Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it would be a good thing, compulsary voting , it would then put an end to all the doubt and show a fair result

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post
      Like they do in Australia? One of my friends got a 50 dollar fine for not voting!
      Not sure about that... maybe... think I'd need to read up on it before forming a view.
      They got ripped. I've paid $20. Make more than that in the time it takes to vote, and trust me they aren't respecting me enough to get it. So at $20, I say it's optional. I very much doubt those on higher incomes could be assed either. Probably therefor supports the proletariat parties more.
      Ego Numquam

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
        Just as a note there: If the UK got a soft Brexit and managed to negotiate for Norwegian access conditions - which is rather unlikely - upscaled accordingly to British GDP at the time of the vote it'd have saved about 1-2 billion pounds a year compared to previous contributions as a member to the EU. Of course those 1-2 billion would then have likely gone into related costs on top of the Norwegian conditions, such as paying for British national former EU staff (which, in a lump sum, would probably amount to anywhere between 5 and 10 billion, and will definitely be an item of contention in exit talks if the UK ever dares to declare Article 50).
        Think a soft Brexit is just not on the cards. Norway has said they would veto our re-entry into EFTA. We'd have to negotiate a Swiss type deal that includes freedom of movement.

Unfortuantely most quiters seem to have voted against foreigners, or at least the government is interpreting it that way, so were buggered. It's hard brexit or no brexit as Donald Tusk said.

Comment

• Hard or soft , I'm beginning to think neither , a protest outside the house of parliament which was supposed to attract 1000s fizzled out to about 100 , seems like people are sick of it all , the waiting , the politicians etc etc to tell the truth after the Hammond delivered his budget yesterday and pensioners are gonna get more austerity and reductions , I'm now wondering if we never leave I would like to see a start for a campaign for equal rights ,pensioners in Germany and other countries get 3 to 4 times the amount we do in the UK , seems fair to me that in one Union every one gets the same , and its not like the tories say , a benefit ,its no such thing , we have paid for it over the years

Comment

Which regulations are you looking forward to getting rid of?
            For me, things were working just fine around 1985. So apart from the obvious ones that make sense. Get rid of say 90% and also when we leave Abolish VAT..as there is no longer any need for it....it'll put money in peoples pockets that they will spend on eating out and shopping with...giving the economy one enormous kick in the right direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
              For me, things were working just fine around 1985.
              You mean before Thatcher negotiated your rebate? ;)

Comment

You mean before Thatcher negotiated your rebate? ;)
                :) In terms of there being low skilled jobs in manufacturing without the health and safety executive breathing down everyone's neck....

Comment

For me, things were working just fine around 1985. So apart from the obvious ones that make sense. Get rid of say 90% and also when we leave Abolish VAT..as there is no longer any need for it....it'll put money in peoples pockets that they will spend on eating out and shopping with...giving the economy one enormous kick in the right direction.
                  Abolish VAT? havent you heard? We've just borrowed over £100 billion! How are we gonna hand out a huge tax cut and pay back the debt. Fantasy economics really.
                  You want to get rid of 90% of EU laws.. can you name any? or did you just pluck that number out of thin air?

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                    Hard or soft , I'm beginning to think neither , a protest outside the house of parliament which was supposed to attract 1000s fizzled out to about 100 , seems like people are sick of it all , the waiting , the politicians etc etc to tell the truth after the Hammond delivered his budget yesterday and pensioners are gonna get more austerity and reductions , I'm now wondering if we never leave I would like to see a start for a campaign for equal rights ,pensioners in Germany and other countries get 3 to 4 times the amount we do in the UK , seems fair to me that in one Union every one gets the same , and its not like the tories say , a benefit ,its no such thing , we have paid for it over the years
                    In order to do that we'd probably need to become a federal EU. Remember we could pay pensioners more, but we choose to spend our money on different things than germany e.g. nuclear weapons etc. It's about priorities. And Brexit will hurt pensions.

Comment

:) In terms of there being low skilled jobs in manufacturing without the health and safety executive breathing down everyone's neck....
                      Right, back to the Miner's Strike then and the Thatcherites still riding the Winter of Discontent...

Originally posted by zara View Post
                      Remember we could pay pensioners more, but we choose to spend our money on different things than germany e.g. nuclear weapons etc. It's about priorities.
                      Uh, the average pension in the UK is slightly higher than in Germany.
                      Last edited by kato; 24 Nov 16,, 21:51.

Comment

Oh I didnt know, just assumed Tankie was right..

Comment

Abolish VAT? havent you heard? We've just borrowed over £100 billion! How are we gonna hand out a huge tax cut and pay back the debt. Fantasy economics really.
                          You want to get rid of 90% of EU laws.. can you name any? or did you just pluck that number out of thin air?
                          "On 1 January 1973 the UK joined the European Economic Community and as a consequence Purchase Tax was replaced by Value Added Tax on 1 April 1973" . So for me it would be perfectly symbolic to abolish it.
                          Zara a 100 billion is nothing compared with the actual UK debt of nearly 2 trillion pounds, If the UK government was actually serious about reducing national debt all civil servants would surrender their pensions and more than half the national debt would simply disappear. Which is quite staggering considering only approx 400,000 people work for the civil service at any given time in recent years.
                          In terms of EU regulations Zara you sound very much like a bureaucrat talking down to the very people that built the UK with absolutely NO regulations what so ever!

Comment

Right, back to the Miner's Strike then and the Thatcherites still riding the Winter of Discontent....
                            Maybe in Yorkshire, but in Lancashire it was all sunshine, in fact quite blissful! ;)

Comment

That's an interesting comment, do you have figures to support that?

Comment

Right, back to the Miner's Strike then and the Thatcherites still riding the Winter of Discontent...

Wrong we are ranked below germany with the greeks at the top . google it zara .
                                Last edited by tankie; 25 Nov 16,, 10:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X