Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popillol
    replied
    I have a question regarding current testing of canistered versions.

Since canistered version is made so that it could hide well and escape attacks on it and maintain nuclear deterrent, will India mate the nuclear warheads with this mobile missiles? Because I had read that neither India nor Pakistan have ever mated their nuclear warheads with missiles?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was thinking counter-measures, not probability. The very fact that India states that two sites can be protected automatically raises the question how to deal with the counter-measures.

As for how to counter this fallibility, for one, I would shut the hell up.

Leave a comment:

• DarthSiddius
    replied
    Sir,

Understood, but isn't such a scenario improbable given the current "environment" in South Asia, with the likelihood of any conflict being limited (border war?) in nature?

If not then how would you counter this fallibility? I guess by deploying more "eyes"? :whome:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
    Do we have a potential enemy capable of the required level of precision? Pak, China? (How likely?)
    China right now have the conventional missile numbers and the precision to do this but they're facing Taiwan at the moment and more likely would goto North Korea next. I don't think Pakistan have anywhere near the numbers to do this. However, let's be clear about this. We're talking soft kills, not hard kills. Incoming missiles spreading clouds of chaft in front of the radars would effectively blind this system long enough for other missiles to goto their targets.

Leave a comment:

• DarthSiddius
    replied
    Do we have a potential enemy capable of the required level of precision? Pak, China? (How likely?)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    He said the shield, as part of phase one of the programme, can be put in place at two places in the country, where the infrastructure is available.
    You've just told a potential enemy what to hit to neutralize this shield.

Leave a comment:

• DarthSiddius
    replied
    I'm guessing it wasn't used during the 1990 gulf war? :P

Leave a comment:

• xinhui
    replied
    U.S. Patriot 3 system, which was successfully used during the 1990 Gulf War against Iraq.
    :red::red::red:

Leave a comment:

• DarthSiddius
    replied
    Slightly OT but still relevent?

India has developed a missile defence shield, which can be put in place at short notice to protect at least two cities, bringing the country on a par with an elite group of nations.
    India has developed a missile defence shield, which can be put in place at short notice to protect at least two cities, bringing the country on a par with an elite group of nations. The shield, developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), has been tested successfully and an incoming ballistic missile with the range of up to 2,000 km can be destroyed. The system is to be upgraded to the range of 5,000 km by 2016. “The ballistic missile defence (BMD) shield is now mature...We are ready to put phase one in place and it can be put in very short time,” DRDO chief V.K. Saraswat told PTI here in an interview.

He said the shield, as part of phase one of the programme, can be put in place at two places in the country, where the infrastructure is available.

However, the two places have not yet been identified and the selection will be made at the political level.

The DRDO used variants of Prithvi missiles as simulated targets and successfully intercepted missiles in test-firings.

“We have carried out six successful launches and demonstrated the capability for 2,000 km targets...We have demonstrated it in two layers that is endo-atmospheric [inside the earth's atmosphere] and exo-atmospheric [outside the earth's atmosphere],” Mr. Saraswat said.

All the elements, such as long-range radars and tracking devices, real-time data link and mission control system required for the missile system had been “realised” successfully.

Under the phase two, the premier defence research agency would upgrade the system to handle ballistic missiles with range of 5,000 km. This phase is expected to be ready by 2016.

The system required for phase-II “is being developed,” he said adding that for this purpose, ships were being built from where the target missiles would be launched.

Talking about the advancement of the system, he said the missile defence shield has been “automated” to an extent where human intervention would be required only if the mission has to be aborted. The DRDO chief said the missile defence system is comparable with the U.S. Patriot 3 system, which was successfully used during the 1990 Gulf War against Iraq.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    Found this a while ago on reddit, rather interesting! Prithvi Air Defence (PAD)
    Following starts from the portion where missile is intercepted.
    Point where missile is destroyed

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Native View Post
    At face value I find this hard to swallow. If you we were in the mindset of "the Russians are going to launch!", we receive indicators and get multiple slow walker hits leading us to believe the shit is inbound. You are saying, we would wait to impact?
    At least one third of the submarine launched ballistic missiles would survive, not matter how successful a first strike is.
    even one Lafayette class boomer packs 160-224 nuclear warheads that could be targeted independently.

with 14 boomers surviving that translates into 2800 nukes available for retaliation.

Leave a comment:

• n21
    replied
    Originally posted by xinhui View Post
    If the PLA would put up such a sign, the media will have a field day.
    LOL

No flame intended, just for fun. I also don't see a way, talks of lots from both sides, not much walks.
    That board was probably put up by IA's BRO.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Tronic View Post
    India already has an ABM system; it is currently in its second phase of development. Phase 1 was first tested back in 2006, and is slated to be deployed around the country.
    You did notice that 2AF is expanding their cruise missile batteries. In the end, an arms race is about who can outspend whom and currently, it is the Chinese who have money.

But to answer your point, China is not going to nuke India and vice versa. To do so would invite nuclear strikes from the main two nuke powers and neither could afford that.

Originally posted by commander View Post
    New Delhi could have anti-missile shield by 2014

According to a new Pentagon report on China’s military, Beijing has paid India a sort of compliment. The People’s Liberation Army now targets India with its best and latest nuclear-tipped missiles, the solid-fuel Dongfeng-21 (NATO designation: CSS-5) medium range ballistic missile (IRBM), tipped with a 250-kiloton nuclear warhead that would flatten a large part of Delhi. Until now, India had been considered deserving only of China’s oldest and most decrepit missile, the primitive, liquid-fuelled Dongfeng-3 (NATO designation CSS-2).
    I stopped reading after this paragraph. This is a bullshit lead which means I have zero confidence in the accuracy of the rest.

Originally posted by Native View Post
    At face value I find this hard to swallow. If you we were in the mindset of "the Russians are going to launch!", we receive indicators and get multiple slow walker hits leading us to believe the shit is inbound. You are saying, we would wait to impact?
    As I stated, real life history of false alarms left both sides with no choice but this doctrine. The closest it came was a false alarm was sent all the way up the chain to SECSTATE Baker when the countermand came through. Had SECSTATE Baker chose to push for a decision, POTUS Jimmy Carter and 90 seconds to decide to launch.

That's way too small a window for Launch-On-Warning

Leave a comment:

• Double Edge
    replied
    LOL
    Yep, they already had a field day with just this

No flame intended, just for fun.
    Nice find

I also don't see a way, talks of lots from both sides, not much walks.
    Status quo is easiest.

Leave a comment:

• xinhui
    replied
    Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    Why ?

New Delhi has no plans to march to Islamabad or Beijing and neither does Beijing plan to march to New Delhi.

When the deterrents of the three countries are adequate, use of nukes will not arise. Arguably, that is the whole point. To deter a nuclear war.

However, conventional tips are possible and relatively more likely than nuclear tips.
    LOL

No flame intended, just for fun. I also don't see a way, talks of lots from both sides, not much walks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by xinhui; 20 Apr 12,, 20:58.

Leave a comment:

• Native
    replied
    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Let's cross that road when it is built.

We've discussed this before. This is a myth that even I once subscribed to. There is no such thing as launch on warning. It has always been launch on impact, even with the superpowers. Too many false alarms on both sides to allow anything else.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X