Argentina collapsing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    Wont deny the other birds (assuming there will be some left) from operating.
    What "other birds"? The FAA is so short of operational aircraft, any loss would be a disaster. Not to mention the loss of a lot of support equipment...

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
      What "other birds"? The FAA is so short of operational aircraft, any loss would be a disaster. Not to mention the loss of a lot of support equipment...
      I would love to know what the predicted lifespan of some of those aircraft are under wartime conditions. I'm not talking about getting shot down (which I suspect many of them would be) but just flying combat missions. How long until they start breaking down? My bet is that within a few days Argentina will find itself with not a lot in those hangars ready to wheel out one way or another.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
        I would love to know what the predicted lifespan of some of those aircraft are under wartime conditions. I'm not talking about getting shot down (which I suspect many of them would be) but just flying combat missions. How long until they start breaking down? My bet is that within a few days Argentina will find itself with not a lot in those hangars ready to wheel out one way or another.
        Let's look from another perspective, how this will affect the UK economy?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
          Does the Tomahawk have cratering munitions? Can't find any mention, just the BGM-109D with bomblets...

I'm guessing 2-3 Tomahwaks on the hangars would send a clear message...
          This is where Echelon comes in. About 150 miles from where I sit is US Army Ft. Huachuca. It was originally a US Cavalry post when their job was to find and kill Apache Indians. Now it's pure Army Intelligence, and more importantly, one major NSA hub for listening to all things Latin American. They, and the UK's sites elsewhere would have to narrow down the command and control nodes associated with the Argentine Air Force and Argentine Naval Air. I'm sure that's been done ad nauseam over the years so it's nothing exotic. Would we cooperate in that way? Sure, it's in the treaty that binds the Anglosphere together. Anyway, you take out those nodes first. Then you have to take a much better look at that photo. Download it into something like picture viewer and you'll see what I mean. The hangars aren't the thing. There are hardened revetments there for hiding aircraft all over the place. Yeah, so can you destroy all of those? I don't think so. The US could, but the UK is much more cost conscious than we are. So you do use the BGM-109Ds if you have them, and I honestly don't know if the UK has them, on the runways; that will keep people busy cleaning up. Again, we could clean it up, but could they? I honestly don't know but I'm betting not. They make a real mess and one that makes people faint of heart when told to clean it up. A couple each will do the job, as you can fly a TLAM right down the axis of those runways dispensing those bomblets all over the place, and you might follow up with air strikes from Queen Elizabeth (I'm imagining this in the future obviously), if you think you need to. Now, if one is real hard-hearted, and I am, and doesn't mind being bashed in the world press, you find out where the air crews sleep, eat, and hang out. I think you can figure out the rest. You shoot the archer, and not the arrow. It's always the best way to solve the problem of a manned air threat. That's one way I'd do it. There are other considerations, but none of us has all day to cover strike ops planning.
          Last edited by desertswo; 18 Dec 13,, 16:34.

Comment

It seems quite a few of the Argentinian airbases are near the coast. I think some of you will guess where I'm going with this...

Attached Files

Comment

Looking at RN current assets...

How you gonna do that Gunny?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Talk to "rent-a-boat"

Assuming the runway is still intact, the UK would have a choice of Tornados from the Falklands, or Tomahawks...

Comment

Oh yeah.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Boat View Post
                    [ATTACH]34799[/ATTACH]

Oh yeah.
                    Decommissioned for 1/2 a century. Can she get in range on her own?

Comment

Decommissioned for 1/2 a century. Can she get in range on her own?
                      Couple of tankers worth of WD40 and she'll be good as new!

Comment

Let's look from another perspective, how this will affect the UK economy?
                        Dramatically less than the Argentinean one. Britain actually has an economy, Argentina is on the brink of chaos in peacetime.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          Dramatically less than the Argentinean one. Britain actually has an economy, Argentina is on the brink of chaos in peacetime.
                          I was not trying to make a comparison, we all know it will end very, very badly for the Argies, I wanted to focus solely on the UK side.

Comment

I was not trying to make a comparison, we all know it will end very, very badly for the Argies, I wanted to focus solely on the UK side.
                            My bet is that any war in the foreseeable future would be pretty short, so that might not be all that costly. The wild card is the reaction of the rest of Latin America. There may be sanctions or trade restrictions on the UK. That might hurt more than the actual war.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, the Argentinians are in a difficult economic situation indeed. I don't think they would risk a new war under those circumstances. Which is a blessing for the British Navy, whose past grandeur is now almost a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by ehcross View Post
                                Well, the Argentinians are in a difficult economic situation indeed. I don't think they would risk a new war under those circumstances. Which is a blessing for the British Navy, whose past grandeur is now almost a joke.
                                Compared to the Argentinean navy it might as well be the USN circa 1945. Read up thread where I discussed the capabilities of the Argentinean navy right now. The RN could gut it in a very short time if it were foolish enough to leave port. The RN may be a shadow of past capablilties, but it is plenty powerful enough to win any war Argentina can bring any time soon.

Given Argentina's economic problems I don't see a massive program of military spending in its future. If you want the reason why there won't be a war, don't look at the economy, look at the military that would be tasked to fight the war.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X