The euro: On the brink of crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
    And worth nada. I had to give my grandson 2 from the 'tooth fairy' as a buys zilch these days. I was going to suggest you make some moolah by selling your teeth but what can you buy for 3quid.:))
    You just have to look for stuff on sale. $1 still buys some stuff today. I bought 2 liter bottles of Coke for $0.89 each. I think McDonald's still has the $0.59 Tuesdays where you can get a cheeseburger for $0.59. $3 will get you a 3 piece chicken a la carte from KFC. A grilled cheese bacon burger from Carl's Jr. is $2.49. MMmmmmm....bacon.....with 4 slices of cheese...and meat patty...

Of course the last time I went to the theater it was $12 for a single ticket.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      You just have to look for stuff on sale. $1 still buys some stuff today. I bought 2 liter bottles of Coke for $0.89 each. I think McDonald's still has the $0.59 Tuesdays where you can get a cheeseburger for $0.59. $3 will get you a 3 piece chicken a la carte from KFC. A grilled cheese bacon burger from Carl's Jr. is $2.49. MMmmmmm....bacon.....with 4 slices of cheese...and meat patty...

Thats awesome, a cheeseburger here is $2.50! I'm coming to California, the Aussie dollar near parity with the US at the moment and I could save back my airfares by just living on US takeaway for a month! I'm sure somebody there would want to make a movie about it to let me run the whole venture at a profit ... Super Size Me Down Under perhaps? .... or perhaps that would confuse the punters into thinking that it is a movie from that "other" Californian movie industry.

Anyway, you've made me hungry now so I'm going for a cheeseburger.
      "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiegunner View Post
        Thats awesome, a cheeseburger here is $2.50! I'm coming to California, the Aussie dollar near parity with the US at the moment and I could save back my airfares by just living on US takeaway for a month! I'm sure somebody there would want to make a movie about it to let me run the whole venture at a profit ... Super Size Me Down Under perhaps? .... or perhaps that would confuse the punters into thinking that it is a movie from that "other" Californian movie industry.

Mmmm, cheesburger tastes good. Anyway, where were we ... oh yeah, the Euro is screwed. Carry on.
        "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Beware a national sales-tax (a.k.a. V.A.T.). One-sixth of all we (in the UK) are charged for is assumed to be valued-added and is therefore taxable. A fair chunk goes to the EU - an organisation that is renowned for 'cooking-the-books'!

[PS: I have growing doubts about young Master Obama...! ]

Comment

Originally posted by FluffyThoughts View Post
            Beware a national sales-tax (a.k.a. V.A.T.). One-sixth of all we (in the UK) are charged for is assumed to be valued-added and is therefore taxable. A fair chunk goes to the EU - an organisation that is renowned for 'cooking-the-books'!

[PS: I have growing doubts about young Master Obama...! ]
            I hear it may go to 20%

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiegunner View Post

Same in the UK. I don't eat them but the gkids do and I think the cheapest one is a burger the size and thinness of a beer coaster and taste somewhat similar and cost the equivalent of $1.50.

I was fortunate once to have a burger in Salt Lake City and it was the size of a Brazilian Bird Eating Spider on a safari, plus enough salad and chips(fries) to choke a shark and all for a fraction of the UK price.

Comment

A ticket cost me 7 pounds when I was in England. Needless to say, I was surprised. I'm used to paying 150 rupees (roughly 2 pounds, or $3.5) for a movie, 3D or not.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Same in the UK. I don't eat them but the gkids do and I think the cheapest one is a burger the size and thinness of a beer coaster and taste somewhat similar and cost the equivalent of $1.50.

I was fortunate once to have a burger in Salt Lake City and it was the size of a Brazilian Bird Eating Spider on a safari, plus enough salad and chips(fries) to choke a shark and all for a fraction of the UK price.
                  Joining the morons was you yea and petrol is a quarter the price we pay for a gallon as well

Comment

Working...
                  X