The battle of Brexit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    I hope he pulls through. Really do not want to deal with a Labour govt.

I do wonder if there is any fatigue with Tories. Been in charge since 2010 (!)
    Nobody is completely wrong or right, The UK has lived under an Austerity budget for a while now and I can see the reigns coming off spending under the Tories in a Johnson Gov. But it would primarily be investment and not emotional spending. Any idiot can throw money around and achieve nothing. Under Corbyn I can see the logic on the one hand of encouraging local council budgets sourcing supplies from the local economy, which directly injects money locally but I don't see the Government running anything (nationalising) as good, they should stick to politics. That said I often wonder what is competitive about a water company running everybodies supply when there is only one company supplying it. Also the fact is that the Gov already own the railways etc. They are franchised out and seem to be a major cash cow for foreign government owned railways such as Deutsche Bahn...some logic there somewhere? When you analyse who owns what and how competitive they truly are you really do wonder. But a Corbyn Gov as an alternative would deter foreign investment and internalise the markets too far, not good either and probably the worst scenario.

Comment

• Boris Johnson's Government has lost it's majority as one Tory MP defected to the LibDems. A bill to take over Parliamentary business is expected this evening which if it is passed would allow a Bill to be put forward tomorrow forbidding the Government from leaving the EU with no deal.

Apparently yesterday Johnson threatened an October 14th election if such a law were passed. However this requires a 2/3rds majority in the Commons which the Government's opponents seem unlikely to agree it as the PM could then decide to delay the election until after the 31st October to achieve his no deal Brexit. He did after all say he would not prorogue Parliament but then did, he said he would not push for an election but now threatens it so why trust him on the date of an election? There is clearly no confidence in this PM or Government but still more hurdles for the combined Opposition to get over before they stop this insanity.

P.S This is the proposed Bill the Opposition wish to pass; https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...650621953.html
      Last edited by snapper; 03 Sep 19,, 17:46.

Comment

• ^He calls it Jeremy Corbyn's surrender bill. Longer version here

He's channeling Churchill as expected.

They took away his majority so they could pass this bill, if it does he will call a snap election on Oct 14 and seek a new mandate.

This will be the binding Brexit vote.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 03 Sep 19,, 20:27.

Comment

• The Opposition wins the vote 328 to 301 so the Bill binding the Government not to accept no deal will be introduced tomorrow.

Comment

^He calls it Jeremy Corbyn's surrender bill. Longer version here

They took away his majority so they could pass this bill, if it does he will call a snap election on Oct 14 and seek a new mandate.

This will be the binding Brexit vote.
            No if he wants an election he must pass it through the House of the Commons with 2/3rds in favour of an election. As he no longer has a majority the other Parties, should they wish, can block a General Election. As it is they have said the blocking no deal legislation must be passed before they will even consider a motion for an election and as they now have control of the business of the House it is really upto them. They could if they wished pass a vote of no confidence and form a temporary new Government to get a Brexit extension (as proposed in the Bill) and then have an election after October 31st.

In the first test Boris Johnson's Government has failed and the House could well turn him out of his temporary lodgings.
            Last edited by snapper; 03 Sep 19,, 22:28.

Comment

• Everything is goin to plan for wee Boris. Any which way you look at it. There will be a general election!. How could there not be.....I'm going down the bookies first thing!!!

Think I'll put a bit on Corbyn being made into a tent shortly afterwards
              Last edited by Freyr; 03 Sep 19,, 22:44.

Comment

As a matter of interest Nicholas Soames, the grandson of Winston Churchill, voted against the Government. Presumably he will now have the whip removed and be de-selected?

Comment

• Churchill is long gone, More like he's channeling the largest democratic vote in British history, with a 1 million majority.

Richard Burgon just made a total Tit of himself , saying he would negotiate with the EU to remain if Labour won the next Gen Elec...and then didn't know what to do after it was pointed out to him that the Uk hadn't left yet and what was he negotiating for...RAOFLAO
                  Last edited by Freyr; 03 Sep 19,, 23:29.

Comment

• It has now been confirmed that those Conservative MPs who voted against the Government will have the whip removed - 21 MPs in all a thus effectively thrown out of the Parliamentary Conservative Party. This would now put a Labour/LibDem and SNP Government in power with a majority of 5.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Bang1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	1478431

Comment

• This guy is the GOD of mods. All mods learn from this guy

Comment

This guy is the GOD of mods. All mods learn from this guy

Although I love his sense of theatre. He hasn't exactly done a great deal to allay fears that he is a stooge for REMAIN. Because that's exactly how he appears!

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyr View Post
                            Although I love his sense of theatre. He hasn't exactly done a great deal to allay fears that he is a stooge for REMAIN. Because that's exactly how he appears!
                            Pretty sure the other side says the same about him as well. When things don't go their way.

That's how you know he's on the level.

Comment

Pretty sure the other side says the same about him as well. When things don't go their way.

That's how you know he's on the level.
                              To use one of his words.... How has he 'Facilitated' leave?

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyr View Post
                                To use one of his words.... How has he 'Facilitated' leave?
                                I will allow those opposed to answer that

Comment

Working...
                                X