Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAD_333
    replied
    "So you think that money is the root of all evil?" said Francisco d'Anconia.
    Been a long time since I read any Ayn Rand. Back then it appealed to a hunger for reason.

Of course, Rand is right about money's utility in commerce. But unfortunately her entire exposition is based on an erroneous reading of the saying "money is the root of all evil".

It should read: "The love of money is the root of all evil. And according to Wiki the original saying in its Greek form, which is attributed to Jesus, is "The love of money is the root of all sorts of evil." Pretty hard to argue against that.

Leave a comment:

• USSWisconsin
    replied
    Originally Posted by 2DREZQ
    Lately I've been searching the Google Books digitized library (May God bless them for it!) and downloading "early" Christian Apocalyptic books. Apparently Jesus came back around 1654, and nobody noticed.

I managed to read through this, inspite of the middle english - almost like a code. My impression is the author was using earlier writings (primarily the Bible) to calculate the time of the second coming of Christ, which he predicted around 1656 (pg 328), a couple years after the publication of his book. It is very well done for the time I was impressed by the clarity of the arguments and orgainization, including tables and references. The Gutenberg type and ownership plaque in the front of the book added to the experience.
    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 04 Nov 10,, 01:11.

Leave a comment:

• astralis
    replied
    it'd be good for students if they read Ayn Rand and Karl Marx side by side, with an illustration of the society each lived in.

what each get wrong is that money is neither inherently good or evil, it just -is-. it's a tool, or more accurately, it's merely distilled energy. i suspect each of them realized this in their hearts of hearts, but liked to use the terminology of good and evil the way we tend to do today-- to shut down debate.

Leave a comment:

• USSWisconsin
    replied
    Originally posted by 2DREZQ View Post
    Knowledge of the times pub.1654

just getting into it now.
    Thank You

Leave a comment:

• 2DREZQ
    replied
    Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
    2DREZQ
    I'd love to read about that, can you give me the links to or names of those books? (I am not questioning your statement, I just want to know more about them). I agree, Google books, and project Gutenburg are wonderful, I have many of their books in my virtual library
    Knowledge of the times pub.1654

just getting into it now.

Leave a comment:

• Blademaster
    replied
    Fountainhead is much more enjoyable as a novel and witnessing the struggle of a honest and uncompromising man against the world eager to make compromises. Most of the characters are not so one dimensional. In fact, the only one dimensional characters are the protagonist, the architect, and to a lesser extent, the antagonist, the editorial columnist. The most complicated character was the industrialist who strive to make it big. There were some themes that I disagree as such as the architect telling his former friend, another architect who rode on the coattails of him, that it was too late to change. It is never too late to change till the day you die.

Leave a comment:

• USSWisconsin
    replied
    Lately I've been searching the Google Books digitized library (May God bless them for it!) and downloading "early" Christian Apocalyptic books. Apparently Jesus came back around 1654, and nobody noticed.
    2DREZQ
    I'd love to read about that, can you give me the links to or names of those books? (I am not questioning your statement, I just want to know more about them). I agree, Google books, and project Gutenburg are wonderful, I have many of their books in my virtual library
    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 31 Oct 10,, 21:18.

Leave a comment:

• Bigfella
    replied
    Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
    Ah. Mebbe I need my snark-o-meter recalibrated. I find most German intellectual writing to be extremely hard going, actually.
    More joke than snark (but I can be a subtle bastard ;)). If it makes you feel any better pretty much everybody finds German intellectual writing hard going - Germans included.

Back in the late 80s I was a student at one of the large universities in Australia. it had a large & pretty well credentialled Pol Sci faculty, but they actually had to hire in a guy who was an expert on 'Critical Theory' (Frankfurt School) because no one else on staff (well...maybe one other guy) had an in depth understanding. Doesn't leave much hope for the rest of us.

Leave a comment:

• Bigfella
    replied
    How awkward. Guess that throws a spanner in the works for Christianity...especially the 'end times' folk.

Leave a comment:

• ArmchairGeneral
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    AG,

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek, but not as firmly as I wished it was. There is certainly a long & wide streak of unreadability in German philosophy, but not everyone was guilty.
    Ah. Mebbe I need my snark-o-meter recalibrated. I find most German intellectual writing to be extremely hard going, actually.

Leave a comment:

• 2DREZQ
    replied
    Got maybe 10 pages in to that one. Then glanced at about every 20th page, and determined that it was unreadable. This was before I realized I am incapable of reading through any sort of utopian novel. OTOH, I am a total sucker for dystopian books.
    What this says about my personality, I'm not sure. Maybe I should switch back to my old Dalrymple apocalyptic thought sig again.

I would like to make an attempt on Das Kapital. I've heard Marx actually shows some understanding of economics- distorted, but more insightful than most contemporaries.
    VERY dense read. Some of it actually did make sense to me at the time, But I didn't have even a basic grasp on econ. back then. Our schools, IMHO, don't do well at teaching that.

Leave a comment:

• Double Edge
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    If you feel the need, fing a nice summary with plenty of quotes & have the actual book next to you to dip into & see if you agree with the summary.
    That's why i recommended David Harvey's course in the 'Reading Marx' thread. Just the audio files alone are interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Bigfella
    replied
    Interesting. Is Nietzsche a part of that? Though I've found portions of Nietzsche quite readable.
    AG,

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek, but not as firmly as I wished it was. There is certainly a long & wide streak of unreadability in German philosophy, but not everyone was guilty.

Leave a comment:

• zraver
    replied
    Interesting. Is Nietzsche a part of that? Though I've found portions of Nietzsche quite readable.
    Quite readable and often taken out of context.

Leave a comment:

• Crocodylus
    replied
    D'oh!

Money in a bank account is freely circulating. That's the beauty of fractional reserve banking. Not that billionaires actually have billions of dollars, in banks or otherwise. They have assets worth billions of dollars.
    Sorry for not having included that

I was referring to someone who keeps their money in a bank and does not want to spend it for fear of not having any money later. Doesn't have to be a multi-billionaire as in the example. Some of the most miserly spenders have not more than a few dozen or hundred $ in their accounts at any one time.

Assets being worth X amount of money is something else. I guess this is like ice vs. water. Ice is just water in solid form; to get some water, jut break off a piece of ice and let it melt. In the same way, an asset, such as farmland or gold bullion, is just a "solid" store of value that can be converted, in whole or in part, into a more fluid store of value known as money - whether it be paper money or gold coins. (I often hear of money being referred to as a "liquid asset". I guess this is just what is meant by that.)

Up until recently I was looking for a job and chasing money left and right, only to fail miserably and be saved by Food Stamps. So lately I have been looking into keeping "solid" assets that can be converted later on into "liquid" assets (i.e., money) as needed. Had I thought of this back in high school, I would not be as poor as I am now

It's nice to live on welfare, but I do have a responsibility to serve my country - as a taxpayer/consumer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X