X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killers' life terms 'breach their human rights'

Killers' life terms 'breach their human rights'
    July 9, 2013

The appeal was brought by three killers - Jeremy Bamber (L), Douglas Vinter (C) and Peter Moore

The European Court of Human Rights has ruled the whole-life tariffs given to murderer Jeremy Bamber and two other killers breached their human rights. The judges ruled by 16 to one there had to be a review of the sentence and the possibility of a release. But they said this did not mean there was "any prospect of imminent release". BBC home affairs correspondent Dominic Casciani said the ruling, which applies in England and Wales, was significant both legally and politically, and it would now have to be considered by the UK government. The government cannot appeal against this ruling but now has six months to consider its response.

Justice Secretary Chris Grayling said: "I don't believe that the people who wrote that convention ever imagined that it would stop a judge saying to a really evil offender - 'you'll spend the rest of your life behind bars'. "It reaffirms, to me, my own determination to bring real changes to our human rights laws and to see a real curtailing of the role of the European Court in this country."

Former Labour home secretary David Blunkett said his government changed the law in 2003 "so that life really meant life when sentencing those who had committed the most heinous crimes". "Whatever the technical justification the Strasbourg court may have, it is the right of the British Parliament to determine the sentence of those who have committed such crimes..." he said. "To do otherwise can only lead to disillusionment, mistrust of, and a dangerous alienation from, our democracy itself."
    Source: BBC

In all honesty, Europe continues to baffle and puzzle me.
    sigpic

Look out ,im gonna :puck: how dya think we feel Minky , we have to swallow this bollox

Comment

Hey, at least you get rid of that Jordanian hate-preacher.

What was that Theresa May said about UK and the Convention?
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Forget 'life term' terminology...give them 99 years. Parole hearing in the 98th year. Or just tell the Euro Courts to mind their own business.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          Forget 'life term' terminology...give them 99 years. Parole hearing in the 98th year. Or just tell the Euro Courts to mind their own business.

You can also try with "Till Death Do..." ;)

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
            In all honesty, Europe continues to baffle and puzzle me.
            I could say that about the UK. And both Grayling's and Blunkett's quotes in the article reaffirm me in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
              I could say that about the UK. And both Grayling's and Blunkett's quotes in the article reaffirm me in that position.
              For the life sentence or for the attitude towards accepted obligations?

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                Hey, at least you get rid of that Jordanian hate-preacher.

What was that Theresa May said about UK and the Convention?
                Yup , 10 years of benefits too late and 1.8 million in legal fees ( legal aid of course ) next his family .

What human rights were the victims given ,,fuck all thats what , thats what makes the human rights laws pure bollox , unless of course your name is b,liar
                Last edited by tankie; 15 Jul 13,, 19:03.

Comment

Working...
                X