Israel OKs Controversial Law To Conscript Haredi community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel OKs Controversial Law To Conscript Haredi community

Israel OKs Controversial Law To Conscript Ultra-Orthodox Jews : The Two-Way : NPR

Israeli lawmakers have voted to end the practice of exempting ultra-Orthodox Jews, or Haredi, from national service, a move that opens them up to military conscription for the first time in the country's 65-year history.
    I just don't get the logic of allowing this till now. Israel has a precarious security and defense situation. The state of Israel and the IDF fights to protect these chaps the very right to engage in their rights and they shun their obligations. This seems to me to be a get out of draft card.

Glad to see the Israelis are chucking it.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

If they are ultra religious and their religion forbids them to engage in a fight, what use of them? Priests or cooks?

On a second thought...

*Colonel steps in* "Let them dig latrines"
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

iirc when this law was passed ultra ortodox were like 0.5% of population, now it is around 10%.
      i've seen tv news coverage about it. few of them were interviewed, they say ,thay are made to serve god, nothing else. may be god should protect, and feed them than.

few days ago there was a protest in nyc, about 50000 hosidic jews showed up to oppose new law.

we should wait for Benny to come in, i wonder how he feels about this whole situation.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Judging by previous comments he's made, he'll be delighted
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          If they are ultra religious and their religion forbids them to engage in a fight, what use of them? Priests or cooks?

On a second thought...

*Colonel steps in* "Let them dig latrines"
          I just find it odd that the rest of the population, who may not be as strong believers as these folks are, are putting their lives on line to protect the ways of life of these people, and they can't be bothered to show up.
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
            I just find it odd that the rest of the population, who may not be as strong believers as these folks are, are putting their lives on line to protect the ways of life of these people, and they can't be bothered to show up.
            They are putting their lives in line in order to safe own lives and lives of their close ones. Saving their ultra-religious compatriots is a bonus they can rub them with later.

We had a weird situation in 2001. Macedonians who lived in Tetovo (a city in the NW of the country) fled the city due to tensions. 90% of them never showed on reserve activation calls to defend their houses.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Perhaps Ultra Orthodox Jews should be given a choice, conscription or no State Benefits? Lets see them put their money where their principals are.
              Last edited by Monash; 14 Mar 14,, 11:35.
              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Unless one of the thugs who occupied Palestine was the Messiah in heavy disguise, there are no orthodox Jews in Palestine.

Comment

Working...
                X