Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its gonna get worse before it gets better but at least some tories still have a fight in them for democracy , and theres calls the senior judge in the supreme court to quit after his wife tweeted for remaining ,, no con,flict of interest there then .

The Telegraph
    HOME NEWS SPORT BUSINESS

ALL SECTIONS
    News
    UK World Politics Science Entertainment Pictures Investigations Brexit
    Telegraph News
    Heavyweight Brexiteers among 60 Tory MPs to demand clean break from the EU
    The Union flag is seen flapping in the wind in front of one of the faces of the Great Clock atop the landmark Elizabeth Tower that houses Big Ben at the Houses of Parliament
    Leading Tory Eurosceptics have demanded Britain pull out of the single market CREDIT: AFP PHOTO / JUSTIN TALLISJUSTIN TALLIS/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
    Ben Riley-Smith Harry Yorke
    19 NOVEMBER 2016 • 12:26PM
    Sixty Tory MPs including seven ex-Cabinet ministers have demanded Theresa May pulls Britain out of the single market and customs union amid fears her Brexit stance could be watered down.

Michael Gove, Iain Duncan Smith, John Whittingdale and Theresa Villiers are among the leading Eurosceptics to put their names to the negotiation demand.

The politicians have gone public through The Telegraph amid concerns that pro-EU figures in the Cabinet are fighting to soften the Government’s Brexit position.

The Eurosceptics said only the cleanest Brexit can fulfil the country’s referendum call to “untie ourselves from EU shackles and freely embrace the rest of the world”.

However, critics warned leaving the single market and customs union would establish barriers to trade that were not voted for in the referendum.

PM: Brexit plans are 'on track'Play! 00:30
    The decision to go public with the call coincides with the relaunch of the European Research Group, a pro-Brexit Tory body that will keep up pressure on the Government.

It will produce new thinking and policy ideas for Britain’s future after Brexit as well as being a constant reminder to ministers of the strength of Euroscepticism on the Tory backbenches.

It came as senior Tory MPs called on the Government to drop its appeal to the Supreme Court over whether it has the power to start Brexit talks without a vote from Parliament.

Ministers are seeking to overturn a High Court ruling that demanded Mrs May get approval from MPs and peers before triggering Article 50, the mechanism for starting Brexit negotiations.

However many inside the Government are expecting another defeat and there are concerns that the waiting time – a judgment is not due until January – is an unnecessary delay.

Owen Paterson, a former environment secretary who backed Brexit, joined calls to drop the appeal on Saturday.

Brexiteers react with fury to "outrageous" court decisionPlay! 01:43
    “I'm not a lawyer and I'm not an expert on this but ... I wouldn't have a bet on the Government winning this one,” Mr Patterson said, adding it is “not good to have a confrontation with the courts”.

In a separate development, Labour MPs are under pressure to be more supportive of Brexit after research revealed how many of their constituencies voted to leave the EU.

Some 137 Labour MPs saw their seats back Brexit in the referendum – more than half the party’s total – according to analysis by the Brexit Alliance think tank.

Leading figures campaigning to keep close trading links with the EU such as Ed Miliband, the former Labour leader, and Yvette Cooper, the former home secretary, saw their constituents overwhelmingly back Brexit.

There is a major Cabinet split over whether Britain should pull out of the EU single market, a tariff-free trade bloc, and customs union, which allows goods to cross borders without customs checks.

Boris Johnson, Liam Fox and David Davis – dubbed The Three Brexiteers – are said to be far more open to leaving both than Philip Hammond, the Chancellor.

Michael Gove, the former justice secretary
    Michael Gove, the former justice secretary CREDIT: ADAM GRAY / SWNS.COM
    Eurosceptics say staying in the single market means continuing to be bound by European Court of Justice judgments while remaining in the customs union all but stops the UK signing free trade deals.

Number 10 has repeatedly said no decision has been taken and the choice is not “binary”, suggesting it could seek to retain benefits of both agreements while opting out of overall membership.

In a bid to force the Government’s hand, 60 Tory MPs have backed the statement: "The UK must leave the European Economic Area [EEA] and the Customs Union."

Seven former Cabinet ministers backed the call including five who served under David Cameron – Mr Gove, Mr Duncan Smith, Mr Whittingdale, Ms Villiers and Mr Patterson – and two who served under John Major: Peter Lilley and John Redwood. Eleven Labour, DUP and Ukip MPs also backed the call.

John Whittingdale, the former culture secretary
    John Whittingdale, the former culture secretary CREDIT: NICK EDWARD
    Steve Baker, a Tory MP and chairman of the European Research Group, said: “A vote to remain in the EEA or the Customs Union is a vote to be powerless over trade and domestic regulation and therefore poorer than we otherwise can be.

“The UK is ideally positioned to catalyse a new global trading system which works for everyone by promoting free and fair trade and defending against predatory practices.”

In a piece for The Telegraph’s website, Suella Fernandes, the Tory MP for Fareham helping run the group, says pulling out of the customs union is the only way to fulfil the Brexit vote.

“When the British people voted to leave the European Union on 23 June, most of my Parliamentary colleagues and I took it as an instruction to untie ourselves from EU shackles and freely embrace the rest of the world. We now wish to ensure that the will of the people is fulfilled,” she writes.

Comment

• Supreme Court's most senior judge urged to stand down from Article 50 legal hearing over wife's anti-Brexit Twitter posts
      Lord Neuberger, president of the Supreme Court
      Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury, president of the Supreme Court CREDIT: SUPREME COURT
      Robert Mendick, chief reporter Laura Hughes, political correspondent
      18 NOVEMBER 2016 • 10:00PM
      The Supreme Court’s most senior judge has been urged to stand down from a crucial legal hearing on Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union after it emerged his wife had posted a series of anti-Brexit tweets.

Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury, the president of the Supreme Court, was accused by pro-Brexit Conservative MPs of being compromised by his wife’s views.

This case is about a point of law and Lady Neuberger’s views are nothing to do with it.
      Supreme Court source
      The Supreme Court’s code of conduct warns justices to be aware “that political activity” of a close relative could raise concerns over impartiality although a senior source said the judge was “absolutely confident” there had been no breach in this case.
      YEA RIGHT . B/S

The source added: “This case is about a point of law and Lady Neuberger’s views are nothing to do with it.

Lady Neuberger
      'Mad and bad': Lady Neuberger denounced the EU referendum
      The government has become embroiled in a row with the judiciary after High Court judges ruled that there should be a parliamentary voter before Article 50 is triggered.

Tory MPs, including Communities Secretary Sajid Javid, criticised the judges. Mr Javid said the ruling was an attempt to "block the will of the people".

Liz Truss, the Justice Secretary, then spoke out attacking the judges' critics after a statement by the Bar Council, which represents 15,000 barristers, urged her to condemn "serious and unjustified attacks on the judiciary".

In a series of tweets, Lady Neuberger, under her maiden name Angela Holdsworth, denounced the referendum as “mad and bad” and dismissed Ukip and Brexit as “just a protest vote”

Comment

• I swear, I read it "Lord Neuberger of Absurdity". Twice!
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          I swear, I read it "Lord Neuberger of Absurdity". Twice!
          Goran ,,your spot on matey , absurdity lol ,she should keep her f#####g nose out of it ,,she has an opinion like everyone does but she is in a position to to sway his judgement , she can withdraw all bedroom antics for a start , but after seeing her pic i wouldnt shag it with yella;s , the judge should do the right thing , resign from that gig , and give her a wide berth forra while . c,mon admin we need emoticons .

Comment

• Is it not possible for a married couple to have different political views or even vote differently?

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
              Is it not possible for a married couple to have different political views or even vote differently?
              Of course , but thats not the point here is it , she is allegedley trying to influence the senior judge in charge ,her hubby , by tweeting her views , she should know better Sarah , and so should he , she has called once again democracy into doubt , her arrogance of calling 17.5 million people , idiots and UKIP a non entity party , and poo pooing it as a protest vote ,,jeez shes good huh , of course it was a protest vote ffs , well lady absurdity (cheers Goran ) I have the same views ref the tory party which will i think be your party of choice , presumably ?

Personally tho Sarah / zara , I think we will never be free from the EU which will please the remainers , if the losing vote wins , stinks huh .And the backlash will finally wake up the arrogant tossers when it comes to their doorstep , and it will , many jobs in govt will be up for new troughers as the MPs who do et tu brute will find out next election .IMO
              Last edited by tankie; 20 Nov 16,, 15:18.

Comment

Is it not possible for a married couple to have different political views or even vote differently?
                Some even divorce. Heck, if I can't change your views, I can change you logic

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                  Of course , but thats not the point here is it , she is allegedley trying to influence the senior judge in charge ,her hubby , by tweeting her views , she should know better Sarah , and so should he , she has called once again democracy into doubt , her arrogance of calling 17.5 million people , idiots and UKIP a non entity party , and poo pooing it as a protest vote ,,jeez shes good huh , of course it was a protest vote ffs , well lady absurdity (cheers Goran ) I have the same views ref the tory party which will i think be your party of choice , presumably ?

Personally tho Sarah / zara , I think we will never be free from the EU which will please the remainers , if the losing vote wins , stinks huh .And the backlash will finally wake up the arrogant tossers when it comes to their doorstep , and it will , many jobs in govt will be up for new troughers as the MPs who do et tu brute will find out next election .IMO

So the Wife of a judge should not be allowed to publicly air her views?

Comment

So the Wife of a judge should not be allowed to publicly air her views?
                    She will be judged if she does :)

Comment

• Seemingly the judgement should apply to her husband as well though. Not sure that follows. We are all judged all the time - you will judge anything I write here, I am a blonde and sometimes thought 'stupid' for that - often useful in a scrape - etc etc but his Lordship's Wife has a right to freedom of speech as well as every other subject of HRM and it should be taken as read that her views do not necessarily reflect the Judges; they are different people. It is getting ridiculous to suggest that a married judge allows his Wife to influence his legal decisions.

As it is I glanced briefly at some article online the other day saying that the Government will use a different argument in the appeal. I didn't have time to read it all let alone try to understand it but something along the lines of Brexit not effecting the rights of people.

Comment

• I find it offensive you took the remark above seriously. It was a pun. With a smiley.

Of course people are judged all the time, but you blonde? I thought you are redhead. :sad:

Comment

Seemingly the judgement should apply to her husband as well though. Not sure that follows. We are all judged all the time - you will judge anything I write here, I am a blonde and sometimes thought 'stupid' for that - often useful in a scrape - etc etc but his Lordship's Wife has a right to freedom of speech as well as every other subject of HRM and it should be taken as read that her views do not necessarily reflect the Judges; they are different people. It is getting ridiculous to suggest that a married judge allows his Wife to influence his legal decisions.

As it is I glanced briefly at some article online the other day saying that the Government will use a different argument in the appeal. I didn't have time to read it all let alone try to understand it but something along the lines of Brexit not effecting the rights of people.
                          No its not ridiculous at all snapper , she should air her views after the fact , not before . And it seems people in power are agreeing .But there ya go , you dont , fine , so be it .
                          Last edited by tankie; 20 Nov 16,, 19:39.

Comment

• If his wife had tweeted Pro Brexit views should he resign?
                            Judges aren't vacuous machines without personal opinions, you should trust that a supreme court judge in the UK is good enough at their job to not let those views influence the application of the law.

The new strategy of the government is to claim that Article 50 is reversible, and therefore parliament could vote to revoke it. Thereby the royal prerogative is not stripping anyone of their rights.

It doesn't make much sense to me, but the law can be strange.

ps. Tankie my real name is 'Sarra' not 'Sarah' - There was already a username Sarra so I couldn't use it

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post
                              If his wife had tweeted Pro Brexit views should he resign?
                              Judges aren't vacuous machines without personal opinions, you should trust that a supreme court judge in the UK is good enough at their job to not let those views influence the application of the law.

The new strategy of the government is to claim that Article 50 is reversible, and therefore parliament could vote to revoke it. Thereby the royal prerogative is not stripping anyone of their rights.

It doesn't make much sense to me, but the law can be strange.

ps. Tankie my real name is 'Sarra' not 'Sarah' - There was already a username Sarra so I couldn't use it
                              Sarah is snapper , zara , lol , and yes to your Q ask this , why did she comment like this , something to hide maybe ,,,,,anyway its caused some mp,s to be a tad miffed lol.

In a series of tweets, Lady Neuberger, under her maiden name Angela Holdsworth,
                              Last edited by tankie; 21 Nov 16,, 17:29.

Comment

• I've thought Snapper is Sara.

So many princesses here, I feel privileged and Robin Hood-alike at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X