This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UKs referendum on the EU membership

People may or may not know about the in / out , UKs referendum , its all over the news here , myself im voting out , lots of reasons , but how does the WAB think or not think , about this and the outcome , 6 senior tory politicians are voting against camoron and want out along with app 140 others . ????
    Last edited by tankie; 24 Feb 16,, 21:46.

With Boris moving against Cameron it's become a lot more interesting. The UK IMHO is better off outside but it'll never return to the 'leader of the commonwealth' which a lot of out supporters seem to think will happen. Instead you'll be an independent nation of 65m people setting their own destination, a good thing I believe, given the massive cultural differences between yourselves and Europe. It's seems forever that a vote has been promised, always deferred to 'after the next election', does it actually have a firm date yet?
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

23 July is voting day I believe. Or somewhere round that time. I dunno if I will be allowed to vote but I hope we get out of the EU. My earnings would be a lot better without being undercut by a bunch of Eastern Euros workin for cheap on uninsured substandard rickshaws.

Comment

Yup 23rd July is the day , Boris is obviously trying for PM as camoron will probably resign if the vote is out , and with Boris showing his intention it MAY have an influence on the outcome ,but UKIP will have a massive influence on it with Farage leading the charge , the population via other social networks are wanting out , and I'm with them .

Comment

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
          23 July is voting day I believe. Or somewhere round that time. I dunno if I will be allowed to vote but I hope we get out of the EU. My earnings would be a lot better without being undercut by a bunch of Eastern Euros workin for cheap on uninsured substandard rickshaws.
          That is all for the better.East Europe will get a few talented people back.You will have to finally notice the bunch of 3d worlders that made London non-British.That might be racist though :)
          And yes,fvck the EU.
          Those who know don't speak
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Although I don't have a vote, everyone without a vote feels free to opine on American politics, so here goes:

I would vote to stay in the EU. The net costs of staying in are low, and the cost of Brexit -- mainly, but not exclusively uncertainty -- is far to high.

Those who believe the UK will simply renegotiate favo(u)rable access to the EU market haven't considered the opportunity Brexit presents to UK business competitors. Let's say on the day after Brexit, Insurance Company UK wants to open negotiations on market access. Across the EU, every other insurance company gets on the phone to their representatives and PR agencies and sends a single message: stall. Don't let them back into the market just yet. Give us a year, or 10, and then we'll be in a position to talk.

Multiply that by every industry in which the UK has any kind of strategic or competitive advantage.
            Repeat.
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
              Although I don't have a vote, everyone without a vote feels free to opine on American politics, so here goes:

I would vote to stay in the EU. The net costs of staying in are low, and the cost of Brexit -- mainly, but not exclusively uncertainty -- is far to high.

Those who believe the UK will simply renegotiate favo(u)rable access to the EU market haven't considered the opportunity Brexit presents to UK business competitors. Let's say on the day after Brexit, Insurance Company UK wants to open negotiations on market access. Across the EU, every other insurance company gets on the phone to their representatives and PR agencies and sends a single message: stall. Don't let them back into the market just yet. Give us a year, or 10, and then we'll be in a position to talk.

Multiply that by every industry in which the UK has any kind of strategic or competitive advantage.
              Repeat.
              You think 55 million per day is low , ???? for what is given back its an insult , we the uk are paying more than any other so i believe , our NHS and pensioners could use that money more than the EU , just one reason im voting out .

Comment

So what are plus/minuses here? The UK is not really a full in member of the EU. So what are the benefits of staying vice going?
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Just gonna throw this out here for folks (like me) that were unaware of the relative complexity of the EU.
                  The YouTuber, CGP Grey, does excellent videos for explaining all kinds of stuff.

*Caveat Emptor, this video was made in 2013 and there have been changes since then

Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    So what are plus/minuses here? The UK is not really a full in member of the EU. So what are the benefits of staying vice going?
                    What do you mean not a full member? They are not in Euro and Schengen, but they can veto resolutions, have MEPs, contribute and receive...
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      You think 55 million per day is low , ???? for what is given back its an insult , we the uk are paying more than any other so i believe , our NHS and pensioners could use that money more than the EU , just one reason im voting out .
                      It is actually slightly less than 30 mn euros. Still high, but close to half of what you put.

Thing is, what do you get for that amount and is it worth it? For instance a market for your companies.

All up to you folks, by all means do as you see fit, you are the ones who will have to live with it later, be it for better or worse.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                        The YouTuber, CGP Grey, does excellent videos for explaining all kinds of stuff.
                        This guy has a lot of great content on Youtube. Love his videos.

Comment

Britain accounts for 20% of foreign direct foreign investment in the EU. That the EU will place extremely severe trading restrictions on Britain out of pique has already been well signalled. How prepared Britain is to open trade with the rest of the world instead of the Euro-go-round I don't know. I'm doubtful however that 'the city' is suddenly going to move from London to Calais, given the far more punitive restrictions and taxes Brussels would place on them.
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

All I know is I paid too much for pound sterling back in November.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                              I'm doubtful however that 'the city' is suddenly going to move from London to Calais
                              It's funny that right around the time Cameron announces the "opt-out date", the London Stock Exchange announces that it's about to be swallowed by the Frankfurt Stock Exchange. The City bailing out of a bail-out Britain...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35639157

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              Lack of freedom of movement for once. There's around 1.5 million British citizens in other EU countries many of which will face huge problems getting residence or work permits. This is a more relevant problem than one might think, given that there's been between a quarter million and half a million British emigrating from the island every year since the 90s.

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                              They are not in Euro and Schengen, but they can veto resolutions, have MEPs, contribute and receive...
                              They're also technically given huge benefits over other member countries, foremost the "Thatcher rebate". Which in my opinion Britain should pay back in case of a bail-out. Backdated to 1984. Around 100 billion Euro, plus interest. In fact, in my opinion we should make them pay it back regardless of whether they bail out.
                              Last edited by kato; 25 Feb 16,, 21:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X