X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, bit scary to be honest.

Comment

• Catalonian referendum

European Union in crisis as it fails to condemn violent clashes while '90% of voters back independence'

and the EU do no nothing??? ......AGAIN! Not good enough!

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post
        Ok, yeah, it was a snotty reply, I apologise
        Not accepted!

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
          Because the English gave up.
          'Gave up' to the idea of an Ireland that should govern itself. I'm proud of my Cork relatives.... I have family on both sides.... IRA and B&T!....I only wish the British government had been less aggressive in its approach...Things could have been worked out so differently in favour of both sides

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
            Catalonian referendum

European Union in crisis as it fails to condemn violent clashes while '90% of voters back independence'

and the EU do no nothing??? ......AGAIN! Not good enough!

So now you want the EU to meddle in the internal affairs of a member state? If they did you'd be calling them fascists.
            They are damned if they do and damned if they don't with you people.. they can't win.

What do you want them to do? send in the EU army? Oh that's right there isn't one.

Comment

• Yet another lie from planet quitter

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...es-say-farmers

Comment

• I think it is now fairly obvious that the Autumn knives are out for Theresa May with the Boris being knife in chief, one minute contradicting the PM and the next pledging total loyalty. Shameful and unacceptable behaviour in normal Tory times, though sadly there is some tradition of it since Heseltine's knife in the back. I read that Boris is now calling himself the "Godfather of Brexit"... I have nothing against this twerp personally but it has been pretty damn clear for some time that all he wanted was to be PM and his views and words appear to change at will to suit any situation or circumstance that brings him closer to his real ambition. If I were a Brexiteer I would not trust him to be consistent if ever got into No10. As I am but a former UK Civil Servant I take the view that power for sake of it is wrong and his ambition egotistical rather than beneficial to the UK. He has by all accounts been nothing short of a disaster at the FCO according to some of my former colleague; apparently he had to be told not to cite Kipling's Mandalay in Burma, pays little to no attention to his red boxes and does not understand the intelligence implications. Of course the feeling within the FCO is mostly pro EU still, not because of the 'jollies' and perks but because it increases British influence in the world and to indirectly quote my former colleague they feel BoJo has and is implicating the Office in his view which are nothing to do with the real strategic implications of Brexit but everything to do with his immediate political ambitions. This is not a man who will put Britain ahead of his personal ambitions. Theresa should sack him for hosting the Hannan do - which he was told was contrary to FCO rules - the Cabinet Secretary (Head of the Civil Service) Sir JH (the tradition is Cabinet Secretaries only sign with their initials - thus there was 'GoD'; Gus O'Donell) wanted to veto the do I am told but the PM over - ruled him.

It now appears that the real challenge to the BoJo ego will be the current Chancellor Phil Hammond, former Foreign Secretary and current Chancellor of the Exchequer who has been far more conciliatory and frankly sensible in my view regarding Brexit. Another PPE grad from University College Oxford... Hammond has also set out his own view on Brexit which is less idealistically populist but rather more pragmatic than BoJo's. If and when Theresa goes - and I did predict she would go in the autumn - Hammond, though he is by means been a exceptional anything going back to his MoD days and is certainly not innovative in any way in the Chancellorship, will attack the Labour Party for it's unrealistic spending plans.

The question for the Conservative seems to be is Brexit more important than winning the next election and preventing the damage a Corbyn led Government would do? Or do you argue the basic economic management - balance the budget and start getting the debt down while being pragmatic with Brexit? Another immediate consideration for any new leader and PM will be when to hold the next election? I believe if Theresa May had gone early after her election as Party leader she would have won better than she did when she did go. Same ways true for Gordon Brown when he became PM. The next leader of the Conservative Party, if and when Theresa goes, should go to the electorate soon - after the Spring budget perhaps.

I predict a Hammond win, Justine Greening in No 11, Rory Stewart at King Charles St in some capacity (FCO) Osbourne back in the longer term.

Comment

• Shattered can't talk

Comment

• I think the Tory party are in deep trouble. They have sunk to the third largest party in terms of members (the Lib dems have more members than them now!) and the average age of their members is 72! Just look at the empty arenas at the Manchester conference. Conservative home reports that local candidates have to reply on their families to canvass as people just aren't coming out for them. People under 40 won't vote for them.

It's not hard to see why. The decision to quit the EU is being forced on a generation that doesn't want it. They are already embittered rightly or wrongly by the housing crisis and the generous pensions the old have voted for themselves. Admittedly, its not just the Tories that are responsible for this, but they have no answers. No wonder the young are flocking to Corbyn.

Ruth Davidson is one beam of hope for the Tories, but there doesn't appear to be any sign of her leaving Hollyrood to become an MP.
                    Last edited by zara; 04 Oct 17,, 10:12.

Comment

So now you want the EU to meddle in the internal affairs of a member state? If they did you'd be calling them fascists.
                      They are damned if they do and damned if they don't with you people.. they can't win.

What do you want them to do? send in the EU army? Oh that's right there isn't one.
                      I didn't say meddle. A simple statement condemning Police violence against innocent Catalans would be adequate. But they haven't even done that, because they care more about the trough they've got their snouts firmly welded to.

Yet another lie from planet quitter
                      I guess you'll be quitting Spain soon. Seeing as their country is about to implode.....Where next I wonder??? God help them!!

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post

I predict a Hammond win, Justine Greening in No 11, Rory Stewart at King Charles St in some capacity (FCO) Osbourne back in the longer term.
                        Hammond? ...He'd make a great undertaker! Rory Stewart has more intelligence than most..I'd go with him any day....Justine's quite cute I'd have her in number 11, hell anywhere would be good.

Comment

I think the Tory party are in deep trouble. They have sunk to the third largest party in terms of members (the Lib dems have more members than them now!) and the average age of their members is 72!
                          A lot of the clubs are empty too....Lack of ideas, Lack of enthusiasm....just generally lacking and yes they all in their 60's and 70's

Just look at the empty arenas at the Manchester conference
                          Manchester central isn't an Arena

People under 40 won't vote for them.
                          and yet they still won the election

It's not hard to see why. The decision to quit the EU is being forced on a generation that doesn't want it. They are already embittered rightly or wrongly by the housing crisis and the generous pensions the old have voted for themselves. Admittedly, its not just the Tories that are responsible for this, but they have no answers. No wonder the young are flocking to Corbyn.
                          There you go again banging on about quitters...its all you ever do or talk about... Germany next?

Comment

A lot of the clubs are empty too....Lack of ideas, Lack of enthusiasm....just generally lacking and yes they all in their 60's and 70's

Manchester central isn't an Arena

and yet they still won the election

There you go again banging on about quitters...its all you ever do or talk about... Germany next?
                            It is when it's not a conference centre. I've been to loads of gigs there.

umm quitting is the subject of this thread. I talk about other subjects on other forums.

Comment

It is when it's not a conference centre. I've been to loads of gigs there.
                              Its a railway station actually, but if you want to call it an arena you go ahead luv. You'll be callin Salford docks a Quays next..Whatever!

umm quitting is the subject of this thread.
                              and thats what interested you???

I talk about other subjects on other forums.
                              What like non quitting subjects?...you're not in a sowing circle are ya?

Comment

Its a railway station actually, but if you want to call it an arena you go ahead luv. You'll be callin Salford docks a Quays next..Whatever!

and thats what interested you???

What like non quitting subjects?...you're not in a sowing circle are ya?
                                Its the G-mex you spanner! The tram stop is behind it. Dont you live in Manchester?
                                Last edited by zara; 05 Oct 17,, 10:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X