Global Slavery/Trafficking Reports 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    You might want to believe that and I know most people here cannot believe anything else but the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Somalia, Rwanda, Yugoslavia, Ho Chi Min were not born of the 13th Century.

It's easy to learn to kill women and children. Way too easy.
    With such an extensive list, you missed the Imperial Japanese Army.. , the Nanking, the 731 that put even Genghis Khan in shame

Comment

Originally posted by cdude View Post
      With such an extensive list, you missed the Imperial Japanese Army.. , the Nanking, the 731 that put even Genghis Khan in shame
      Please stop de-railing every thread you step onto.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        OK, I get it. But isn't that a necessary for poor landowners? This happens now even. One of the main reasons for high population. This thread is hijacked btw.
        Not really hijacked. Discussing child labour. There are a couple of $million farms around here and their kids are doing labour at harvest or planting time. Don't think it's a matter of not affording the necessary help but that, it is expected that the kids work.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Not really hijacked. Discussing child labour. There are a couple of $million farms around here and their kids are doing labour at harvest or planting time. Don't think it's a matter of not affording the necessary help but that, it is expected that the kids work.
          I get your point. My farm, my kids work - so it's fine. But if I were to hire help, then comes the law into account. What's the escape really?
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
            Child labour has also been illegal in India for a while. Enforcement, like for many other laws, is almost non-existent. I would expect the same in Vietnam.
            "Child Labor" usually reminds us of scenes of kids working at construction sites and sweatshops. A much more widespread sort of Child labor is kids working as housemaids/houseboys and nanny's, much like what Linh My mentioned. This is common across India, especially the nanny part. I don't know if all of them were factored in. I wouldn't be surprised if the number were even higher than 14 million.

I can't say if all of them count as slaves though. Most families who employ them don't stop them if they want to leave, or if their parents want them to return. It is still illegal though and complicated by the fact that nobody reports it as a crime unless they are mistreated and in the worst cases, even after that.

Comment

I get your point. My farm, my kids work - so it's fine. But if I were to hire help, then comes the law into account. What's the escape really?
              If you are talking work as an educational exercise,it's fine.Kids grow to appreciate what it takes to make a buck.They also may learn what to dislike.Either way you get improvement at school :)
              If you are talking a God forsaken place,with no school for 300 miles and the nearest thing to law and order is a gang leader with an RPG,it's not really much of a choice,but also not much of a loss.Those people are in much deeper problems than slavery.

When it comes to legality,putting some bread on the table and having a roof above your head are stronger imperatives than whatever some inept government has decreed.
              Those who know don't speak
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

/\/\/\ Nice way to put across your points mate. Appreciate that.

How'z Dracula btw?

Comment

I'm fine,mate.Thanks.

Speaking of real slavery,AFAIK it involves several criminal aspects.The most serious being kidnapping.The ex-Soviet mob has no qualms threatening families of young women they snatch and sell.In Romania the criminals usually lure them with false hopes of a legit job.People got smarter with experience,but there is still no shortage of stupids.If the victims also have some sort of mental disorder,all the better for the scumbags.Once they arrive at the destination,their ID's are confiscated.Women are raped,forced into prostitution and repeatedly sold from one pimp to another.Men are just used for labor.Never heard of male sex slavery,but it's never too late.

A particular sort of scumbag is the seducer.It's not really a big deal to seduce a certain sort of teenage girls.She ends leaving with her ''lover''.Who is,of course,a member of the gang.

A friend of a friend had his niece receiving this treatment.The guy was a case officer .Fortunately,the girl and other victims were found quickly and the gang arrested. The lawyer of the seducer was pulled over by the traffic police for routine checks,that,for some reasons, prolonged for 2 hours.Meaning that for 2 hours the seducer did not existed and his rights certainly did not.

I really hope the guy did not BS-ed me wrt the story.
                  Last edited by Mihais; 17 Oct 13,, 22:01.
                  Those who know don't speak
                  He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

I don't see one country on any of the list and I was certain it will be in tops... Philippines :red:

*feels prejudiced and poisoned by media*
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Please stop de-railing every thread you step onto.
                      Don't tell me what I can or cannot do on WAB, you are not a MOD. If you feel so enraged, report to the MOD.

Comment

cdude Reply

It's a request from Oracle.

Did you note "please" prefaced his comment?
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          I don't see one country on any of the list and I was certain it will be in tops... Philippines :red:

*feels prejudiced and poisoned by media*

Why?

I am fairly familiar with what goes on in the Philippines and by whom.

Comment

Originally posted by cdude View Post
                            Don't tell me what I can or cannot do on WAB, you are not a MOD. If you feel so enraged, report to the MOD.
                            Sorry mate. Please do as you please.

Comment

Instead of criticizing other countries, everyone should read the detailed analysis that pertains to his/her country and pressure your governments to improve on slavery/trafficking shortcomings.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                                Why?

I am fairly familiar with what goes on in the Philippines and by whom.
                                In the local medias over here from time to time there are reports for human trafficking going on there on a large scale. Also reports that in the rural areas there is still blood vengeance, arranged marriages, a lot of immigrants...

Over here, if you read/watch the media, that one country would be your last place you'd wanna go.
                                All that without going into the reports for terrorists, volcanoes, winds...

Anyway, If these reports are any indicator, I am truly glad to not see the country on the lists. Was expecting worse.
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                                X