Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France: Oysters can be dangerous

France: Oysters can be dangerous

PARIS, France (Reuters) -- Anxious to show vigilance after being criticized in August for failing to warn the public of an impending heatwave, France's national health watchdog issued a stern warning Tuesday about the dangers of opening oysters.

"Numerous severe accidental injuries take place during the opening of oysters, which are consumed in particularly large quantities during end-year festivities," the INVS watchdog said in a statement.

It said some 2,000 people cut themselves each year while trying to pry open oysters, 800 of them in December or January. Around 20 percent of such accidents require hospital treatment.

"One should, wherever possible, try to prevent such accidents happening, by taking simple precautions," the INVS said.

"Sit yourself down comfortably with an oyster knife and the appropriate know-how, and either use hand protection or get an oyster-seller to open them."

The French slurp down thousands of oysters, many of them farmed off the west coast, over the Christmas and New Year period.

French authorities have taken pains to give the public advance warning of the risks of floods and cold weather, as well as a flu epidemic, after failing to warn of the dangers of an August heatwave that killed 15,000 mainly elderly people.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...eut/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

:lol :lol :D :D

LOL, french demonstrating their insanity as usual.
    Brahma Sarvam Jagan Mithya
    Jivo Brahmaiva Na Aparah

Comment

Re: France: Oysters can be dangerous

They surrendered right? So now shellfish are in charge in France? Just kidding ;)

Originally posted by Ironman
      August heatwave that killed 15,000 mainly elderly people.
      I don't understand this. I've never been to France, but I've been to other places in Europe, and I don't see how this happened. Can anyone explain what I'm missing? Were there power problems? No fans or shade? No watter? I could understand hundreds, maybe even a couple thousand, but 15,000 seems impossible. :-(
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administrationís goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. Itís the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Re: Re: France: Oysters can be dangerous

Originally posted by Confed999
        I could understand hundreds, maybe even a couple thousand, but 15,000 seems impossible. :-(
        Seriously, can anyone explain a tragedy of this magnitude?
        I agree completely with this Administrationís goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. Itís the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

I spent two weeks in the Netherlands from July 16 to August 1.

Western Europe has pretty mild summers compared to the US, MAYBE comparable to the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington).

I think the temperature topped 80 once, that was in Rotterdam.

When it hits over 100 degrees.... well, you know how old people get heat stroke. Have to consider how many old people there are in Western Europe. On top of that, most people probably don't have air conditioners.

They're simply not exposed to that type of weather on a regular basis.

Comment

The worst part is, they didnt have enough fans in their home. Fans all over France were of great demand, and they couldnt control the price surge even after they started importing it from China. Word was that a single fan in peak demand was worth $150.
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

I spent two weeks in the Netherlands from July 16 to August 1.
              Heh, we just missed each other by a couple of weeks. We went to Zandvoort and Amsterdam. Those are our dates for this year though, really, those exact dates. =O

Western Europe has pretty mild summers compared to the US, MAYBE comparable to the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington).
              That's actually my point. We've had those same heat waves here in the states and had 120+ people die, but 15K seems impossible. Maybe it's just me, my family homesteaded Florida, and I've lived here most of my life, so I'm used to being hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                Heh, we just missed each other by a couple of weeks. We went to Zandvoort and Amsterdam. Those are our dates for this year though, really, those exact dates. =O
                I was there in 2000. You also? I was also in Amsterdam, as well as Steenvijk, Vledderveen, Rotterdam.

That's actually my point. We've had those same heat waves here in the states and had 120+ people die, but 15K seems impossible. Maybe it's just me, my family homesteaded Florida, and I've lived here most of my life, so I'm used to being hot.
                I think we're more accustomed to them than they are, and having the stuff needed like air conditioners when it gets hot.

Comment

I was there in 2000. You also? I was also in Amsterdam, as well as Steenvijk, Vledderveen, Rotterdam.
                  Nah, I was there last year. There are a few pics of A'dam at http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/confed999 if you're interested. Sadly, I forgot my camera when we went to the beach at Zandvoort. I was Chinese eyed through most of the trip, so it's no wonder I forgot some stuff. LOL :smoke

Comment

I stood in alot of those exact spots and took almost the exact pictures as you did.

One error you made is that you did not include anything in the foreground when taking pics of the canals. I got that tip from tw-acs's uncle.

You got better pics of the mass of bikes in front of Centraal Station though, lol.

Did you get any pics of the Rijksmuseum? I got a pic of the Van Gogh museum too, not really and outstanding building though. The Magna Plaza was pretty cool too.

Where did you stay, btw? Me and tw-acs stayed at Vliegenbos campsite in North Amsterdam, and Bob's Youth Hostel by the tourist strip south of Centraal Station.

Comment

I know what you mean about the canal pics, try that next time. ;)

I'm getting a bit more pampered in my old age, we stayed at the 5 star Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage/AMSRD . (It's a 3 1/2 star by US standards) Just across the street from Centraal Station. I'm allmost positive I remember Bob's though. ;)

Yes! I did take some pics in the Rijksmuseum, though only one is on the Yahoo site. I could dig them up for you, if you'd like.

Comment

Heh, you stayed in style :).

How old are you, btw? If you're in your 20's you can stay at the youth hostels, it's a pretty good experience, and only $10 a night.

Comment

I'm thirty *cough* four, pushing five, they won't let me in. ;) Doesn't matter, I like to stay where people kiss my butt anyway. :)

Comment

There are a few more "upscale" hostels near Centraal Station, one we stayed at was like $5 more than Bob's, without the major weed smoking and loud music.

tw-acs's dad (like 55-60 yrs old) stayed there, maybe he knows the name.

Comment

Hey, don't get me wrong, I don't mind major weed smoking and loud music (I'll even participate to a degree), but I need an escape. I like my room service, concierge and taxi an awful lot too. My battle cry is, "Hey, I'm on vacation!" for a week or two every year.

Comment

Working...
                              X