Is Tom Delay Finally Gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FSV
    The current Congressioal Ethics Boards suck! The current system seems as tho fellow crooks are the prosecutor, judge, & make up the jury.
    Yeah, and it's why this will likely not go anywhere.
    Originally posted by FSV
    To qualify, individuals must be a Registered Voter and have an annual income of $60,000 or less.
    I don't know what the point of economic descrimination would be, in a random selection.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administrationís goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. Itís the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

The neutrality of the Wiki article is disputed.

Well, let me just shout 'Hallelujah!' to THAT.

I spotted several errors in it. Details tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
        The neutrality of the Wiki article is disputed.
        Nothing is neutral, everything is biased.
        I agree completely with this Administrationís goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. Itís the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
          Nothing is neutral, everything is biased.
          This source is straight-up WRONG about a couple of points.

Comment

I'm certain it is.

Comment

please fix it then.

Comment

AP: Lawmakers Belatedly Disclose Trips

By LARRY MARGASAK
                The Associated Press
                Monday, May 30, 2005; 3:00 PM

WASHINGTON -- Scrutiny of Majority Leader Tom DeLay's travel has led to the belated disclosure of at least 198 previously unreported special interest trips by House members and their aides, including eight years of travel by the second-ranking Democrat, an Associated Press review has found.

At least 43 House members and dozens of aides had failed to meet the one-month deadline in ethics rules for disclosing trips financed by organizations outside the U.S. government.

The AP review of thousands of pages of records covered pre-2005 travel that was disclosed since early March. That's when news stories began scrutinizing DeLay's travel, prompting lawmakers to comb through their files to make sure they had disclosed their travel.

While most of the previously undisclosed trips occurred in 2004, some date back to the late 1990s. House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer recently disclosed 12 trips, the oldest dating back to 1997.

Stacey Bernards, a spokeswoman for the Maryland Democrat, said the office searched the files after the travel issue was raised initially by "Republicans doing opposition research to deflect from their own ethical issues."

Hoyer's undisclosed trips were nearly doubled by Rep. Ellen Tauscher, D-Calif., with 21. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., reported 20 past trips and Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md. reported 13.

Republican and Democratic House members were nearly equal rules violators in failing to disclose their personal trips within 30 days after the trip's completion. There were 23 GOP members, 19 Democrats and 1 independent, all of them months or years late in their reporting to the House public records office.

Staff members for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., disclosed 11 prior trips, while staff members for DeLay, R-Texas, had 4. Rep. John Linder of Georgia, a former chairman of the House Republican campaign organization, belatedly filed 9 trips, as did Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif.

The volume of unreported trips surprised the former chairman of the House ethics committee, Rep. Joel Hefley, R-Colo.

"I didn't realize the extent of the problem," Hefley said.

More...

Comment

FINALLY getting somewhere, on the last day of the Grand Jury investigation. Now let's see if the rest of Abramoff's buddies get indicted....

DeLay Indicted in Campaign Finance Probe

By LARRY MARGASAK
                  The Associated Press
                  Wednesday, September 28, 2005; 1:11 PM

WASHINGTON -- A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, forcing the House majority leader to temporarily relinquish his post.

DeLay attorney Steve Brittain said DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

"I have notified the speaker that I will temporarily step aside from my position as majority leader pursuant to rules of the House Republican Conference and the actions of the Travis County district attorney today," DeLay said.

GOP congressional officials said Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., will recommend that Rep. David Dreier of California step into those duties. Some of the duties may go to the GOP whip, Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri. The Republican rank and file may meet as early as Wednesday night to act on Hastert's recommendation.

The charge carries a potential two-year sentence, which forces DeLay to step down under House Republican rules.

"The defendants entered into an agreement with each other or with TRMPAC (Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Committee) to make a political contribution in violation of the Texas election code," says the four-page indictment. "The contribution was made directly to the Republican National Committee within 60 days of a general election."

The indictment against the second-ranking, and most assertive Republican leader came on the final day of the grand jury's term. It followed earlier indictments of a state political action committee founded by DeLay and three of his political associates.

Kevin Madden, DeLay's spokesman, dismissed the charge as politically motivated.

"This indictment is nothing more than prosecutorial retribution by a partisan Democrat," Madden said, citing prosecutor Ronnie Earle, a Democrat.

"We regret the people of Texas will once again have their taxpayer dollars wasted on Ronnie Earle's pursuit of headlines and political paybacks."

The grand jury action is expected to have immediate consequences in the House, where DeLay is largely responsible for winning passage of the Republican legislative program. House Republican Party rules require leaders who are indicted to temporarily step aside from their leadership posts.

However, DeLay retains his seat representing Texas' 22nd congressional district, suburbs southwest of Houston.

REST OF ARTICLE (Washington Post)

Comment

The real shame is how so many conservatives fought to defend DeLay even when it was pretty clear he had done wrong. Isn't it hypocritical of them to call democrats partisan when they keep defending their own who have broken the law?

It just shows how stubborn and dogmatic people can be. It reminds me of how the church first was adamant about the world being flat, then conceded it wasn't. Now there are still churches that can't accept the truth of evolution in the face of obvious evidence. Its a strange quirk of human nature for people to be so stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
                      The real shame is how so many conservatives fought to defend DeLay even when it was pretty clear he had done wrong. Isn't it hypocritical of them to call democrats partisan when they keep defending their own who have broken the law?

It just shows how stubborn and dogmatic people can be. It reminds me of how the church first was adamant about the world being flat, then conceded it wasn't. Now there are still churches that can't accept the truth of evolution in the face of obvious evidence. Its a strange quirk of human nature for people to be so stubborn.
                      Very well said. :)

Comment

Broken, if they took the all crooks out of congress, there wouldn't be too many from either party left. I take that back, the Dems aren't the crooks, they just represent them.
                        F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig
                          Broken, if they took the all crooks out of congress, there wouldn't be too many from either party left. I take that back, the Dems aren't the crooks, they just represent them.
                          I disagree. There are members of both parties who don't break the laws. Some are even ethical. By tolerating corrupt politicians, one is just perpetuating corruption.

Corrupt Democrats like Traficanti and Rostenkowski were ousted when their dealings were uncovered. Defending Delay with excuses like "the Dems did it when they controlled Congress" is just an excuse. Turning a blind eye just invites more corruption.

Comment

Originally posted by Broken
                            There are members of both parties who don't break the laws. Some are even ethical. By tolerating corrupt politicians, one is just perpetuating corruption.

Corrupt Democrats like Traficanti and Rostenkowski were ousted when their dealings were uncovered. Defending Delay with excuses like "the Dems did it when they controlled Congress" is just an excuse. Turning a blind eye just invites more corruption.
                            I agree

Comment

Ronny Earl is the real scumbag, here. He's doing this for political reasons, as he has THREE TIMES in the recent past.

I'll go on the record AGAIN, and back it up, too.

I'll bet anybody here that Delay is being slimed. He is a victim of dirty tricks. I will put up $20 against all comers that he is not found guilty of this conspiracy charge, that he does not accept a plea bargain, and that he is not censured by the House in any way.

Three ways to win my money, losers, and I win ONLY if NONE of that happens.

I need a mod to hold our postal money orders until this is resolved (which will be after the '06 elections, because THAT is what this is all about).

Alright, sportsmen, line up: who wants the action? Offer expires at midnight, Friday.

Place your bets.

Comment

Ronny Earl is the real scumbag, here. He's doing this for political reasons, as he has THREE TIMES in the recent past.
                                Ronny Earle has won indictments against more Democrats than Republicans, three times as many by some counts. His overall conviction rate is more than 85%.

However, two of his failures to convict have been against politically powerful defendents. Democrat Attorney General Jim Mattox was indicted for bribery and acquited. Republican State Senator Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison was indicted on allegations of using state employees for personal and campaign purposes. Earle then dropped the charges when the judge questioned whether his evidence was admissable. Earle has won convictions against a dozen other politicians, mostly Democrats.

Something else you need to remember, Bluesman: Earle didn't indict Delay, the Grand Jury did.
                                I'll bet anybody here that Delay is being slimed. He is a victim of dirty tricks.
                                Now you are starting to sound like Bill Clinton. Speaking of Clinton, Tom Delay was in the forefront of the Clinton impeachment. What goes around comes around. We didn't hear Tom Delay complaining about the "waste of money" when Ken Starr spent $60 million on Whitewater.

Three Delay aides who ran Delay's ARMPAC and TRMPAC, Ellis, ReBold, and Colyandro, have been indicted for money laundering. Money laundering is a first-degree felony punishable by 5 to 99 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine. Colyandro has also been indicted on 13 charges of unlawful acceptance of a corporate political contribution.

Two of Delay's lobbyist buddies, Abramoff and Scanlon, are also facing multiple indictments. Abromoff was indicted for bank fraud when he and his business partner Kidan ripped off Gus Boulis for $23 million with their purchase of Boulis's SunCruz gambling ships.

Boulis was killed on a Fort Lauderdale street on Feb. 6, 2001. Two of the three men charged had been hired as consultants by Kidan, Abramoff's partner. One of the men, Moscatiello, was paid $145,000 by SunCruz for catering, consulting and "site inspections. Moscatiello was indicted on federal heroin-trafficking charges in 1983 along with Gene Gotti, brother of John Gotti, then head of the Gambino family. Gene Gotti and several others were sent to prison, but the charges against Moscatiello were later dropped. Washington Post .

Considering the company Delay keeps, the wonder is he wasn't indicted earlier.

By the way, Delay pushed through that Medicare drug bill which bans Medicare from seeking the best price from the drug companies. Nice to see how Tom is wisely spending our tax money.

I will put up $20 against all comers that he is not found guilty of this conspiracy charge, that he does not accept a plea bargain, and that he is not censured by the House in any way.
                                I think it will be very hard to get Delay to serve any jail time. Even if convicted, he will simply appeal to a higher court where one of his judge buddies presides. I will bet that within two years Tom is working in Washington as a lobbyist himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X