UK pulling out of EU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former French PM had enough as well:

A French message to Britain: get out of Europe before you wreck it | Michel Rocard | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Comments are priceless. Especially the one quoting "Yes Mr. PM"
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• It would be a big mistake economically and politically for the brits to exit the EU. Also a mistake for them to cause so many problems within it as well. They would not get a free trade deal with the US unless it was on US terms and to detriment of UK companies. That's how US works its FTAs. Would be no point in it trying to form a Commonwealth trade bloc because we were all stung in 1972 when it went EEC. Now we have our trade focused elsewhere. So IMHO the poms (brits) have to suck it in, harden up and go with the EU economically and politically. They have nowhere else to go.

Comment

• Cameron's political options are limited- much of the Tory base of older/retired voters is deeply distrustful of the EU and the perceived loss of political sovereignty implicit in membership i.e. controversies over immigration and overarching human rights legislation, among other things. The lack of room for fiscal manoeuvre in a tightened EU integration scenario alone could set up events leading to a pull-out in the long run.

Britain has traditionally been economically and culturally distinct from Europe, and we have developing trade links with emerging powerhouses like India, which have the potential to grow exponentially. Britain does have options as interactions with the BRICs and other key markets increase. The option of leaving is there, but I would much prefer renegotiation for greater autonomy.

Comment

• What greater autonomy? The UK has already opted out of pretty much everything but the core treaties, and even most of those the UK has cancelled or never joined.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duellist View Post
            Cameron's political options are limited- much of the Tory base of older/retired voters is deeply distrustful of the EU and the perceived loss of political sovereignty implicit in membership i.e. controversies over immigration and overarching human rights legislation, among other things. The lack of room for fiscal manoeuvre in a tightened EU integration scenario alone could set up events leading to a pull-out in the long run.

Britain has traditionally been economically and culturally distinct from Europe, and we have developing trade links with emerging powerhouses like India, which have the potential to grow exponentially. Britain does have options as interactions with the BRICs and other key markets increase. The option of leaving is there, but I would much prefer renegotiation for greater autonomy.
            Bet Mr Farage isnt on your xmas card list then ;) hes on mine .

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
              What greater autonomy? The UK has already opted out of pretty much everything but the core treaties, and even most of those the UK has cancelled or never joined.
              As opposed to the Euro federalist model of Mr Juncker, who seems set to become EU President.

Tankie,

UKIP is not my cup of tea, no. Single issue parties like that don't impact national discourse beyond a certain level, as evidenced by the Newark by-election. If Mr Farage clears out the fringe elements e.g. ex -BNP supporters he can impact the 2017 referendum in a positive way for his cause. Personally I am Euro-agnostic, like many Tories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duellist View Post
                If Mr Farage clears out the fringe elements e.g. ex -BNP supporters he can impact the 2017 referendum in a positive way for his cause. Personally I am Euro-agnostic, like many Tories.
                You appear to ignore or to be ignorant of UKIP rules. UKIP is the only British Party which denies membership to any former BNP members. If you were once a BNP member you can join the LibLabCon no problem - stand for local Councils no problem - Parliament even... Not so with UKIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                  You appear to ignore or to be ignorant of UKIP rules. UKIP is the only British Party which denies membership to any former BNP members. If you were once a BNP member you can join the LibLabCon no problem - stand for local Councils no problem - Parliament even... Not so with UKIP.
                  Ah, thank you for informing me of that. All the same, my observations of the party's campaign style - witness the stance on Eastern European immigration, for example - and support demographics suggest there is some overlap between some of the UKIP base and BNP's base. Note I used the term supporters, not members.

As a party, UKIP has done reasonably well due to its' ability to tap popular discontent..the definition of a protest vote party. However there is a reason why the General Election will revolve around LibLabCon once again- they are the establishment forces with understanding of policy issues beyond just Europe.

Comment

• So, as of two hours ago, Juncker's in. Cameron had the grand support of exactly the Hungarian nationalist-conservative/neo-liberal government in a 26-2 vote.

When will we be rid of the island?

Comment

So, as of two hours ago, Juncker's in. Cameron had the grand support of exactly the Hungarian nationalist-conservative/neo-liberal government in a 26-2 vote.

With camorons spin , you wont be , but for me , the sooner the better . There again , you can always try another war to get rid .

Personally i would like to keep the 60 mill per day we taxpayers pay to stay in a corrupt organisation and take care of our own indigenous island populace . And bollox to Merkel and the rest of the EU .

But there again , the last vote on the EU was a bit of a wake up call for the powers was it not

UKIP .
                      Last edited by tankie; 27 Jun 14,, 19:25.

Comment

It is good to find ones 'partners' so inclined to agree.

Comment

• 10 Myths | Better Off Out

This is damn funny. Some real gems in there.

The funniest one not being that Britain's 72 MEPs are a minority within a 734-seat parliament (gasp!), or that the Commonwealth apparently still means anything (what is this, the 1940s?) but the part where they claim - and repeat ad nauseam - that Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty would require the EU to negotiate a Free Trade Treaty with the UK upon exit and that this would be fastest if we just left the zero-tariff rules in place as they are (it doesn't, and you better be sure we'll give you about as favourable conditions for your post-EU status as say... Russia).

Comment

you better be sure we'll give you about as favourable conditions for your post-EU status as say... Russia.
                            So business as normal then?

Comment

• The trade in both directions seems to shrink. There lies the problem, but it wont be solved with leaving or staying in EU.

Oh, and if Scotland leaves UK for the very same reason, guys in City will be furious. Just saying.
                              Attached Files
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• And today , Adolfine Merkel has stated she is ready to address the UKs concerns , oh thank you , thank you ,:wors::wors: and just who the fuck do you think you are merkel , the sooner we are out of this xenophobic ( hey kato ) corrupt shower the better , however with camoron and his party of selfservatives the spineless twat who wont listen to the voices of the people and keep his promise to leave if junkers got the gig , will spin it to look in our favour to stay so he doesnt look the loser and wanker he is , OUT OUT OUT , keep your land borders , this island should rebuild our navy n keep our borders , borders , and respect kato's wishes .

UKIP .

Comment

Working...
                                X