Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook employees stage a virtual walkout over Zuckerberg's inaction on Trump posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Twitter and Facebook are private companies which can do as they wish so long as they stay within the law. In their recent actions they were totally within the law and operating as they saw fit.

The 1st Amendment applies to interaction with the government and not with private companies.
    Understand that very well and said that earlier in this thread. I'm just surprised this can happen to your president. Completely unprecedented.

They're afraid of being sued so they pulled the plug.

If this happened to any other foreign leader they'd say sovereignty.

You don't have that argument
    Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Jan 21,, 19:46.

Comment

When the top guy can't talk who else is left ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	VOA mike tweet.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1571067

They didn't want the voice of American diplomacy to be broadcast on the Voice of America. Think about that for just a moment !

Censorship, Wokeness, Political correctness it all points in one direction, Authoritarianism cloaked as moral righteousness.

Similar to what we see on facebook, apple and too many university campuses today.

That's not who we are. It's time that we simply put wokism to sleep.

Kerry said back in 2013 that VOA was defunct. Well, it's coming back to life and none too soon.

Comment

Pompeo "can't talk"?

really? the dude who just blasted this out on Twitter and then did it anyway?

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
          When the top guy can't talk who else is left ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	VOA mike tweet.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1571067

Kerry said back in 2013 that VOA was defunct. Well, it's coming back to life and none too soon.
          The dude can walk into his press room at any time and address the press that are assigned to the State Department anytime he wants.

And this disgrace to West Point should probably just shut the fvck up as he is showing his ass continuously.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
            Pompeo "can't talk"?
            Oh he can, i meant his boss

Trump's team decided to migrate to Parler and what happens. Google, Apple & AWS take down the app.

Should they use a Russian app like Telegram ?

Do these platforms serve business or dictate it. There's going to be ripple effects from this into the future.

really? the dude who just blasted this out on Twitter and then did it anyway?
            employees of voa protesting the secstate for propaganda ?

What's that about

This is one of your info warfare arms, what message does it it send when employees think their side is spreading propaganda ?
            Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Jan 21,, 00:52.

Comment

Thought this merited a mention, considering who he is and what gets done to him

Click image for larger version  Name:	alex navalny on trump.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	1571082

https://twitter.com/navalny/status/1347969772177264644

Read the thread

9. If you replace "Trump" with "Navalny" in today's discussion, you will get an 80% accurate Kremlin's answer as to why my name can't be mentioned on Russian TV and I shouldn't be allowed to participate in any elections.
              yes

10. This precedent will be exploited by the enemies of freedom of speech around the world. In Russia as well. Every time when they need to silence someone, they will say: 'this is just common practice, even Trump got blocked on Twitter'.
              ^ THIS
              Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Jan 21,, 00:15.

Comment

DE,

Oh he can, i meant his boss
                his boss? the guy who can -also- call up a press conference at any time, whose sayings and doings are reported by national media?

he "can't talk"?

employees of voa protesting the secstate for propaganda ?
                it's called employees of VOA using -their- freedom of speech.

they're expected to follow the order or quit, but in the meantime they can protest as they like.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                  Thought this merited a mention, considering who he is and what gets done to him

Click image for larger version Name:	alex navalny on trump.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	1571082

https://twitter.com/navalny/status/1347969772177264644

Read the thread

yes

^ THIS
                  He's talking from the perspective of one of very few Russian politicians on the opposing side of Putin, of course he's going to put emphasis on worries about establishing precedent for added censorship. Problem is, Twitter (and others) is a private company under zero direction from the US government---your participation on their platform is subject to their terms and conditions. Put simply, you are allowed access to their services at their pleasure. The only exception to this would be refusing business to a "protected class" such as discrimination based on race, gender et cetera. To my best knowledge, these do not include neo-nazis, confederate sympathizers, or white supremacists.

We have now confirmed cases where platforms such as Twitter and Facebook have been used to coordinate activities leading to the Capitol attack. If I were the head of one of the world's largest social media outlets, my number one worry would be the potential storm of litigation coming to me as a result of unlawful actions (i.e., insurrection) taken by a significant portion of my user base.

EDIT: Furthermore, no one credible is saying Trump's first amendment rights are being trampled. He is free to spout his tripe on any other platform that is willing to give him access. He may even deign to set up a shoeshiner box on a corner of 5th Avenue and join the dozens of other street prophets in the exercise of free speech.
                  Last edited by Red Team; 17 Jan 21,, 00:55.
                  "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

they're expected to follow the order or quit, but in the meantime they can protest as they like.
                    Can they be fired? For hurting the brand? If you work for McDonalds, you can exercise your freedom of speech by saying the food sucks but you won't be working there for long.

Chimo

Comment

DE,

his boss? the guy who can -also- call up a press conference at any time, whose sayings and doings are reported by national media?

he "can't talk"?
                      Twitter does not have to uphold your first amendment rights. I know.

But the world sees it as the silencing of the leader of the free world.

Merkel spokesperson Steffen Seibert described the ban as "problematic" on Monday, Politico reported.

"The fundamental right [of freedom of expression] can be interfered with, but along the lines of the law and within the framework defined by the lawmakers," Seibert said.

"Not according to the decision of the management of social media platforms."

Donald Trump's Twitter Ban Concerns World Leaders, Officials | Newsweek | Jan 12 2021

Businesses wonder if they could be next.

Problematic tweet. Delete it. Temporary ban him. Why permanent ?

Michelle Obama says he should be and few hours later it happens.

Not saying there is a connection but it leaves open the charge these companies are being partisan.

They put up with him for all of his term and then do it ?

Who exactly is Trump a threat to now ?

FCC Section 230 gives these companies immunity from lawsuits already. What are they afraid of. This is a self inflicted wound.

It's this safe harbour that allowed these companies to become world leaders.

Why ban Parler ? An American company. What was the threat to Google, Apple & Amazon app stores.

If Twitter can't take the heat, others will take over. Why gang up against this company only.

A coordinated set of actions by different actors against a leader and his followers.

Listening to his talk at VOA what propaganda was he spouting ?

Where does this thinking come from. This is what i find problematic.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Jan 21,, 14:05.

Comment

Europe criticizes Trump Twitter ban – but not for reason you'd expect | CS Monitor | Jan 15 2021

Tyson Barker, head of technology policy at the German Council on Foreign Relations, checked the Twitter account of Germany’s most prominent far-right nationalist. Still active.

“The platforms’ approach is being applied selectively,” he says, “and at their heart these are political decisions.”

Better, he argues, would be an agile, trust-based regulatory ecosystem that includes government, civil society, and users checking each other.
                        That it was partisan is the impression

The american way keeps govt out which has its merits but the reasoning behind this ban has to be made more transparent.

I know they are not obligated to do this but if they want their platform to prosper it would be important.

“Germany basically says government should regulate speech, not private companies,” says Ian Rosenberg, an American media lawyer and author of “The Fight for Free Speech: Ten Cases That Define Our First Amendment Freedoms.”

“That is absolutely opposite to the American constitutional tradition, which is that the government should be prohibited from regulating private speech. They are totally antithetical to each other.”
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Jan 21,, 14:16.

Comment

Speaking of Navalny - he's heading back to Muscovy as I write - to face certain arrest.

Comment

DE,

But the world sees it as the silencing of the leader of the free world.
                            the only people who see it that way are the ones whom aren't bright enough to realize that Twitter =/= entirety of public communications.

the more cogent argument is that the influence of Big Tech is too pervasive-- I do, because social media rewards inflammatory comments and allows people to monetize socially destructive actions.

but that's not "silencing the leader of the free world", whom even without Twitter has the largest bullhorns in the world.

Why ban Parler ? An American company. What was the threat to Google, Apple & Amazon app stores.
                            companies aren't -obligated- to host Parler. that's not banning.

they can make choices for their own bottom-line.

If Twitter can't take the heat, others will take over. Why gang up against this company only.
                            precisely. Twitter is actually taking a financial hit from banning Trump because Trump draws hundreds of millions of views. they're taking the hit even when the crazies run away to Gab, etc.

A coordinated set of actions by different actors against a leader and his followers.
                            so what?

[Listening to his talk at VOA what propaganda was he spouting ?

Where does this thinking come from. This is what i find problematic.
                            you're deflecting. your original statement is that Pompeo and Trump are being silenced.

they're not.

Comment

They are being silenced - on a media platform aiming to shape global conversations. If you think foreign governments are going to accept a small number of American businesses dictating the limits of their internal political discussions and banning world leaders, lol.

This also isn't where the ball stops. It's only a question of where this slippery slope actually bottoms out.
                              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                                They are being silenced - on a media platform aiming to shape global conversations. If you think foreign governments are going to accept a small number of American businesses dictating the limits of their internal political discussions and banning world leaders, lol.

This also isn't where the ball stops. It's only a question of where this slippery slope actually bottoms out.
                                GV,

You have said you are a Libertarian or such. What should be done? Regulation? They are a private corporation who can kick whomever they want off their platform.

I'm on Twitter and can be kicked off if I don't like it.

Again and again....the president can call a press conference WHENEVER he wants and is guaranteed to be able to speak to the world. Same with Pompeo. There are entire press corps dedicated to covering their very words.

No one has ANY guaranteed rights on a private platform....especially one that is free to use.
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X