This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kato View Post
    So we're basically proposing to make Britain a colony of the EU? Because the EU Overseas Countries and Territories are the closest analogue to that.

I think he is being mischevious here. He knows full well that the British government could never agree to this. Having a huge chunk of their citizens as citizens of a giant bloc (that Brexiteers despise)?
    No way. I think he's trying to make the British government look bad when they are forced to refuse it. Or to to deliberately question the assumption that the British Govt has absolute control over its citizens.

Which actually begs the question could the British Government stop it?

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post
      Doesn't matter. Your squalid little poll is nothing compared to the British constitution.
      And Leave doesn't mean no negotiation. Thats just imbecilic.
      Spoken like a true Russian!

Comment

Cause shes recieved many many death threats and abuse. She used her own money to do this and is suffering the wrath of the gutterpress. The British consititution trumps your referendum sorry.

But you shouldn't be worried, it's not going to stop Brexit.
        She'd received no abuse at all prior to bringing this case. The real and more interesting question is, why would a Brazilian hairdresser and Guyanese City broker question a democratically held referendum. They weren't even born in the UK, In any other country this would stink of a coup. The British constitution is unwritten and can say anything, including Article 50 is irrelevant.

Comment

You won with lies, simple as that.
          We won in spite of the lies. The lies we were told by Ted Heath and his cronies..Selling us a European trade agreement. When in fact it was the first step to a political union. I can only think your continued bitterness to the referendum (not poll) is financial. Which would suggest you benefit personally from this corrupt dictatorial Organisation namely the EU. It's really quite shameful. But at least you're getting a taste of what the EU has done to various industries in the UK..You see uncertainty is for most of us a way of life. Now you too get to experience the delights of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
            Spoken like a true Russian!
            What have you got against Russians?

Comment

She'd received no abuse at all prior to bringing this case. The real and more interesting question is, why would a Brazilian hairdresser and Guyanese City broker question a democratically held referendum. They weren't even born in the UK, In any other country this would stink of a coup. The British constitution is unwritten and can say anything, including Article 50 is irrelevant.
              She's a British Citizen, therefore as entitled as you are. The British Constitiution IS written, that's a common mistake. It's just written in many different places.

Comment

The British constitution is unwritten and can say anything, including Article 50 is irrelevant.
                It doesn't say anything about the tyranny of the majority... err, democracy either.

Comment

We won in spite of the lies. The lies we were told by Ted Heath and his cronies..Selling us a European trade agreement. When in fact it was the first step to a political union. I can only think your continued bitterness to the referendum (not poll) is financial. Which would suggest you benefit personally from this corrupt dictatorial Organisation namely the EU. It's really quite shameful. But at least you're getting a taste of what the EU has done to various industries in the UK..You see uncertainty is for most of us a way of life. Now you too get to experience the delights of it.
                  My biterness is due to the fact that many of my european friends are now leaving the county. The referendum has shattered my friendship group and will have very bad effects on my family living in Northern Ireland.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                    It doesn't say anything about the tyranny of the majority... err, democracy either.
                    Precisely. But what it does say is that prerogative powers cannot be used to strip a citizen of their rights. Imagine the precedent it would set if they ruled in the governments favour!

Comment

What have you got against Russians?
                      Nothing personally, But calling a democratic vote a squalid poll is very Un-British...makes me question your real identity

Comment

She's a British Citizen, therefore as entitled as you are.
                        Citizenship does not mean you're entitled. That's a common mistake made by people who haven't earned anything
                        The British Constitiution IS written, that's a common mistake. It's just written in many different places.
                        There is no document that I'm aware of that is entitled "The British constitution"Unlike most modern states, Britain does not have a codified constitution but an unwritten one formed of Acts of Parliament, court judgments and conventions.
                        Last edited by Toby; 11 Dec 16,, 19:12.

Comment

My biterness is due to the fact that many of my european friends are now leaving the county. The referendum has shattered my friendship group and will have very bad effects on my family living in Northern Ireland.
                          We haven't enacted anything yet, So they sound a bit hysterical if they're leaving already. I wouldn't worry though there's plenty of Romanians flocking in to keep you company. Just keep your hand on your purse.

Comment

• Good luck Toby . tara.

Comment

Nothing personally, But calling a democratic vote a squalid poll is very Un-British...makes me question your real identity
                              It's 'squalid' because it was immediately followed by a huge rise in hate crime. Polish people recieved notices describing them as vermin and told them to go home. A politician was murdered and the various leave campaigns played on fear of foreigners and migrants ('breaking point). My friends have been warned by their embassies not to speak their native languages on the streets for fear of abuse or attack.

What's not squalid about that?

Question my identity? Weird thing to say..

Comment

We haven't enacted anything yet, So they sound a bit hysterical if they're leaving already. I wouldn't worry though there's plenty of Romanians flocking in to keep you company. Just keep your hand on your purse.
                                Hysterical? If you spoke to them you wouldnt say that. A Slovenian friend was going to buy a house but now she has to wait years to see if she'll be able to stay. She can't just put her life on hold as she wants a baby so they've decided to move to France.
                                But more fundamently some of them claim they just don't feel welcome here anymore. Perhaps that will pass, but they just don't seem to want to be here any longer, and that's the point.

Romanians, Russians, Brazilians and Guyanans. Any more you want to add to that list?

Comment

Working...
                                X