No announcement yet.

2016 Turkish Coup Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the answer, its clearer now.

This is a what if scenario but after the exclution (if such thing happens) what would you think about a Turkey being sided with the Russians? Not that i like this option but Erdoğan can do anything...

Btw İ read a paper saying that it was coupist pilots who shot down the Russian plane in order to create a crisis and bla bla...

They found an other scapegoat for nearly everthing that went bad i suppose :)

Mihais,

West should support secular Kemalists instead of these "moderate islamists"

Secondly its hard to be reliable when your allies supports directly or indirectly the a terror organisation which kills your people constantly.

GVChamps,

İ didnt get what you want to say about those Russian tanks?
    Last edited by Big K; 19 Jul 16,, 06:52.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

• Kerim,the thing is I don't know why the West isn't supporting kemalists.But at the same time,none of the western support for islamists of all sorts makes sense,yet it's a given.
      Second,I'd say that up to a point during the coup,the signals from the US were symphatetic to the rebels.If I were to guess,the Americans were ambivalent enough to be interpreted as supportive,when they were approached before the coup.Until Obama and Kerry pulled the plug.But that was also after the putchists failed to eliminate Erdogan from the picture.The Russians were more firm in their suport for the sultan.They will get some benefits,no doubt of it.

Third,as the colonel said,you're of no use now.You making peace with the Russians is,frankly,what we have to consider.You have much to offer them and they have much to give you,so if the sultan is wishing to recreate the empire in the form of a sphere of influence,he has a lot to talk with the Russians.
      Fourth,as long as the Greek islands are held by NATO,there is not much for a Russian fleet to do.But if the situation was reversed,NATO will be in a bit of trouble.Anyway,without you the ME is a bit of a problem.

This is a moot point.Kerry was just being idiot.No NATO country was ejected from the alliance for having an authoritarian regime.It is you who can bug out,but I doubt that will happen ,at least not formally.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Originally posted by Big K View Post
        GVChamps,

İ didnt get what you want to say about those Russian tanks?
        I guess I'm saying is:

frankly none of them are of vital concern to the US.
        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• What is a vital concern to you?
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Kerim, Mihais,

Why would anyone support Kemalists?

Didn't they have enough time to sort the country in a tip top shape?

Isn't a democracy a system where majority rules? The bar is set high for the ruler to change the Constitution, so if someone can reach 2/3 or 3/4 of the votes, what you gonna do, disrespect it? How is that a democracy?

How is pulling tanks on the streets to topple an elected Government a good thing?
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Might not be legit,but is expedient.

Comment

• Don't talk about legit, but how can putting army on streets against own people be good

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• The people sometimes need a kick in the butt to think straight.

Here's the thing.AKP supporters enjoy more freedom since 2003.They also enjoy more prosperity.Good for them.Is this for the greater good of the country?We will see.They are winning anyway,so the discussion,so far , is moot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                    What is a vital concern to you?
                    At this point? Non proliferation, Western unity and primacy, and preventing any new Warsaw Pact equivelants? If in 50 years the West maintains a military amd economic edge, we do not have thousands more nukes, and China isn't leading some massive coalition, then my generation did its job.
                    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by Big K
                      What i try to put is that i wish US get rid of gulen (he is an evil not better than erdo) and start supporting the Kemalists in whatever way it can be done.
                      The US is certainly more comfortable with the ideas of secular modernism that Kemalists represent than Islamism, but it is particularly difficult for any government to come out in open support of a military coup even if they'd prefer it to succeed, because they certainly don't want to encourage such behavior at home.

Unfortunately with the failed coup attempt, it looks like the Kemalists have shot their wad. Even after Erdogan finishes purging the competition, the US will likely work with him, since Turkey is more important to the US as a stable and reliable partner than as a country with an agreeable ideology.

Comment

• Now 15 000 people in the education sector have been suspended. Where were all these people during the coup then?
                        "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

• Details about the air ops and aerial battle over Turkey during the military coup to depose Erdogan

https://theaviationist.com/2016/07/1...ilitary-coup/?

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                            Details about the air ops and aerial battle over Turkey during the military coup to depose Erdogan

https://theaviationist.com/2016/07/1...ilitary-coup/?
                            Staged, eh?

Comment

• Concerning the ongoing lack of power or water to Incirlik Air Base from the FB Page:

No, we are still without power here. The real reason they won't turn it back on is because we are harboring fellow Turk Airmen on the base and the government wants them arrested for the coup and due to politics we are not making them leave our US base to surrender to the Gendarmerie waiting outside the base. So the stalemate continues for us here unfortunately.
                              I can see why the Americans wouldn't be in a hurry to turn over the guys they've worked and eaten with.

I'd think Incirlik would have no shortage of JP-8 to run generators. With the airspace open again, supplies can be flown in regardless of access to municipal utilities. This could go on for quite a while.
                              Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 19 Jul 16,, 19:02.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                                Staged, eh?
                                Of all the theories floating out there, the one I consider to be the most likely is that the coup was discovered by the Turkish government before the plotters were ready. As a result it went off half cocked at an odd hour.

As a result, they didn't have enough support lined up, they didn't take the government by surprise, and they didn't capture Erdogan.

Comment

Working...
                                X