No announcement yet.

The Army Should Rid Itself Of Symbols Of Treason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The US Navy is changing the name of a warship to honor a former slave who escaped to freedom on a stolen Confederate ship

• A US Navy guided missile cruiser is losing its name that previously honored a Confederate victory.
    • The ship, formally known as USS Chancellorsville, will be named USS Robert Smalls.
    • Robert Smalls was born into slavery but went on to become a prominent sailor and politician.
    The US Navy is renaming one of its ships so that it no longer pays tribute to a major Civil War victory for Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Secretary of the Navy Carlos Del Toro announced that the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser formerly named USS Chancellorsville will be called USS Robert Smalls, the Navy said in a Monday statement.

Robert Smalls was born into slavery in 1839 in South Carolina, where as a young man he worked on the steamer Planter, which would later be used by the Confederacy for ammunition transport.

Smalls was an expert sailor and navigator, and during the Civil War, as the ship's Confederate officers went ashore, he effectively hijacked the steamer and sailed it past Charleston gun batteries to deliver it to the Union Navy, freeing not only himself but over a dozen others as well. He continued to pilot the Planter, which was repurposed for troop transport, for the Union and later the ironclad USS Keokuk.

After the war, Smalls became a brigadier general in South Carolina's state militia and served in the state's legislature and, later, the US House of Representatives.

The changing of the name of the missile cruiser USS Chancellorsville comes after a US government Naming Commission reviewed assets within the military that honored various aspects of the Confederacy and required them to be renamed. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin agreed with the commission's recommendations in October 2022. Each branch of service has until 2024 to make any necessary name changes.

Del Toro on Monday said he is "proud" to rename the ship after Robert Smalls. "He was an extraordinary American and I had the pleasure of learning more about him last year when I visited his home in South Carolina," he said in the statement.

"The renaming of these assets is not about rewriting history, but to remove the focus on the parts of our history that don't align with the tenets of this country, and instead allows us to highlight the events and people in history who may have been overlooked," Del Toro added. "Robert Smalls is a man who deserves a namesake ship and with this renaming, his story will continue to be retold and highlighted."

The Battle of Chancellorsville, which the cruiser was initially named after, took place in Virginia in the spring of 1863 and proved to be a major victory for the Confederate army, despite the loss of Lt. Gen. Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson. The USS Chancellorsville was commissioned in 1989 and is assigned to Carrier Strike Group Five in Japan, although it is scheduled to leave active service in 2026.

The ship previously made headlines when it sailed through the disputed Taiwan Strait alongside the USS Antietam in August 2022 amid sky-high tensions between the US and China over then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's visit to Taiwan a few weeks earlier.

Personally I think the Maury should be changed first and given the name Robert Smalls. Rename Chancellorsville to something like Appomattox or Fort Henry.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Actually I like Smalls is honored with a combat vessel. He did serve on warships...his own and later a monitor I believe. USN operated transports are considered warships.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Personally I think the Maury should be changed first and given the name Robert Smalls. Rename Chancellorsville to something like Appomattox or Fort Henry.
        How did it even get named Chancellorsville in 1989? Who was Secretary of the Navy at that time who approved the naming?

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

How did it even get named Chancellorsville in 1989? Who was Secretary of the Navy at that time who approved the naming?
          She was authorized in 1984 and laid down in 1987, which places the blame squarely on John Lehman, if I'm not mistaken.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Actually I like Smalls is honored with a combat vessel. He did serve on warships...his own and later a monitor I believe. USN operated transports are considered warships.
            That's true...I was thinking more along the lines of the CG-47 class naming convention though (with the usual odd exception *eye roll*)

Comment

That's true...I was thinking more along the lines of the CG-47 class naming convention though (with the usual odd exception *eye roll*)
              BTW...not named for the incompetent boob of a general but a past SECDEF.

And I should let you know posting this in my Civil War discussion group....whew!!! Did THAT cause a ruckus!

Then that caused me to talk about Civil War Campaign streamers for NG units who were also Confederates in the ACW. "Hilarity" ensued. And for the trifecta I then brought up the Army should revoke the campaign streamers from the Indian Wars.

Minds were lost.

So tere was much telling me how I was wrong and stupid, etc. I then asked all "Who besides me is a retired US Army officer?"

*crickets chirping*

Yeah...GFY
              Last edited by Albany Rifles; 28 Feb 23,, 19:48.
              Mark Twain

Comment

BTW...not named for the incompetent boob of a general but a past SECDEF.

And I should let you know posting this in my Civil War discussion group....whew!!! Did THAT cause a ruckus!

Then that caused me to talk about Civil War Campaign streamers for NG units who were also Confederates in the ACW. "Hilarity" ensued. And for the trifecta I then brought up the Army should revoke the campaign streamers from the Indian Wars.

Minds were lost.

So tere was much telling me how I was wrong and stupid, etc. I then asked all "Who besides me is a retired US Army officer?"

*crickets chirping*

Yeah...GFY
                Everybody's an expert until they aren't.

Comment

Everybody's an expert until they aren't.
                  Reminds me of a certain someone...or three.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Reminds me of a certain someone...or three.
                    Ditto

Comment

• Good morning from Fort Gregg Adams!!!

What a great Army day!!!
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Good morning from Fort Gregg Adams!!!

What a great Army day!!!
                        Great background making them far more deserving than Lee could ever be.

Comment

Great background making them far more deserving than Lee could ever be.
                          Absolutely!
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Absolutely!
                            Have you heard any low grumbling from the peanut crowd?

Comment

Have you heard any low grumbling from the peanut crowd?
                              Of course....and they are being absolutely slagged...nuked.

And as usual, the bitching and moaning isn't coming from active duty or veterans...at least out loud. It's all neo=Confederate/racist assholes.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Of course....and they are being absolutely slagged...nuked.

And as usual, the bitching and moaning isn't coming from active duty or veterans...at least out loud. It's all neo=Confederate/racist assholes.
                                Run into many who proclaim their great-great granddaddy was born here (VA, GA, MS, AL doesn't matter), saying that, as I would expect it from them. Been a century and a half and dragging the South out of 1880 is getting old.

Comment

Working...
                                X