Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran dispatches warships to US maritime border

http://rt.com/news/iran-warships-us-waters-197/

It's all in the title. The rest is noise.

Assuming they will actually make it there... is it a one-way ticket? What the sailors are supposed to eat..?

:insane:
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Wonderful. Now let's have some MORE dialogue with Iran and see what else they send over.

Comment

In September 2012 the admiral reiterated Iran's plans for sailing off the US coasts to counter the US presence in its waters in the Persian Gulf.
      Note the date. There hasn't been a peep out of Iran's admirals since the embargo was partially lifted. It was hot air to begin with. Don't look for any provocations by armed Iranian luxury yachts soon.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

"The Iranian Army's naval fleets have already started their voyage towards the Atlantic Ocean via the waters near South Africa," Commander of Iran's Northern Navy Fleet, Admiral Afshin Rezayee Haddad, announced on Saturday.
        JAD, all I read was "already dispatched", his rank and the media.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          JAD, all I read was "already dispatched"...
          Must have taken the long way around under sail, cause nothing has shown up yet--at least that we know of.

Want me to bury the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
            Must have taken the long way around under sail, cause nothing has shown up yet--at least that we know of.

Want me to bury the thread?
            Lets check and see if the destroyer is in the inventory of the Somali pirates. That would explain the silence. Equally plausible is that the new Iranian "stealth fighter" crashed into the destroyer and they both sunk.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

This is breaking new all over the media. It isn't old, it's current. Here is another source:

In first, Iranian warships en route to Atlantic
              Khark helicopter-carrier warship and Sabalan destroyer said heading west in historic trip, no military objective mentioned
              BY TIMES OF ISRAEL STAFF January 21, 2014, 12:20 pm

Iran’s navy has dispatched warships on a mission to the Atlantic Ocean for the first time in history, an Iranian news agency said.

The flotilla, consisting of a Khark logistic and helicopter-carrier warship and Sabalan destroyer, could journey as much as 25,000 nautical kilometers in the next three months, Fars News reported Tuesday.

No specific military mission was identified, and no ports of call were mentioned.

Bidding farewell to the crews, Rear Admiral Seyyed Mahmoud Moussavi said Iran has a message of peace and friendship for the nations of the world and only seeks to display its defensive power capabilities.

But previous statements by high-ranking Iranian naval personnel had declared Iran’s intention to dispatch a next flotilla of warships to the high seas at around this date to protect the country’s cargo ships and oil tankers against pirate attacks.

According to navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari, “The navy’s next flotilla will be dispatched to either the Pacific Ocean or the Atlantic on January 21 – February 20.” He underlined that the flotilla will pass through the Mediterranean Sea to reach the Atlantic Ocean.

Since November 2008, the Iranian navy has been operating anti-piracy patrols in the Gulf of Aden, after Somali buccaneers hijacked the Iranian-chartered cargo ship, MV Delight, off the coast of Yemen.

The Gulf of Aden — which links the Indian Ocean to the Mediterranean via the Suez Canal — is a critical energy corridor and the primary route for Persian Gulf oil shipped to Western markets.

In first, Iranian warships en route to Atlantic | The Times of Israel

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                This is breaking new all over the media. It isn't old, it's current. Here is another source:

In first, Iranian warships en route to Atlantic
                Khark helicopter-carrier warship and Sabalan destroyer said heading west in historic trip, no military objective mentioned
                BY TIMES OF ISRAEL STAFF January 21, 2014, 12:20 pm

Iran’s navy has dispatched warships on a mission to the Atlantic Ocean for the first time in history, an Iranian news agency said.
                Julie,

Look at the dates. Unless the Iranian Navy is still operating on coal then this is not very 'current'. Three weeks is an awfully long time to take to get from Iran to the Atlantic unless you are going via Asia. Did those ships turn up anywhere? Did they transit the Suez Canal? Pass the Cape of Good Hope? Straits of Gibraltar? I'm sure somebody would have noticed.

Iran seems to make a habit of making big military announcements that are all hot air. Remember the chuckleworthy 'stealth aircraft'. Worse, there are people outside Iran who will inflate any news story about Iran, no matter how dubious, into something big - remember 'Isfahan has been evacuated due to a nuclear leak'?

Maybe Iran actually will send a few ships into the Atlantic. They will be detected & shadowed the moment they get near anything that matters & every moment of their short time in the Atlantic will be monitored. In the meantime the conservative blogshpere & Fox will delight in telling us that it is a harbinger of the apocalypse & that thanks to Obama Iran is now going to invade America...or somesuch. They are probably more excited about it than the Iranians.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

The AP story claims "the destroyer Sabalan and the logistic helicopter carrier Khark will be dispatched on a three-month voyage. The warships will have task of securing shipping routes as well as training new personnel," the semi-official Fars news agency quoted Iran's navy chief Admiral Habibollah Sayyari as saying. It said the ships, carrying some 30 navy academy cadets for training along with their regular crews, left the southern Iranian port of Bandar Abbas. It did not mention any ports of call."

Iran sends warships to Atlantic

I dunno, but it is supposed to be a 3-month voyage and I'm sure if they are "securing shipping routes," they will be porting in other places in route to the Atlantic.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                    The AP story claims "the destroyer Sabalan and the logistic helicopter carrier Khark will be dispatched on a three-month voyage. The warships will have task of securing shipping routes as well as training new personnel," the semi-official Fars news agency quoted Iran's navy chief Admiral Habibollah Sayyari as saying. It said the ships, carrying some 30 navy academy cadets for training along with their regular crews, left the southern Iranian port of Bandar Abbas. It did not mention any ports of call."

Iran sends warships to Atlantic

I dunno, but it is supposed to be a 3-month voyage and I'm sure if they are "securing shipping routes," they will be porting in other places in route to the Atlantic.
                    Yeah, but Julie, there's no mention this time of trolling US maritime limits. Someone is trying to put two separate Iranian announcements together to make it appear the first is the Iranian objective. Anyway, we'll see. Never put anything past the Iranians.

Comment

Who cares, they have as much right to be in international waters as anyone else. If they cross into any countries territorial waters without permission they will meet a violent response.

The Iranians know this as much as anybody else, Julie I would have thought you've been on WAB long enough to understand how basic maritime law works, the Iranians are trolling and your joining the chorus of the masses feeding those trolls.
                      The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

"The admiral, who also heads up the Iranian Army's 4th Naval Zone, added that the ships are approaching the United States' maritime borders, “and this move has a message."

I'm sorry, the USN couldn't hear the message over the sound of their laughter....

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                          Who cares, they have as much right to be in international waters as anyone else. If they cross into any countries territorial waters without permission they will meet a violent response.

The Iranians know this as much as anybody else, Julie I would have thought you've been on WAB long enough to understand how basic maritime law works, the Iranians are trolling and your joining the chorus of the masses feeding those trolls.
                          Well, ordinarily no one would care, but since the voyage was couched in provocative terms, we do care. But I still have a hard time believing the Iranian government would sanction a provocation against the US at this point in the post-nuke-talks atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post

I understand what you are saying, I'm just leaving the guard up. Iran has been toying with nuclear crap the last several years, only they don't have a missile to get it here. You never know what those dingbats might do.

Yello, the USN must have been laughing too in Pearl Harbor? My dad was there by the way, he was a survivor of course or I wouldn't be here today.

Russia also did some fly-byes some time back. Some countries no longer have the fear of the US as they had in the past, and the result of that is making some bold moves.

Just sayin...laugh and roll your eyes now. Just don't get caught with your pants down.

Comment

It's for domestic consumption only, there isn't a single officer in the Iranian navy that believes the US is going to be intimidated by this.

What it will do is provide a small propaganda victory at home 'proving' the US is weak and that the mighty Iranian navy can sail into their home waters while the natives tremble at the sight of a fleet oiler and a 40 year old 'destroyer'.
                              The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Working...
                              X