• Officer of Engineers
    replied
    Saw this.

"Of course my vote is more important than yours. I used mine."

Leave a comment:

• citanon
    replied
    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    The fucking unbelievable arrogance of this piece.
    And coming from the same group of people who brought us the financial crisis and the exchange rate cheating scandal.

Leave a comment:

• Chunder
    replied
    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post

They bet on the wrong horse and now trying to cut their losses. And they're blaming the horse that won instead of criticizing the horse that lost. The money was in the bank, so no one turned up to vote. The REMAIN crowd lost the election because they were lazy.
    I give you $100. I tell you to throw it up in the air on a windy day. You say "No"!

I give you a Pension plan worth Several Million, or your Job, worth your Mortgage. You stay at home on vote day saying "It's ok, 52% says's we'll win"!.

What the actual fuck?! Bond markets and Forex. LOL. Remember being taught that was volatile stuff when I was what... 13 or 14?! Apparently it passes muster for mainstream reading these days. Oh heck. look on the bright side if you honestly believe that, you should be happy. Means it will slow global warming.

Leave a comment:

• Officer of Engineers
    replied

Originally posted by DOR View Post
    “The world’s bond markets (and, even more, its foreign-exchange markets) tell you everything you need to know…
    They bet on the wrong horse and now trying to cut their losses. And they're blaming the horse that won instead of criticizing the horse that lost. The money was in the bank, so no one turned up to vote. The REMAIN crowd lost the election because they were lazy. Why the fuck is no one blaming them? Fuck, the REMAIN crowd is the "give me" fucks. Give it to me so I don't have to work. Give me the referendum so I don't have to vote. What fucking arrogance.

…Recession in the UK, quite possibly recession in Europe, and extremely nasty spillover effects in the rest of the world, including the U.S.
    Even if right, it's a recession, not economic collapse.

The small-minded burghers of rural England have managed to destroy trillions of dollars of value globally, including to their own investments, pension plans, and housing values.
    We've been through worst and we still managed to give this bunch of ungrateful fucks their future.

And things will get worse before they get worse: it’s going to take a while for all the subsequent shoes to drop. Make no mistake, the forces set in motion by this vote will not end here. France and Spain will want their own referendums; so will Scotland. Northern Ireland… will request and probably receive a referendum on whether it should just rejoin the Republic of Ireland, and Europe.
    What do you know? The Brits convinced other people to practice their democratic rights instead of following blindly the fucking dictates of the EU.

Britain has been in many ways the most unambiguous winner of the European project: it received all the advantages of free trade with an enormous economic bloc, while also having a floating currency instead of one which was pegged mercilessly to how things were going in Germany….
    So everything was hunky dory? What about Germany forcing an economic downturn on the rest of the world by unifying with East Germany?

This vote is also the grimmest of reminders of the power still held by the older generation, not only in the UK but around the world. Young Britons—the multicultural generation which grew up in and of Europe, the people who have only ever known European passports—voted overwhelmingly to remain. They’re the generation that just lost its future. Meanwhile, Britons over the age of 65, fed a diet of lies by a sensationalist UK press, voted by a large margin to leave. Most of them did so out of a misplaced belief that doing so might reduce immigration, or make them better off, or save them from meddling bureaucrats. In a couple of decades, most of those voters will be dead. But the consequences of their actions will resonate far beyond the grave….
    A future without answering to Moscow and 60,000+ less nuclear weapons. The internet, originally a military system, direct TV (result of military satellite communications).

YOU'RE WELCOME.

The forces of narrow-minded nationalism have tasted a major victory; they will want more, much more. The economic malaise that has beset all of Europe for the past decade will work in their favor, as will the growing inequality that can be seen in almost every country worldwide.
    So much fucking arrogance. Things are bad but you're small for wanting things better.

International institutions like the European Union, born of an idealistic belief in peace and prosperity, have become avatars of unaccountable power, and are much loathed by the suffering European middle classes. The result is that we are now entering a world in retreat from progress, a world of atavistic nationalisms and mutual distrust, a world in which we demonize foreigners and prefer walls to bridges. In November, the U.S. will have its own plebiscite, and will likely vote along similar lines to Britain. The cities, and the young, will vote for progress, inclusion, and unity. Meanwhile, the white, rural areas and the old will vote for a sepia-tinged dream of a past in which equality was something only straight white men really qualified for. Before the Brexit vote, I didn’t believe it could happen here. But Britain is significantly more cosmopolitan than America, and we managed to shoot ourselves (and all of Europe) straight through the heart.

So, be afraid.
    Wow. The EU created their own mess, dis-enfranchised the sufferring middle class and now are blaming people for saying enough is enough.

Such unbelievable and undeserved arrogance.

Leave a comment:

• Double Edge
    replied
    Originally posted by tankie View Post
    Yup , its done , i voted out , its all my fault and my generation huh ,, i remember the who,s record , when i was younger ,,t t t talkin bout my generation , they are older now n still around , im agreed , over n done with , except it isnt is it ?? , sec 50 has to be invoked lisbon treaty , it hasnt been as yet ?? we r still in the eu for at least another 2 years while figuring out the divorce , or the loophole for remain , this aint over yet ,

GOOGLE THIS BELOW

and now kahn in London is being asked for londonistan to be a separate state to stay in the EU , FFS you cant make this shit up , THE UK DOES NOT START N END AT THE M1 . the vote was OUT , suck it up

London is an international city, and we want to remain at the heart of Europe.
    Let's face it - the rest of the country disagrees. So rather than passive aggressively vote against each other at every election, let's make the divorce official and move in with our friends on the continent.
    This petition is calling on Mayor Sadiq Khan to declare London independent, and apply to join the EU - including membership of the Schengen Zone (Umm, we'll talk about the Euro...).
    Mayor Sadiq, wouldn't you prefer to be President Sadiq? Make it happen!
    Yeah, it is curious this age thing. So the reason is you gave it as long as you've been old and if it hasn't delivered by yet it never will.

Would your counterparts in Ireland or Scotland agree. Probably not. They have a different equation. I don't think they are quitting the UK any time soon btw. That Union flag is remaining as it is. That seat in the UNSC is secure.

All this second referendum and separation is just letting out excess steam in the system. When people are hammered with doom & gloom if THIS happens then they believe it.

Two years is tight. The Canadians took 7 years to work out a deal with the EU. maybe they're just slower moving. The EU is a secondary concern when the US is just next door.

Look you're still part of the common market just not beholden to Brussels any longer. That's what you wanted. No article 50 until alternative deals are worked out. until then stll part of the EU. No deal found no Article 50. Drag it on for a few years and then what.

Leave a comment:

• kato
    replied
    Mmm. The first world war as a "fight against tyranny"? The Somme - like the rest of the bone mill - being anything but their own government wasting them? And on that note, the last survivor of the Somme died in 2005 at age 108.

Other than that, if we're pulling the "brave men fighting" stick?

My grandfather fought against France in 1940. His grandfather fought against France in 1870. His grandfather fought against France around 1814. Beyond that it gets a bit murky, as his grandfather was probably part of the troops fighting against Prussia in 1757 as an intermittence. His grandfather would have fought against France around 1702 though. And before someone asks, the intermittent generation fought on the Baltic Sea (navy), in the '48 revolution (logistics, i think), the coalition wars (provisions) and of course against France (fortress artillery).

I was grocery shopping in France last week. Without crossing any visible border or checkpoint, paying in the same currency i use at home and the only real difference being that my cell phone reminds me with an automated text message that I'd have to pay 0.0135 cents per minute for incoming calls while there. And in my opinion what the above nine generations did in France and elsewhere has absolutely no bearing on that.
    Although, thinking about it, on the same trip I did see a Marianne painting that came across as a bit too patriotic. Splashed over the cab of a truck with Romanian license plates pulling a semi-trailer with Hungarian license plates, a driver who had his rather Iberic name up in the cab window, transporting a pair of US Army MRAPs, on a highway rest stop in Germany, shouting out the window at another driver to move his truck in English. Can't really get more European Union.

Leave a comment:

• troung
    replied
    Felix Salmon
    A goof with trendy glasses, oh my who would have thought?

. The small-minded burghers of rural England have managed to destroy trillions of dollars of value globally, including to their own investments, pension plans, and housing values
    Angry little bugger isn't he?

France and Spain will want their own referendums
    And so what?

In a couple of decades, most of those voters will be dead. But the consequences of their actions will resonate far beyond the grave….
    In a couple more others will also be dead, so fucking what? Anyone who uses that argument is an idiot.

"Agism" is pretty low on the SJW hierarchy of oppressed things?

International institutions like the European Union, born of an idealistic belief in peace and prosperity, have become avatars of unaccountable power, and are much loathed by the sufferin
    Peace brought to them by NATO, which includes big spending America.

Young Britons—the multicultural generation which grew up in and of Europe, the people who have only ever known European passports—voted overwhelmingly to remain.
    Those who could be bothered to put down the bong or cared enough to show up. For all anyone knows the number could have gotten a lot closer had people actually shown up, unlike their parents.

e result is that we are now entering a world in retreat from progress, a world of atavistic nationalisms and mutual distrust, a world in which we demonize foreigners and prefer walls to bridges. In November, the U.S. will have its own plebiscite, and will likely vote along similar lines to Britain.
    Foreigners = illegal immigrants who refuse to obey the law.

===
    The outraged idealists show they lost touch with reality and show no signs of reentering the real world.

More proof that democracy is evil when the great unwashed don't vote "for their interests" determined by the elite.
    Last edited by troung; 26 Jun 16,, 16:36.

Leave a comment:

• Officer of Engineers
    replied
    by Felix Salmon

So, be afraid.
    Pfftt! The world survived and prospered after Arab-Israeli Wars, the Oil Embargo, Vietnam, Tienamen, I am Charlie, 11 Sept, 7-7 and little BREXIT is going to crash the world? Try again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X