• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Germany Is Helping Pull Europe out of Recession

Friday, Aug. 13, 2010
    How Germany Is Helping Pull Europe out of Recession
    By William Boston / Berlin

Export-Heavy Germany's Resurgence Helping Euro Zone -- Printout -- TIME

Only a few weeks ago, wherever you went in Europe, you heard the same complaint: Germany's obsession with fiscal austerity and its reluctance to throw a lifeline to ailing euro-zone members was going to pull Europe back into recession.

But the naysayers have been proved wrong. Call it Germany's new economic miracle: official data released by European Union statistics agency Eurostat on Friday, Aug. 13, show that growth in the euro zone is chugging along at its fastest clip since 2006. And at the front of the European train is a German engine charging out of recession. Europe's largest economy accounted for about two-thirds of euro-zone GDP in the second quarter and is growing twice as fast as the rest of the bloc. (See the best business deals of 2009.)

Germany's economy, boosted by surging orders for its world-class machines, automobiles and other manufacturing products, expanded 2.2% in the second quarter over the previous quarter, pulling along behind it the rest of the euro zone, which posted growth of 1% in the same period. The German economy is now growing at its fastest rate since unification in 1990. "We shouldn't put Germany and the euro zone in the same boat," says Jörg Krämer, chief economist at Commerzbank AG. "Without Germany, the euro zone would only grow about 0.8% this year, but we expect growth in the euro zone as a whole of 1.5%."

Speaking to Bloomberg, Andreas Scheuerle, an economist at Dekabank in Frankfurt, said that at this rate, Germany is looking a lot like an emerging-market economy on par with countries such as China and India. Scheuerle estimates that Germany's economy grew 9% in the second quarter in annualized terms — after contracting 4.7% last year. Economists are encouraged by the nation's strong performance; in a report following the release of Friday's data, Krämer raised his German growth forecast for the full year from 2.5% to 3.25%. (See pictures of the dangers of printing money in Germany.)

It would be easy to explain the revival of the German economic motor as the effect of a 10% drop in the value of the euro against the dollar this year, but that's only part of the story. Germany's advances, especially over the past decade, are the product of restructuring, productivity gains and wage restraint to push down costs. At the same time, German companies, especially the midsize companies that make up the "Mittelstand" — the backbone of the German economy — are investing more in R&D than many of their rivals, meaning they often manufacture products that no one else can, giving Germany an edge even when its products are more expensive.

Fifty years ago, Germany's famous "economic miracle" helped it rise from the ashes of World War II. Realizing that the market was too weak to support rapid growth, West Germany focused on manufacturing for export. In 1960, the country's share of global trade was about 8.8%, while the U.S. share had fallen to 16%, down from 20% in 1949; by 1990, a unified Germany had overtaken the U.S. as the leading export nation. As German companies — from electrical-engineering giant Siemens AG to smaller companies like lasermaker Trumpf AG — increasingly targeted global markets, exports as a part of Germany's total output rose sharply. In 1991, manufacturing exports accounted for 22.4% of GDP. By 2008, Germany was exporting $1.4 trillion worth of manufacturing goods, and manufacturing exports comprised a full 41% of GDP. (Comment on this story.)

Now exports are helping pull Germany out of the Great Recession, as strong demand from Asia fills the order books of the nation's companies after a historic drop of 14.2% last year. Once considered the sick man of Europe, Germany has made more gains over the past decade to improve industry competitiveness than any of its major trading partners. In real terms, total compensation per German employee fell 0.5% from 2000 to 2008, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Among other G-7 countries, only Italy saw a fall in compensation in that same period, while in all of the others, employee compensation rose. The upshot: since 2000, Germany's share of global trade has grown 8.94%, while the U.S. has lost nearly 13%, the U.K. has shed 14%, and France's share has plunged 23%.

Germany's competitiveness is perhaps the most important driver behind the country's furious recovery from the crisis. Friday's data show that as the global economy begins to improve and demand returns, other European countries are not benefiting to the same extent as Germany. The French economy grew an anemic 0.6% in the second quarter, while Spain's economy is limping along with growth of 0.2%. Greece, bailed out by the E.U. and the International Monetary Fund in May, saw its economy contract 1.5%. (See pictures of riots in Greece.)

But analysts warn that the German locomotive could quickly run out of steam. Right now, Germany's growth relies entirely on exports; domestic demand, both private consumption and public spending, are still too weak to stimulate the broader economy. In its most recent report on Germany, the OECD predicts that consumer spending will fall 1.4% this year. And the push to cut public spending will further slow down economic growth. Soon, exports may not be enough to keep Germany's economy going strong. "The German recovery will weaken as global demand slows and its own fiscal consolidation begins next year," says Jennifer McKeown, an economist at Capital Economics Ltd. in London. (See pictures of the global financial crisis.)

So for now, the German economy is experiencing one of its best years in a long time. But when the German engine cools later this year, the rest of the euro zone could find itself sinking back into recession.

Read more on the E.U. bailout.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
    Friday, Aug. 13, 2010
    How Germany Is Helping Pull Europe out of Recession

Germany's economy, boosted by surging orders for its world-class machines, automobiles and other manufacturing products, expanded 2.2% in the second quarter over the previous quarter, pulling along behind it the rest of the euro zone, which posted growth of 1% in the same period. The German economy is now growing at its fastest rate since unification in 1990. "We shouldn't put Germany and the euro zone in the same boat," says Jörg Krämer, chief economist at Commerzbank AG. "Without Germany, the euro zone would only grow about 0.8% this year, but we expect growth in the euro zone as a whole of 1.5%."
    I guess Europe is pulling Germany out of recession too.

Anyway after my last visit to the supermarket I have made a inventory of the shopping chart:
    most products were MADE IN GERMANY , granted they were mainly foodstuff but still.
    J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
      So for now, the German economy is experiencing one of its best years in a long time. But when the German engine cools later this year, the rest of the euro zone could find itself sinking back into recession.
      There's already some predictions that the engine will not "cool down", and that 2010 might be the best year for the German economy since 1990. However, if one looks at it a bit closer, most of the increase is just getting back the losses from last year. The economic crisis only affected Germany such that its customers got vary of buying during 2009 - they're now back to their old levels. There were a couple measures taken by the government to bridge that gap, and those pay off now.

Comment

Good industrial relations, corporate investment, expansion into new markets, generous and disciplined social spending, keeping a lid on inflation, it all pays off, and much of the rest of the Eurozone have a lot to learn from Germany. Domestic spending is a long-term weakness though, one of the things that tripped Germany into recession was that it invested it's massive surpluses in other country's excesses due to lack of demand at home, and that stung badly when it went bad.

It's an enviable problem though, creating too much money, rather than too little, and certainly Germany is steadying the Euro with every quarter in the black.
        Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
        - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Hopefully this will be the end of the smug eurosceptics towting 'the demise of the euro'.

Now how do we get the Germans to spend all those banked euros?

Comment

Why is it that I always hear "Germany saving EU" or "Germany bailing out Greece?" Where is France? Shouldn't the French contribute something useful to the EU?
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

The French use the EU for its own self interest. They did provide a lot of the 'bazooka bailout' cash, but theyre probably the biggest net recipient through the CAP. Theyre just better at 'playing the brussels game' than others.
              Germany is the Powerhouse, but for some reason France calls the shots.

As for Greece, German banks owned most of the greek debt, so was in their interest really. If it were up to me Id move the whole damn project to Frankfurt and hand over the keys to the Germans. Theyd soon sortus all out.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko View Post
                The French use the EU for its own self interest. They did provide a lot of the 'bazooka bailout' cash, but theyre probably the biggest net recipient through the CAP. Theyre just better at 'playing the brussels game' than others.
                Germany is the Powerhouse, but for some reason France calls the shots.
                That's what I don't understand. Why do Germans let the French push them around? I thought it's the other way around.

Originally posted by Marko View Post
                As for Greece, German banks owned most of the greek debt, so was in their interest really. If it were up to me Id move the whole damn project to Frankfurt and hand over the keys to the Germans. Theyd soon sortus all out.
                I agree with that. Greeks need to learn how to live within their means rather than be generous with other people's money.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  That's what I don't understand. Why do Germans let the French push them around? I thought it's the other way around.

I agree with that. Greeks need to learn how to live within their means rather than be generous with other people's money.
                  Why is germany growing so fast with higher taxes, stronger Unions and more social services
                  Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
                  ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
                    Why is germany growing so fast with higher taxes, stronger Unions and more social services
                    Because of course none of that impedes growth, and often helps it - don't tell the neoliberals though!
                    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
                      Faster than? Higher taxes than? Stronger unions than? More social services than?

Originally posted by crooks View Post
                      Because of course none of that impedes growth, and often helps it - don't tell the neoliberals though!
                      Of course not. That's why the PIGS are doing so well.

Comment

Of course not. That's why the PIGS are doing so well.
                        The PIGS problem isn't social spending, it's bad government. Germany spends roughly the same proportion of public spending as all the basket cases. It's just much better managed with an end goal in sight.
                        - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

The PIGS problem isn't social spending, it's bad government. Germany spends roughly the same proportion of public spending as all the basket cases. It's just much better managed with an end goal in sight.
                          I'll give you that. Germans are renowned for being anal about details and organization. That's why most of my pistols are German, perferably West German. My 2 non-German pistols are Austrian. I figure they are close enough. German, Austrian...they all look the same.

That brings back the point, if only Germans can make this system work sufficiently well, then it's of no use to those people who aren't as organized. And if Germans can make even this system work, what would happen if they didn't have to deal with the inefficiencies of central control and the bureaucracy?

Comment

German taxes - for corporations, and that's what counts regarding economic growth especially outside the domestic market - are rather low *. German unions, when compared to about any other nation with unions, are nearly powerless. And social services are paid mostly through insurance schemes, which don't appear on the federal budget (the government doesn't have any power over this money, which makes it a lot slimmer than those of other countries).

*- total corporate taxes in Germany, depending on the city you're in, range from 22.825% to 33.325% of earnings for incorporated companies.
                            Talking a "relevant" turnover, in the USA it's 33-35% - plus state and municipal taxation. The PIGS states, for comparison, are: Portugal 26.5%, Italy - 31.4%, Greece - 25%, Spain - 35%.

Comment

I'll give you that. Germans are renowned for being anal about details and organization. That's why most of my pistols are German, perferably West German. My 2 non-German pistols are Austrian. I figure they are close enough. German, Austrian...they all look the same.
                              I'm a bit of an Austrophile myself, apparantly the German is somewhat different (like Bavarian, but I only speak French and some Italian so it's all gibberish to me), the tarts are nicer (Viennese Fingers, the Croissant is Austrian as well), and they've a long history of being at each other's throats. Only gun I've ever fired was Austrian though, was more fun than I expected, not enough to make me a gunnut:).

That brings back the point, if only Germans can make this system work sufficiently well, then it's of no use to those people who aren't as organized. And if Germans can make even this system work, what would happen if they didn't have to deal with the inefficiencies of central control and the bureaucracy?
                              Cept it's not just Germany, Europe is full of countries that make social democracy work, everywhere you look there's efficient and effective public sectors, with only France (and maybe Bruxelles) being anything like the above. It's a scary place for right wingers.
                              - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Working...
                              X