• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Monash. Nice work!
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      Implying had the altercation not occurred then less or no lives may have been lost ?
      Lets leave this one in the wash until the coronial is over. At this stage people think they know what happened. Why it happened as it did and what caused it to happen at that particular time has still to be clarified. I would be loath to start second guessing the actions of those involved at the very least until all the reports are in and we had all the facts. Could it have ended differently, yes, but then the outcome could have been worse as well as better.
      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

the last thing anyone would want to do is 2nd guess the commander on the ground

note earlier my comment about a concentric breach and why you would consider multiple teams. as it turns out Monis was dividing up the hostages and it was after he told the hostages that they would die in the morning that one group decided that they had to make a break for it as they had nothing to lose.

non command/operational material will come out in the coronial report
        Linkeden:
        http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
        http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks GF. I'm on leave at the moment and out of the loop. In any event you seem to have a handle on all the stuff that can be publicly discussed. Please keep the updates coming.
          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
            Lets leave this one in the wash until the coronial is over. At this stage people think they know what happened. Why it happened as it did and what caused it to happen at that particular time has still to be clarified. I would be loath to start second guessing the actions of those involved at the very least until all the reports are in and we had all the facts. Could it have ended differently, yes, but then the outcome could have been worse as well as better.
            Am not commenting on the decision of the commander, if anything i would say he was right to move at the time. Agitated perp means more lives lost, so move in to avert. Forced into it.

Rather i was thinking about the hostage who decided enough was enough and wanted to sort it out. Some people think this is idiotic, i think it was heroic. Yeah it could go horribly wrong but the guy is risking his life on that bet. Be crazier than the guy holding you up. About not giving in and if you're going to die then it won't be sitting down.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 22 Dec 14,, 23:25.

Comment

DE, that's what I was commenting on to.

Comment

gf0012,

If you are still following this thread, may I ask what difference does it make if a threat with a bomb and a dead man's switch is taken out by snipers or assaulters? I have an idea but it appears very nasty for the assaulters.
                All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                  gf0012,

If you are still following this thread, may I ask what difference does it make if a threat with a bomb and a dead man's switch is taken out by snipers or assaulters? I have an idea but it appears very nasty for the assaulters.
                  the issue for the hostages is that a terrorist with a bomb or dead mans switch can kill them in a micro second - if a sniper shoots the terrorist and they release the switch then everyone in range is at risk
                  the issue for the assaulter is that they are pretty well guaranteed to take the blast ahead of the rest of the team
                  Linkeden:

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                    the issue for the assaulter is that they are pretty well guaranteed to take the blast ahead of the rest of the team
                    That's my guess after reading your post. Takes grim courage to rescue hostages for a living.
                    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                      That's my guess after reading your post. Takes grim courage to rescue hostages for a living.
                      balls of steel running primary in an unknown situation...
                      Linkeden:

Comment

Back from NZ now - having spent far to much time stamping out conspiracy rumors about 3rd party involvement and mysterious 'warnings' prior to the event. Sheesh!

Comment

Working...
                        X