prepare for 'no deal' but I have not seen the same level of intensity go into our talks with the European Union, who have asked us to present alternative arrangements to the Irish backstop.

The updates I have been grateful to receive from your office have not, regretfully, provided me with the reassurances I sought.

I must also address the assault on decency and democracy that took place last week when you sacked 21 talented, loyal One Nation Conservatives.

This short-sighted culling of my colleagues has stripped the party of broad-minded and dedicated Conservative MPs I cannot support this act of political vandalism.

Therefore, it is with regret that I am also surrendering the Conservative whip.

Britain's body politic is under attack from both sides of the ideological debate. I will now play whatever role I can to help return it to a better place.

I have been lucky to have had extraordinary support from my Conservative Association since I was adopted as their candidate in 2006. Three times they helped elect me as their MP, keeping Labour at bay through nail-biting campaigns.

I remain a proud conservative and will continue to champion the values of fairness and compassion, and to support my constituents of Hastings and Rye.

Yours Sincerely,

Amber Rudd"

Comment

• Tories plan to contest John Bercow's seat in breach of convention

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...leadsom-brexit

Andrea Leadsom says Speaker ‘failed’ by allowing move by MPs to block no-deal Brexit

The Conservatives will field a candidate against the Commons Speaker, John Bercow, at the next general election, Andrea Leadsom has said.

The business secretary revealed the move, a breach of longstanding convention, as she stepped up her feud with Bercow, accusing him of breaking the rules of parliament by allowing MPs to take control of Commons business.

In a stinging attack, Leadsom said Bercow had failed in his role and had permitted a “flagrant abuse” of parliamentary process. She said the Conservative party would field a candidate in Bercow’s constituency of Buckingham at the next election as a result.

The Speaker of the Commons is an MP and stands in general elections but is usually unopposed by the major political parties.

“Give us back an impartial Speaker,” Leadsom said. Her comments come days after MPs backed a motion to take control of the Commons timetable to pass legislation to block a no-deal Brexit.

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, Leadsom said the Speaker’s role was to be “a politically impartial, independent umpire of proceedings” who was in place “to protect the constitution and oversee the behaviour of the house”.

“But last week, the current Speaker failed us,” she wrote.

Leadsom said by allowing MPs to use standing order No 24 – a procedure used to trigger emergency debates – as a means of taking over parliament’s timetable, Bercow had not “just bent the rules, he has broken them”.

She added: “What we saw on Tuesday was a flagrant abuse of this process. The standing order No 24 that the opposition proposed wasn’t appropriate for a motion. It was intended to ram through legislation for purely political motives.”

She said using the standing order in such a way would lead to the creation of “bad laws” and showed “complete disregard to the will of the people”.

Leadsom, who served as leader of the Commons for almost two years, has clashed with Bercow in the past. In May last year the Speaker was alleged to have labelled her a “stupid woman”. In March, Bercow reprimanded Leadsom for using her mobile phone during Commons business, while Leadsom later accused the Speaker of failing to show MPs “courtesy and respect”.

Comment

• Bercow of course was a Conservative MP before being 'dragged' to the Speakers Chair (the newly Speaker is presumed to be reluctant to take his/her position as Charles l had one killed). If there is a tie in a Commons vote, say for confidence in the Government, the Speaker by tradition must cast his vote in favour of the sitting Government.

Comment

• Oh NO! What will we do now without ODAAA : (

Even the hair was very PM like : (

I STRONGLY BELIEVE THE UK NEEDS TO HOLD A REFERENDUM ON THIS!
            Last edited by Double Edge; 10 Sep 19,, 05:17.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              Oh NO! What will we do now without ODAAA : (

Even the hair was very PM like : (

I STRONGLY BELIEVE THE UK NEEDS TO HOLD A REFERENDUM ON THIS!
              KEEEE-RIST!

For the love of God, No More referenda!!!!
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

• The British Government has lost a court case at the Court of Session; the highest Court in Scotland that has ruled unanimously (three judges) that the proroguation of Parliament was illegal. A similar case, involving the former Tory PM Sir John Major in England was won by the Government in the fist instance - both cases will be appealed of course and end in the Supreme Court.

One of the reasons why the Government may have lost the case in Scotland is because they apparently argued than any Prime Minister can prorogue Parliament anytime and for as long he/she chooses. If this were correct Parliament would sit only when the PM chose - or not at all. That is clearly wrong if you consider that the duty of the elected assembly is to provide a balance and check on the actions of the Executive. It cannot very well perform those duties if it's even sitting is dependent on the whim of the PM. Really if they push this mad line of argument they are trying to severely limit the function and sovereignty of Parliament - which is essentially why the Civil War started.

Comment

• If nothing else its a great display by the establishment of how determined they are to stop Brexit

Interesting that the Scottish ruling does not apply in England
                  Last edited by Freyr; 12 Sep 19,, 08:47.

Comment

• So Dominic, that 'man of the people' apparently told some reporters to "go away and harass the rich remainers" instead of him.

Strange coming from a man who lives in a £1.6m house in Islington, went to Oxford, co owns a farm which accepted £235,000 in EU farming subsidies, who is married to the Granddaughter of the 1st Baronet Wakefield who's parents in law live in this shabby abode;

Click image for larger version

Name:	EDZkPh7WkAEXxQ6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1478442

So the latest farce is this tragi comedy involved the 'yellowhammer' impact analysis, part of which was leaked in some Sunday paper a few weeks ago. On Monday evening, before the House was prorogued, MPs voted the all the details should be released. Of course the Government was not keen on this idea which apparently gave rise to this conversation with Andrea Leadsom, a junior Government Minister;

That Leadsom interview in full:
                    I: "Why won't you release the #Yellowhammer report?"
                    AL: "Because then the public wouldn't want Brexit."
                    I: "And why is Brexit going ahead?"
                    AL: "The public wants it"
                    I: "And why won't you release the report?"
                    AL: "Then they wouldn't want it"
                    So sometime yesterday afternoon/evening they did release it; pfd is here; https://assets.publishing.service.go...ptions_CDL.pdf

A few of the minor 'benefits' to be gained from a no deal deal Brexit include;

a "decrease" in certain types of fresh food and "shorter supply" of key ingredients

price rises for food and fuel, which would "disproportionately" affect those with low incomes

"disruption lasting up to six months" potentially affecting medicines and medical supplies

protests and counter-protests across the UK

lorries waiting for more than two days to cross the English Channel

The document also says some businesses could cease trading, the black market could grow, and some adult social care providers might fail.

Just to sum up what the Brexiteers are now insisting is true;

That despite them all insisting that 'no deal' was not a possibility because a deal would be the 'easiest ever' all those who voted for Brexit actually KNEW and UNDERSTOOD they were voting for a 'no deal Brexit'. Oh yes they did and if you do not believe this you are a commie!

That despite all the Brexiteers insisting that one of the goals of Brexit was to restore the sovereignty of Parliament that only applies when no deal Brexiteers have a majority so it is entirely constitutionally correct for a Prime Minister elected by 90,000 Tory Party members to dismiss any Parliamentary oversight in the name of the people to uphold the sovereignty of Parliament.

That one of the goals was to be free of 'unelected bureaucrats in Brussels' however unelected officials in No 10 who have been held in contempt of Parliament and who fire elected MPs from their Parties are just fine as they agree with 'the people'.

One last thing; the Scottish ruling does to apply to England since the Parliament that was suspended is sovereign in all parts of the Union.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                      So Dominic, that 'man of the people' apparently told some reporters to "go away and harass the rich remainers" instead of him.

Strange coming from a man who lives in a £1.6m house in Islington, went to Oxford, co owns a farm which accepted £235,000 in EU farming subsidies, who is married to the Granddaughter of the 1st Baronet Wakefield who's parents in law live in this shabby abode;

[ATTACH]48060[/ATTACH]

So the latest farce is this tragi comedy involved the 'yellowhammer' impact analysis, part of which was leaked in some Sunday paper a few weeks ago. On Monday evening, before the House was prorogued, MPs voted the all the details should be released. Of course the Government was not keen on this idea which apparently gave rise to this conversation with Andrea Leadsom, a junior Government Minister;

So sometime yesterday afternoon/evening they did release it; pfd is here; https://assets.publishing.service.go...ptions_CDL.pdf

A few of the minor 'benefits' to be gained from a no deal deal Brexit include;

a "decrease" in certain types of fresh food and "shorter supply" of key ingredients

price rises for food and fuel, which would "disproportionately" affect those with low incomes

"disruption lasting up to six months" potentially affecting medicines and medical supplies

protests and counter-protests across the UK

lorries waiting for more than two days to cross the English Channel

The document also says some businesses could cease trading, the black market could grow, and some adult social care providers might fail.

Just to sum up what the Brexiteers are now insisting is true;

That despite them all insisting that 'no deal' was not a possibility because a deal would be the 'easiest ever' all those who voted for Brexit actually KNEW and UNDERSTOOD they were voting for a 'no deal Brexit'. Oh yes they did and if you do not believe this you are a commie!

That despite all the Brexiteers insisting that one of the goals of Brexit was to restore the sovereignty of Parliament that only applies when no deal Brexiteers have a majority so it is entirely constitutionally correct for a Prime Minister elected by 90,000 Tory Party members to dismiss any Parliamentary oversight in the name of the people to uphold the sovereignty of Parliament.

That one of the goals was to be free of 'unelected bureaucrats in Brussels' however unelected officials in No 10 who have been held in contempt of Parliament and who fire elected MPs from their Parties are just fine as they agree with 'the people'.

One last thing; the Scottish ruling does to apply to England since the Parliament that was suspended is sovereign in all parts of the Union.

Yawn. Yeah whatever Snaps.

Comment

• Really mate? That what voted for? To lose jobs, to be less well off? Suppose you have a medical problem? Will the drugs be there? Should Kent be made into a lorry park? You voted for Brexit so can't get fresh vegetables? You voted for the sovereignty of Parliament so that a PM elected by 90,000 people could stop Parliament having any say at his whim?

You got lied to and were conned. Have the decency to admit it.

Comment

• Oh FFS Snaps, snap out of it! The sky will not fall down and the NHS will not fall apart if and hopefully when PMBJ finally gets the UK out of this mess.

It is, after all, what most Brits want. We even had a referendum and all that.

Comment

• Look, nothing to worry about

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow hammer.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	1478443

Just a defenseless bird minding its own business

Comment

• The real problem is not respecting the vote of the 2016 referendum is a violation of the constitution's rules and understandings. pro-Remain MPs are the ones who are undermining the fundamental principles of Britain's constitution!

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyr View Post
                                The real problem is not respecting the vote of the 2016 referendum is a violation of the constitution's rules and understandings. pro-Remain MPs are the ones who are undermining the fundamental principles of Britain's constitution!

Shame they can't be taken out and shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X