X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doktor
    replied
    Originally posted by snapper View Post
    Quite aware of that a PM needs to have a majority to pass a Law etc... Not my point though. Is a Prime Minister elected solely by 300 odd MPs more democratically legitimate than one elected by the nation? Those who voted for Brexit harp on about 'democracy' when then should have thought of peace in Europe imv but it seems ironic that the new PM will be elected by Tory MPs only - and I have been in the past both a Conservative and UKIP Party member.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35931968
    Than you would have a directly elected President, not PM.

Leave a comment:

• Officer of Engineers
    replied
    Quite aware of that a PM needs to have a majority to pass a Law etc... Not my point though. Is a Prime Minister elected solely by 300 odd MPs more democratically legitimate than one elected by the nation? Those who voted for Brexit harp on about 'democracy' when then should have thought of peace in Europe imv but it seems ironic that the new PM will be elected by Tory MPs only - and I have been in the past both a Conservative and UKIP Party member.
    And you worked in the British Government? The UK NEVER elect the PM. Not in her entire history. They elect the Party. The Party in charge ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS choose the PM.

Leave a comment:

• YellowFever
    replied
    Frankly, I don't really care one way or the other if the UK exits the European Union or not.

But I was just enjoying the reaction by the left immensely...until I realized this might mean Madonna is contemplating a move back to the States.

Tankie, get the old codgers to rethink their votes and repeal the referendum.

If we're stuck with Celine, you're stuck with Madonna.

Leave a comment:

• snapper
    replied
    Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
    No it does not. It is the MP's who select the Prime Minister, not the electorate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35931968
    Last edited by snapper; 27 Jun 16,, 16:20.

Leave a comment:

• Jimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    No, you don't get it. It is no more/no less important than any other piece. That's like saying your brain is more important your heart. And in case you don't get it, London does not decide for the rest of UK. Never did. Never will. Parliament does. And Parliament is not London. There's a reason why the Queen don't entertain the opinion of the Mayor of London.
    Need a like button.

Also when the UK decided to join the EU was that a simple majority vote? Anyone know?

Leave a comment:

• Officer of Engineers
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Team View Post
    Speaking as a layman who is agnostic on Brexit, what is it about questioning the logistics of the referendum that makes one an "entitled liberal millenial?" Would the same arguments have not been made if the sides were switched, given the narrow margin of victory?
    They would've been called old angry white men and be dismissed. But I don't think there would have been such the same reaction. Do recall the LEAVE side was expected to lose. Even Tankie was resigned to that fact.

That the old angry white men didn't give the entitled liberal millenials their victory while they were pubbing is what got their panties in a knot.

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
    Note that I'm discussing this within the framework of "tyranny of the majority," which is an important aspect of the American republic.
    The Constitution is the protection of the minority.

Leave a comment:

• Red Team
    replied
    Originally posted by citanon View Post
    LA requires 66%, Senate needs 2/3 to override veto, this statedoes this, this county does that and it has relevance to Brexit because of what exactly? [...]

Because right now, you are living up and then going so beyond the worst stereotypes of elitist entitled liberal millennials, that you are becoming a caricature of the caricature.
    Speaking as a layman who is agnostic on Brexit, what is it about questioning the logistics of the referendum that makes one an "entitled liberal millenial?" Would the same arguments have not been made if the sides were switched, given the narrow margin of victory? Note that I'm discussing this within the framework of "tyranny of the majority," which is an important aspect of the American republic.

Leave a comment:

• Officer of Engineers
    replied
    Originally posted by Goatboy View Post
    *sigh* Didn't I state before that if you divide England into 6 parts, London being one of them, then London is the most important individual piece?
    No, you don't get it. It is no more/no less important than any other piece. That's like saying your brain is more important your heart. And in case you don't get it, London does not decide for the rest of UK. Never did. Never will. Parliament does. And Parliament is not London. There's a reason why the Queen don't entertain the opinion of the Mayor of London.
    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 27 Jun 16,, 14:40.

Leave a comment:

• tankie
    replied
    Caption this

UK floating free somewhere near Ukraine .

your go yella .

Click image for larger version

Name:	13502070_10154290202493594_6682955871013246151_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1468925

Leave a comment:

• tankie
    replied
    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post

2nd, it is most certainly Tankie's Generation's money and not yours. Your generation has not pay into it yet. It is their pensions that they're betting their decision on. Your pensions are worth squat right now.
    My military pension was reduced this year before the referendum , go figure that one ?? austerity , yea right , now youngsters , anything to say about that in my defence , apart from fuck off n die which is on placards outside govt offices in londonistan .Colonel , Sir , please stop using my name i have crowds of kids round my place screaming , kill the old c##t ,,,,,, its his fault hahaha

Click image for larger version

Name:	13466410_1211984632153063_354576454022216497_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1468924

Leave a comment:

• Squirrel
    replied
    Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
    Mmmm, yessss, would you prefer all those BBC doco's about the nazi UKIP, how the pound will collapse, the forex will collapse, or D Cameron's assertions that WWIII will be triggered by Brexit? I do watch all channels, what's your personal preference?

This more to your liking?

The only odd thing is the chappie in the video above that raises your ire doesn't seem in the slightest bit scared. Nor old. Does he to you?
    Personally, I steer clear of infowars. "Alex Jones" is all anyone should have to say or hear in order to realize how ridiculous it is to even lend any shred of credibility.

Information and decision making shouldn't be based off of a preference. That's a very obvious bias. I don't have much "ire" as you put it. His overly aggressive approach in the video is merely an emotional appeal to his viewers. Classic infowars style approach. If you find a notorious fear-mongering propagandist agreeable, then knock yourself out. But, don't mistake my incredulous reaction for an emotional reaction. It was more of a "wow, I really expected better from you."

Leave a comment:

• Officer of Engineers
    replied
    I don't think I have ever been described like that. I am a Catholic conservative; largely 'pro life' and anti gay marriage, believe in reducing the debt, a strong military etc etc... and freedom from obtrusive Government intervention. The curvature of a bannana or a cucumber are not fitting things for legislators to pass inane rules about. The Colonel says it's 'his money' and of course his money is his own to spend as he sees fit but the problem is that UK is virtually broke... the older generations have left the younger with a deficit we shall paying for all our lives. Gambling with your own money is your right but you are gambling with in Britain the older generations have gambled on the younger generations future.
    Ok, Chicken Little. First off, the UK is NOT virtually broke. Just because the speculators lost their shirts betting on the wrong horse does not mean your house, car, tv, and money lost all their value. That is the most idiotic statement you could come up with. The North Sea Oil alone states that the UK has things the rest of Europe wants.

2nd, it is most certainly Tankie's Generation's money and not yours. Your generation has not pay into it yet. It is their pensions that they're betting their decision on. Your pensions are worth squat right now.

3rd, nobody gambled nothing. The older generation decided the future of the UK was important enough to vote on. Yours decided it was more important to go pubbing.

Leave a comment:

• YellowFever
    replied
    Originally posted by Goatboy View Post
    Uhh... yes.

And is it really necessary to dispute my point here? There are referendums in California (the ones I mentioned previously), which require 2/3 voter approval.

Research transportation measure R+. Or perhaps look back a couple pages for my relevant posts.
    No, seriously, I suggest you read up on what needs a super majority in the States and what does not.

Start with tbm3fan's post number 270.

And if that doesn't help you, try this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority

Or:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxpayer_Bill_of_Rights

You make idiotic arguments to support your side and use us as a comparison while not knowing why we here in the States vote in our laws the way we do.

I have no idea how it relates to Brexit or how UK votes for her laws but if you really want to go that route, let's follow citanon's suggestion and make Scotland leaving the UK a super majority vote.
    Last edited by YellowFever; 27 Jun 16,, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

• tankie
    replied
    Well well . Just as I predicted , hey youngsters you may get your wish after all , democracy kicked in the tits , ignored, fucked off , and look who is advocating it ,,tarzipan heseltine , a youngster of nearly 100 years old ?? And lammy , now just tell me , if the ref was not legally binding as this twat is saying ,,why have one in the 1st place , why not just keep DICTATING and not acting upon the peoples will and democracy ,dont forget you tosser who put you in power and who can vote you out . YOU WERE ELECTED TO SERVE THE ELECTORATE , NOT DICTATE , NO WONDER YOU FUCKIN SHOWER ARE DESPISED .

EU referendum
    Parliamentary fightback against Brexit on cards
    Pro-remain figures urge second EU referendum, with Lord Heseltine pointing to majority in Commons against leaving

Michael Heseltine is calling for a cross-party group of MPs to ‘articulate the case for Britain rethinking the result of the referendum’.

The prospect of a parliamentary fightback against the result of the EU referendum gathered pace on Sunday, with pro-remain figures saying they would not “roll over and give up”.

Some are urging a second referendum after Brexit negotiations have taken place.

Lord Heseltine has pointed to the practicalities of an overwhelming majority in the House of Commons against leaving the EU. “There is a majority of something like 350 in the House of Commons broadly in favour of the European relationship,” he said.

“There is no way you are going to get those people to say black is white and change their minds unless a) they know what the deal is and b) it has been supported either by an election or by another referendum,” Heseltine told Sky News. “So there’s a dramatic urgency to get on with the negotiations.”

He called for a cross-party group of MPs to look at the options and “articulate the case for Britain rethinking the result of the referendum”.

Earlier, Tony Blair, the former prime minister, said nothing should be ruled out. “As I’m looking at it here, I can’t see how we can do that. But, you know, the point is, why rule anything out right now?” Blair said the nation needed to consider the consequences of Brexit over the coming weeks and months.

But he added: “I can’t see how you would go through all of the mechanics of another referendum now, I just can’t see it.”

EU referendum: how Britain voted for Brexit

Tim Farron, the Liberal Democrat leader, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA libturd ,, said his party would not “roll over and give up” over the issue, pledging to fight the next general election on a manifesto promise to take Britain back into the EU. “We are determined to speak to the values that 16 million voted for, and many of the 17 million as well, that Britain is an outward-looking country, not one that isolates itself,” he told the Guardian. “Like all my predecessors I will stand committed to the UK being in the EU.”

Farron said the party recognised the legitimacy of the referendum but would not give up.

Farron’s view is backed up by Labour MP, David Lammy, who said he wanted to meet the Lib Dem leader to discuss the issue. “Economic disaster and the destruction of the union with Scotland loom,” Lammy said. “At the very least we need another vote.”

Writing in the Guardian, Lammy said: “The referendum was advisory and non-binding, in contrast to the referendum on electoral reform in 2011, which imposed a legal obligation on the government to legislate. Almost 500 members of parliament declared themselves in favour of remain, and it is within their powers to stop this madness through a vote in parliament.

“It is also within parliament’s powers to call a second referendum, now that the dust has begun to settle and the reality of a post-Brexit nation is coming into view. We need a second referendum at the very least, on the basis of a plan that is yet to even be drawn up.”

Camoron said there will not be another referendum ?????? can you imagine if the remain lot had won , ??
    Last edited by tankie; 27 Jun 16,, 12:20.

Leave a comment:

• drhuy
    replied
    Originally posted by kato View Post
    I was grocery shopping in France last week. Without crossing any visible border or checkpoint, paying in the same currency i use at home and the only real difference being that my cell phone reminds me with an automated text message that I'd have to pay 0.0135 cents per minute for incoming calls while there. And in my opinion what the above nine generations did in France and elsewhere has absolutely no bearing on that.
    Although, thinking about it, on the same trip I did see a Marianne painting that came across as a bit too patriotic. Splashed over the cab of a truck with Romanian license plates pulling a semi-trailer with Hungarian license plates, a driver who had his rather Iberic name up in the cab window, transporting a pair of US Army MRAPs, on a highway rest stop in Germany, shouting out the window at another driver to move his truck in English. Can't really get more European Union.
    well, isnt crossing no visible border or checkpoint to France always German's wet dream? LOL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X