X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
    So, be afraid.
    Nope. I think the fear is amongst the ruling elites, not the proles
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Way to whine about the old people in such a way to get them to amble up to their collective high horses.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7102931.html
      Labour MP David Lammy has called on Parliament to "stop this madness" and to vote against the referendum decision to leave the EU.

In a statement on his Twitter feed, the MP for Tottenham and former Higher Education and Skills Minister said: "Wake up. We do not have to do this.

"We can stop this madness and bring this nightmare to an end through a vote in Parliament. Our sovereign Parliament needs to now vote on whether we should exit the EU.
      He doesn't believe in democracy either.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-foreign-mini/
      Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission should resign as a result of the Brexit vote, the Czech foreign minister said on Sunday, as splits emerged over the future direction of Europe among the EU's remaining 27 members.

The EU chief, who has repeatedly called for “more Europe” to fix the continent's mounting crises, was a “negative symbol” of the kind of federalism that British voters rejected, said Lubomír Zaorálek, the Czech foreign minister.

However, as the Czech Republic and other smaller members warned against “integration initiatives”, France and Germany were openly discussing plans for new EU security structures, now that Britain's objection to these steps has been removed.

The plans are likely to be seized on by anti-EU parties across the continent, with leaders from Austria’s far-Right Freedom Party yesterday warning that a centralisation agenda would inevitably lead to demands for more referendums.

In a move that threatens to reopen tensions between Rome and Berlin, Matteo Renzi, the Italian prime minister, pressed his demands for more budget flexibility to stimulate growth. “Austerity policies are clouding the horizon. They have turned the future into a threat. They have given fear a push,” Mr Renzi wrote in an Italian newspaper, arguing that Brexit had been born in part from a collapse in UK manufacturing.
      Last edited by troung; 26 Jun 16,, 20:07.
      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        Saw this.

"Of course my vote is more important than yours. I used mine."

Leibniz

Comment

• by the way, tempest in a WAB teapot aside...from my understanding, with Cameron gone, there's no one who is going to enact article 50.

and noises from Scotland/Ireland seems to be "if England presses with Brexit then we will go through independence referendums."

so then whatever Conservative grandee takes over from Cameron will effectively have a poisoned chalice-- they're dead politically if they make that trade, it seems to me.

-really- not sure what's going to happen here, but ironically it seems that this referendum didn't solve anything.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• A more immediate disadvantage of Brexit: No more videos of Nigel Farage laying into hapless eurocrats in the EU parliament.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
              -really- not sure what's going to happen here, but ironically it seems that this referendum didn't solve anything.
              Nobody knows 'for sure' what is going to happen but some people seem determined it will be all hell and damnation. It was foretold.

What are these kids so afraid of.

Nobody knows.

Not knowing is the cause of the fear.

FDR had a few words about that some time ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                by the way, tempest in a WAB teapot aside...from my understanding, with Cameron gone, there's no one who is going to enact article 50.

and noises from Scotland/Ireland seems to be "if England presses with Brexit then we will go through independence referendums."

so then whatever Conservative grandee takes over from Cameron will effectively have a poisoned chalice-- they're dead politically if they make that trade, it seems to me.

Drawing the battle lines publically. It is indeed a very British coup, I haven't seen this sort of clear choice since William of Orange. Glorious revolution or Catholic rule, pop the corn and settle into an armchair :-)

Leibniz

Comment

• What pisses me off about the REMAIN crybabies is that their message is "Why don't you die already?"
                  Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by troung View Post
                    Way to whine about the old people in such a way to get them to amble up to their collective high horses.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7102931.html

He doesn't believe in democracy either.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-foreign-mini/
                    Did I call it or did I call it? :P

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                      by Felix Salmon
                      Felix Lenin? Never heard of that guy.

By the way checked my pants and they aren't shaking.

Comment

• The plot is in place, the long knives are being sharpened, and the chances of Messieurs junkers et la making it to the next episode are not good:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZC11G

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatboy View Post
                          Just because the EU isn't perfect, doesn't mean cut and run is a good idea. EU reform is an excellent idea, one that's needed, and one which the UK could have helped mold from within.
                          There are, if any, on this forum who have been as critical of the EU as I over the years... from the whole misguided single currency idea to the Greek bailouts and the Cyprus legalised robbery of peoples savings it has been an appalling record of political and economic mismanagement. However I fully agree that you cannot sort out the mess or prevent further diasters of this sort when you are outside the club.

Originally posted by drhuy View Post
                          And these people love to call themselves "liberal" and "progressive".
                          I don't think I have ever been described like that. I am a Catholic conservative; largely 'pro life' and anti gay marriage, believe in reducing the debt, a strong military etc etc... and freedom from obtrusive Government intervention. The curvature of a bannana or a cucumber are not fitting things for legislators to pass inane rules about. The Colonel says it's 'his money' and of course his money is his own to spend as he sees fit but the problem is that UK is virtually broke... the older generations have left the younger with a deficit we shall paying for all our lives. Gambling with your own money is your right but you are gambling with in Britain the older generations have gambled on the younger generations future.

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          Can't follow you. You voted? Where?
                          Postal vote.

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          So, there will be referendum after referendum after referendum...
                          We call that "neverendum".

Originally posted by drhuy View Post
                          And dont even talk about North Ireland. I doubt even Ireland want it back.
                          Sinn Fein have already called for a vote on Irish union.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          UK does 44% of its trade with the EU that goes through just two countries Holland & Germany. So get an agreement with them and you're done.
                          How long will that take? Under Article 50 'negotiations' are supposed to take 2 yrs but the EU - Canada FTA took 7 years.

Boris Johnson seems likely to be the new PM, elected only by Tory MPs... so much for 'democracy'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	article-2182367-145395DD000005DC-773_306x429.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1468919

Half the Shadow Cabinet has resigned today after Corbyn fired the Shadow Foreign Secretary (Hillary Benn). Corbyn is regarded as having under performed in getting the Labour vote out in the referendum and there is now a 'Blairite rebellion' it is said; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36632956

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            How long will that take? Under Article 50 'negotiations' are supposed to take 2 yrs but the EU - Canada FTA took 7 years.
                            It's not with the EU its with two countries. That's your finance side.

The EU is a separate thing. It's not like you're Albania, a lot of your industry already conforms to EU standards. Go hammer out a deal. There is talk that you have to pay in to be able to trade there like Norway & Switzerland are doing. Let's see.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 26 Jun 16,, 23:05.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                              It's not with the EU its with two countries. That's your finance side.

The EU is a separate thing. It's not like you're Albania, a lot of your industry already conforms to EU standards. Go hammer out a deal. There is talk that you have to pay in to be able to trade there like Norway & Switzerland are doing. Let's see.

From my understanding of it - and I'm 99% sure I am right - it is the EU that negotiates any trade deals on it's members behalf; thus TTIP is negotiated not by individual countries but between the US and the EU.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post

Boris Johnson seems likely to be the new PM, elected only by Tory MPs... so much for 'democracy'.
                                Sigh. Under the British parliamentary system the people elect Members of Parliament, the Members of Parliament elect the Prime minister. Hence prime minister.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                                X