Julian Assange - Extradition or Asylum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain 'will not enter Ecuador embassy to seize Assange'

Extradition stand-off eases as Ecuador's president reveals Foreign Office has retracted threat to storm embassy

Britain has withdrawn a threat to enter Ecuador's embassy in London to arrest WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange who has taken refuge there, President Rafael Correa said on Saturday, taking some of the heat out of the diplomatic standoff.

"We consider this unfortunate incident over, after a grave diplomatic error by the British in which they said they would enter our embassy," Correa said in a weekly media address.

In a statement, Ecuador's government said it had received "a communication from the British Foreign Office which said that there was no threat to enter the embassy".

Ecuador was furious after the British government warned that it might try to seize Assange, who has been holed up in the building for more than two months. The the former computer hacker is trying to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning over rape and sexual assault allegations.

Ecuador, which has granted Assange asylum, demanded that Britain's threat be retracted. The latest move should improve relations between Quito and London and allow more talks on Assange's fate to take place.

For now, however, Assange remains trapped in the embassy with British police waiting outside. Britain has said it is determined to fulfil a legal obligation to send him to Sweden.

The Washington-based Organisation of American States had condemned Britain's threat, and South American foreign ministers strongly backed Correa's position that Britain's warning was unacceptable and could set a dangerous precedent.

Correa says he shares Assange's fears that if handed over to Sweden, he could then be extradited to the United States to face charges over WikiLeaks' 2010 publication of secret US cables.

US and European government sources say the United States has issued no criminal charges against Assange and has launched no attempt to extradite him.

Ecuador's government says it never intended to prevent Assange from facing justice in Sweden. It has said that if he received written guarantees from Britain and Sweden that he would not be extradited to any third country, then Assange would hand himself over to the Swedish authorities.

Assange spoke from the embassy's balcony last weekend, denouncing what he called a "witch-hunt" by the United States against him and WikiLeaks.
    Britain has withdrawn threat to enter Ecuador's embassy, says Rafael Correa - video | World news | guardian.co.uk

Britain has withdrawn threat to enter Ecuador's embassy, says Rafael Correa - video | World news | guardian.co.uk
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

So...this lecherous Aussie will surrender his freedom for a guarantee from the Swedes and the perfidious Brits?

Hmmm...perhaps both nations do so and then the Brits (being perfidious) renege before extradtion and Assange instead finds himself renditioned to some sordid place unknown.

We can only hope.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
        So...this lecherous Aussie will surrender his freedom for a guarantee from the Swedes and the perfidious Brits?

Hmmm...perhaps both nations do so and then the Brits (being perfidious) renege before extradtion and Assange instead finds himself renditioned to some sordid place unknown.

We can only hope.
        I always knew Sweden was up there with Syria and North Korea when it came to the abuse of human rights, now I can add England to the list as well. I shall write a stern letter of protest to the UN immediately.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

I am curious...

Could all this charade have been avoided if Sweden sent a team to question Assange?

After all, there are still no charges over JA in Sweden, and this is what Swedes ask for.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Perfidious brits , hmmmm yup thats our govt for ya ,

Comment

Can GB tap the internet flowing into the Ecuadorean embassy? Probably not, but I'd like to picture this toad trapped in there with nothing, absolutely nothing to do. Or... cut the line. And install 3G and 4G jammers around the building. No internet, he loses his reason for being.

Let him hang out there. He'll slowly go nuts, and eventually ask to be sent to Sweden just for a change of scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                Can GB tap the internet flowing into the Ecuadorean embassy?

Comment

Internet Access Is a Human Right, right?

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                    I would be interested to know what you think the Brits have done to warrant being labelled as perfidious?

Comment

• Sweden can't waive extradition to the US unless it want to abrogate it extradition treaty with the US. Ditto the UK. Assange has a choice: roll the dice and go to Sweden for questioning and hope the US does not request extradition, or stay in the Ecuadorian embassy for life. Of course, there's always the possibility he will be charged for rape in Sweden, stand trial and do some time there. Should that happen the media will refer to him as, "convicted rapist Julian Assange"... I've always suspected his real goal is to get Sweden to drop its pursuit of him.
                      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by mog View Post
                        I would be interested to know what you think the Brits have done to warrant being labelled as perfidious?
                        Warm beer? Boiled beef? Scotsmen wearing no undies? Simon Cowell? Susan Boyle? Tankie? Morris dancing? I could go on all day.
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                          Warm beer? Boiled beef? Scotsmen wearing no undies? Simon Cowell? Susan Boyle? Tankie? Morris dancing? I could go on all day.
                          ...not massively convinced.

Comment

Ah ok. As a government, invasion, looting, mass genocide, constant state of war for damn near 1000 years?
                            Last edited by Parihaka; 03 Sep 12,, 04:58.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post

Originally posted by mog View Post

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                              Ah ok. As a government, invasion, looting, mass genocide, constant state of war for damn near 1000 years?
                              Well...yeah all those are very good reason but I'll go with tankie too.....

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                                Well...yeah all those are very good reason but I'll go with tankie too.....
                                Too true, too true. Any grown man who rides a tricycle........

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                                X