Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany Needs Post-Brexit Trade Deal to Protect its Own Economy, Minister Says

Germany needs to negotiate a new trade deal with the UK after Brexit to save its own economy from any potential fallout, a leading politician has said.
    Britain leaving the EU poses a “high risk” to the economy, Bavarian Finance Minister Ilse Aigner said, adding that the UK is one of “the most important trading partners” for the region.

“We have to do everything to address the uncertainties that have arisen,” she said. “We have to find ways to put economic relations with the UK on a new foundation without fractures.”

Her comments are in contrast to other EU politicians, who want Britain to “pay a price” for quitting the bloc in order to stop other member states from leaving.

The Telegraph reports that Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, whose country will hold the rotating EU presidency next year, said Britain must not get a “superior deal” after Brexit.

“All of us have been pretty clear in our approach that we want a fair deal for the UK but that kind of fair deal can’t translate itself into a superior deal,” he said.

“I know that there is absolutely no bluffing from the European side, at least in the council meetings I have attended, saying ‘we will start in this position and then we will soften up’. No, this is really and truly our position.”

Ms Aigner’s comments suggest some in Europe may be nervous about punishing Britain for leaving the bloc. The UK is one of their biggest trading partners and any hit on the British economy would likely have a knock-on effect across the continent.

However, Mr Muscat even went as far as questioning whether British Prime Minister Theresa May would trigger Article 50 to begin the formal process of leaving by the March deadline she has set herself.

Downing Street responded that “the timetable remains to trigger Article 50 by the end of March next year.”

Comment

• This article tells me brexit will maybe not happen , we will become part of the EU Army ,imo

The Sunday Times

Army chiefs are planning to replace 56 Challenger 2 tanks with Ajax fighting vehicles, which could be vulnerable to new Russian tanks

Army chiefs are planning to slash the number of frontline tanks by up to a third, leaving Britain with fewer tanks than Serbia.

Under the plan, one of the army’s three tank regiments will see all its 56 Challenger 2s replaced with Ajax fighting vehicles. The cut would leave the army with only about 40 more tanks than traditionally neutral Switzerland. At the other end of the scale, Russia has 2,700 tanks.

The plan, due to be announced in coming months, has alarmed serving and retired commanders and comes as Russia introduces the T-14 Armata — a new generation of tank that some experts believe has the firepower to defeat any British or American equivalent.

Colonel Bob Stewart, who led British forces in Bosnia, said: “You should only reduce your main battle tank numbers with great caution. Reducing your tank strength may well be misconstrued by our potential opponents and be perceived as weakness in our will to properly defend our country
      .”

The Ministry of Defence has signed a £3.5bn deal with the US defence company General Dynamics for nearly 600 Ajax vehicles but industry sources have reportedly highlighted their vulnerability to heavy artillery.

With a top speed of 44mph, the 38-ton Ajax is faster than the 62-ton Challenger 2 and is designed for reconnaissance and for quickly penetrating deep into enemy territory.

But it is more lightly armoured and has far less firepower, with a 44mm gun, compared with the Challenger 2’s 120mm long-range gun.

The move would result in the army’s total number of Challenger 2 tanks dropping from 227 to about 170. Of these, some 112 will be on the front line with the two remaining tank regiments; the remainder will be used for training in the UK and Canada. In contrast, Germany has 306 main battle tanks, France 200, Poland 971, Romania 437 and Serbia 212.

The Sunday Times understands that senior commanders are exploring the possibility that some of the culled tanks could be redeployed to reserve units.

The Armata was described by a senior army intelligence officer in a document leaked earlier this month as “the most revolutionary step change in tank design in the last half century”.

It has a powerful 125mm gun and “reactive armour” to destroy incoming rockets and missiles.

The MoD said: “The Challenger 2 fleet is due to have a £700m life extension programme that will ensure capability until 2035. We are also investing in the . . . multi-role Ajax armoured vehicle.”

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
        This article tells me brexit will maybe not happen , we will become part of the EU Army ,imo

The Sunday Times

Army chiefs are planning to replace 56 Challenger 2 tanks with Ajax fighting vehicles, which could be vulnerable to new Russian tanks

Army chiefs are planning to slash the number of frontline tanks by up to a third, leaving Britain with fewer tanks than Serbia.

I think I understand your point about becoming part of an EU army....Could it not be seen as fulfilling NATO commitments in support of Poland etc?

The government seem to be covering over the fact that the first 100 AJAX will be fully manufactured in Spain. With the rest of the hulls made in Spain but shipped over to Merthyr Tydfil for assembly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
          Germany needs to negotiate a new trade deal with the UK after Brexit to save its own economy from any potential fallout, a leading politician has said.
          [...] Bavarian Finance Minister Ilse Aigner
          Former federal minister of agriculture, consumer protection and food 2008 to 2013. Moved back to state politics with the aim to succeed Seehofer at some point. Last month Seehofer excluded both her and her main competitor Söder from his strategy team for the 2017 and 2018 elections though, meaning she's now in a rather vulnerable position and has to show a public profile setting her apart with regard to the conservative voter base in Bavaria to still have any chances at achieving her goals.

Above speech has to be seen in that context, especially since Brexit and potential repercussions of it are not a political topic in Germany at all since July or so (seriously, even she herself did not even mention it publicly inbetween June 24th and November 24th...).

Most people outside Bavaria consider her a "dinosaur" btw.

Originally posted by Toby View Post
          The government seem to be covering over the fact that the first 100 AJAX will be fully manufactured in Spain. With the rest of the hulls made in Spain but shipped over to Merthyr Tydfil for assembly.
          Given the strategy of the American producers of Ajax (i.e. GDLS) they could just as well build them at their plants in Germany or Austria btw. Guess that wouldn't be cheap enough though.
          Last edited by kato; 27 Nov 16,, 14:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post

The day after we left British goods would stop moving at Calais and other european ports. It would be the 'cliff edge' nightmare scenario that businesses have been warning about.
            And European goods would stop entering the UK. Germany currently (2015) exports 50 Billion Euros more to the UK than the UK exports to Germany. That's an awful lot of German jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post

Most people outside Bavaria consider her a "dinosaur" btw.

Even dinosaurs can be right. ;)

Comment

And European goods would stop entering the UK. Germany currently (2015) exports 50 Billion Euros more to the UK than the UK exports to Germany. That's an awful lot of German jobs.
                Agreed, hence the need for both Britain and the UK to avoid the 'cliff edge' scenario. That's the point I was trying to make.

I really think if we are really going to hard Brexit, we need some kind of transitionary period, but the gutter press will go crazy and make it politically difficult.

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post
                  Agreed, hence the need for both Britain and the UK to avoid the 'cliff edge' scenario. That's the point I was trying to make.

I really think if we are really going to hard Brexit, we need some kind of transitionary period, but the gutter press will go crazy and make it politically difficult.
                  Looks like Mark Carney agrees with you. http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bri...-idUKKBN13L0Z5
                  I do find it very strange that while unelected commissioners talk tough on any deal with the UK, The leaders of the countries they are suppose to be representing say very little and yet they are the ones that were elected, really bizarre!

Comment

I think I understand your point about becoming part of an EU army....Could it not be seen as fulfilling NATO commitments in support of Poland etc?

Ref Poland ,not to sure about that , but to think for the country who invented tanks and has the best , or had , tank making company,Vickers , it sickening to watch them slowly die while other countries profit , same as British Steel , it surely inherited a crap name with ta ta , there is definitely a stink in the air over brexit though , I voted out but not convinced that now we ever will be ,for all Pm Mays talk , she is still a remainer , but time will tell . ��Ahhh well hopefully Austria will leave and if Lepenn gets in in France then its timber time Ireckon , the house of cards will be over .
                    Last edited by tankie; 28 Nov 16,, 06:50.

Comment

• Potential good news for remainers..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38126899

Comment

Looks like Mark Carney agrees with you. http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bri...-idUKKBN13L0Z5
                        I do find it very strange that while unelected commissioners talk tough on any deal with the UK, The leaders of the countries they are suppose to be representing say very little and yet they are the ones that were elected, really bizarre!
                        Really we need a transition period of a decade rather than 2 years. It'll never happen, but if it did it would give us time to get those FTA's in place before crashing out of the single market. That would be the smoothest and most sensible approach, giving businesses a long time to adjust their business models away from Europe and towards other markets.

It would be great for Ireland too so it could re-orient its trade away from the UK. It's currently way to reliant on British markets and Brexit may be even worse for Ireland than it is Britian.

The Brexiteers would never allow it though.

Comment

• zara according to the article i posted , there is no org called the single mkt , this bit below , now remember im just the messenger lol

Another fallacy I see in the daily press is that “staying in the single market implies a duty to accept free movement of labour”. Why? There is no organisation called “The Single Market”.
                          [QUOTE] .

Your quite correct ref the chaos ,,but thats the tories fault with no exit plan , pure arrogance from camoronoccio n osbourne the coke sniffing druggy , whom by the way are making mega bucks on the speech giving circuit ,osbourne just pocketed app 380k , a sum most would slave for a lifetime for ??but it wont bother them with austerity n foodbanks , troughing while people are dying thro their austerity plans and welfare slashes from the ones who need it most . You I and others will never see eye to eye on brexit , but when the dust settles and we are fully hard out , people have to unite and pull in the same direction to make it work ,

Comment

• There is no organisation called 'The single market'. The organisation is called 'The EEA'. Every country in the EEA has to accept freedom of movement.
                            Switzerland is an exception to this - Its in the single market but not the EEA due to a complex arrangment of FTA's it has with the EU. But it too must accept freedom of movement. Brussels regret letting Switzerland in, and will not give the UK the same terms. They are even toughening up the rules against Switzerland.

It may be the Tories fault but that doesn't change the fact that it's now our problem.

I really think the 'deal' the EU will offer us is to join the EEA or it's WTO terms.
                            It's just not in their interest to give a preferential deal for a departing state, and that fact will trump any consideration on cars or Prosecco.

Comment

• Another thing is that even if they did miracously say that we could stay in the single market without freedom of movement, that would still mean the Eupopean courts would have jurisdiction. You can't have a single market without shared arbitration.

Comment

• The (once again) rev vote was for OUT , not for deals , out end of bye bye .

And now the new UKIP leader P Nuttall has just said the same thing , interesting times ahead .

Comment

Working...
                                X