• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC just called it. Brexit won.
    The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
      Do I think? No I know! FTSE Futures down 7+%, GBP down 10+%... lowest level GBPUSD since 1985. DOW down 3%... that's $600bn gone. You may think it is just numbers but this is peoples money - some of it mine - that we use to invest to create jobs and growth.
      There’s a state of shock in the City this morning, as investors digest the news that Britain appears to have voted to leave the European Union.

Markets had rallied yesterday on expectations that the Remain side would win, so traders are now facing the prospect of a huge selloff this morning.
      unless you're a speculator, forex trader. Explain to me how its people's money?

There of course have always been financial turmoils after each such big event like this.

And if its all about the money, then the US would still be a part of the Kingdom now.

Comment

S,

Thought you are in leave camp.
        This initial drop was excepted, no?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I voted remain Dok.

It's not just the British markets that are taking a hit: #Nikkei -6.7% #Kospi -3.5% #Taiex -2.3% #Sensex -2.9% #HS -4.1% #SSE -1.2% #STI -2.4% #ASX -3% #CSI -1%, the DOW is likely to open 3% down - thats $600bn lost overnight...

Next Scotland will want another independence vote - Germany gets full control of the continent... it is an appalling miscalculation the consequence of which are only dark.

Comment

as if euro is doing any better. Obviously both UK and EU economies now are the same as they were 24 hours ago. Again, this is just investors (aka speculators) were wrong. (shocking!).

Comment

Not all that own shares are "speculators"; your pension and mine are invested in the markets and so is peoples savings (mine included). Yet the Brexit people said that predictions of this were untrue... Nor is it all about the economics - this is the end of the Britain as a united Kingdom quite likely and the geo strategic consequences are just horrendous. Germany is now freer to do a deal with Muscovy and that makes war and the break up of the EU as a whole more likely.

Comment

Not all that own shares are "speculators"; your pension and mine are invested in the markets and so is peoples savings (mine included). Yet the Brexit people said that predictions of this were untrue... Nor is it all about the economics - this is the end of the Britain as a united Kingdom quite likely and the geo strategic consequences are just horrendous. Germany is now freer to do a deal with Muscovy and that makes war and the break up of the EU as a whole more likely.
                you still failed to explain why a panic short-term fluctuation, that caused by speculators betting on the wrong horses, make ordinary people lose their money?

And reading the remain camp comments all over the internet make them really look like a bunch of childish losers.

Comment

When $3-4trillion is wiped off markets overnight it is NOT speculators who are losing - they have been shorting and probably made money of this. It is companies who's shares are owned by ordinary people and pension funds etc... That means companies are not worth so much and therefore cannot raise money should they wish to so easily. Tata Steel has already hinted it will pull out of the UK; 14,000 jobs at stake there alone. But this is the unimportant stuff - the immediate fall out of this mad miscalculation; the break up of the UK and the EU and the increased chances of Muscovite adventurism are far more dangerous.

Comment

Now wouldn't it be wiser to see how things settle out in a few weeks rather than a few hours? Right now the markets seem to be in panic mode, since markets like steady as she goes, and that is out the window right now. NYSE probably will drop tomorrow not that it bothers me as it has been overexuberant for years.
                    Last edited by tbm3fan; 24 Jun 16,, 06:54.

Comment

I voted remain Dok.

It's not just the British markets that are taking a hit: #Nikkei -6.7% #Kospi -3.5% #Taiex -2.3% #Sensex -2.9% #HS -4.1% #SSE -1.2% #STI -2.4% #ASX -3% #CSI -1%, the DOW is likely to open 3% down - thats $600bn lost overnight...

Next Scotland will want another independence vote - Germany gets full control of the continent... it is an appalling miscalculation the consequence of which are only dark.
                      Au contraire, the future is always bright.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Forgot to congratulate Eric.

Now get your country in tip top shape. It's not like you guys don't know how.

Comment

$400bn loss from the UK economy overnight... or 42yrs worth of payments for EU membership.

Comment

Shocked at what I just woke up to. We needed an alternative voice at the EU level to counterbalance the Germans, we just lost it.

We need an EU more together than on a road divided, it seems we turned down that one too.

This could be a problem in northern ireland which voted remain although I expect there won't be too much fallout.

General consensus is that this will be very damaging to the Republic of Ireland financially, so very disappointed and worried this may set back a full recovery from our severe recession by several years. We will have lots of unwelcome uncertainty as the Brits negotiate an exit that may take years.

Comment

When $3-4trillion is wiped off markets overnight it is NOT speculators who are losing - they have been shorting and probably made money of this. It is companies who's shares are owned by ordinary people and pension funds etc... That means companies are not worth so much and therefore cannot raise money should they wish to so easily. Tata Steel has already hinted it will pull out of the UK; 14,000 jobs at stake there alone. But this is the unimportant stuff - the immediate fall out of this mad miscalculation; the break up of the UK and the EU and the increased chances of Muscovite adventurism are far more dangerous.
                              funny coz we were still talking about Pound, not stocks, werent we? Or you can tell the difference between them?

Besides, the key word here is "panic short-term fluctuation".

And really what EU has anything to do with "Muscovite adventurism"? What capability does it have to deal with Putin?

Comment

$400bn loss from the UK economy overnight... or 42yrs worth of payments for EU membership.
                                Focus on how to return them, not on crying

Comment

Working...
                                X