The Army Should Rid Itself Of Symbols Of Treason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Are they a good bargin? Can they take our ex-wives with them?
    I laughed my ass off at you guys on this!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
      Are they a good bargin? Can they take our ex-wives with them?
      I think my father would have about now made some joke about what they call body pillows today.

Comment

• Pentagon appoints Trump loyalist to Confederate base renaming commission
        The Pentagon has named the first half of a panel that will spearhead the renaming of bases that honor Confederate leaders, and the list includes a White House liaison who oversaw the purges of major Pentagon advisory boards.

Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller on Friday named four members to the panel, which was established by annual defense policy legislation that President Donald Trump attempted to sink in part over his opposition to renaming bases.

Chief among Miller's appointees is Joshua Whitehouse, the White House liaison to the Defense Department. In late November and early December, Whitehouse oversaw the firing of members serving on expert advisory panels — the Defense Policy Board and the Defense Business Board — and the installation of numerous Trump loyalists in their place.

Miller's three other appointees are Earl Matthews, a former acting Army general counsel, Ann G. Johnston, the acting assistant secretary of Defense for legislative affairs, and White House official Sean McLean.

The remaining four members of the eight-member panel must still be appointed by the chairs and ranking members of the Senate and House Armed Services Committees. Sens. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Jack Reed (D-R.I.) and Reps. Adam Smith (D-Wash.) and Mike Rogers (R-Ala.) each will appoint one panelist.

The panel is part of a mandate, laid out in the National Defense Authorization Act for the Pentagon to rename 10 Army bases that honor Confederate leaders and remove other symbols or honors to the Confederacy within three years. The effort mirrors an amendment adopted in the Senate pushed by progressive Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.).

Despite bipartisan support in the House and Senate for removing racist relics in a year of racial upheaval, Trump opposed the effort. After months of threats, the president vetoed the defense bill due to, among other things, his opposition to renaming the bases, which he likened to rewriting U.S. history. Lawmakers overrode Trump's veto.

The legislation mandates the removal of Confederate names, symbols, monuments and other honors from military property — including bases, buildings, streets, ships, aircraft, weapons and equipment — within three years. The bill exempts Confederate grave markers from the review.

The commission is charged with developing criteria for identifying Confederate monuments and recommending procedures for renaming the property and gathering input from local communities.

The panel isn't explicitly tasked with coming up with new names for bases, though it could do so or defer to the Army secretary or Defense secretary.

A final report is due by Oct. 1, 2022, outlining property that must be removed or renamed, and the Pentagon will have until early 2024 to carry out the plan.

Great. Just friggin' great...
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Well, the panel is just a panel and I would assume the Secretary of Defense has the final say which would be Biden's man. I think it a safe bet that the names are going to change despite those Trump loyalists.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            Well, the panel is just a panel and I would assume the Secretary of Defense has the final say which would be Biden's man. I think it a safe bet that the names are going to change despite those Trump loyalists.
            Yeah I don't see Lloyd Austin signing off on this....
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Navy Task Force Calls for Changing Ship Names that Honor Confederacy

The Navy needs to modernize the way it names ships, buildings and streets, and the service should rename assets that honor the Confederacy, a task force designed to identify problematic policies recommended this week.

The recommendation is one of nearly 60 presented to Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday in a new 141-page report released Wednesday from Task Force One Navy. Gilday ordered the creation of the task force in July following the death last May of George Floyd, a Black man who died in the hands of law enforcement, prompting nationwide protests about racism and police brutality.

Task Force One Navy was directed to identify and dismantle barriers of inequality. The group, led by Rear Adm. Alvin Holsey, who recently commanded Carrier Strike Group 1, held hundreds of listening sessions and focus groups ahead of releasing their recommendations to the CNO.

The group found the Navy lacks a consolidated database or process for reviewing the names of ships, streets, buildings and other assets to ensure they reflect the service's core values.

"This initiative is an opportunity to honor and name Navy assets for Naval heroes from all classes, races, genders and backgrounds," their report states.

It notes that members of Congress and the media have identified ship names that have ties to the Confederacy or white-supremacist ideologies. The names of two warships -- that of the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis and the guided-missile cruiser Chancellorsville -- faced new scrutiny last summer following the push to rename 10 Army installations that honor Confederate leaders.

As retired Lt. Cmdr. Reuben Keith Green noted last year in U.S. Naval Institute's Proceedings magazine, Stennis had a long record of championing white supremacy.

"Most sailors -- and Navy leaders -- have little idea of his background, but the Navy, as an institution, has a moral obligation to know," Green argued. "And, it should act."

The Chancellorsville, named for the major 1863 Civil War battle, was won by the Confederacy.

The task force says the Navy needs to initiate a systematic review to identify any assets that honor the Confederacy or are named for "racist, derogatory or culturally insensitive persons, events or language."

"Renaming recommendations and decisions should be consistent with current naming authorities, policies and practices, with a focus on honoring persons of historically underrepresented demographics, including racial minorities, women and enlisted members," the recommendations state.

The Navy should create a committee, it adds, that will produce a database where names of ships, streets and buildings can be reviewed. It will likely require installation commanders to provide lists of buildings and streets on their bases that are named for people.

The committee can then coordinate with ethics and history experts to identify problematic names and propose replacements.

Ultimately, the task force wrote, the CNO and Navy secretary could make naming decisions that reflect diversity and inclusion in the next six to 12 months.

Gilday says he's committed to seeing Task Force One Navy's recommendations carried out.

"Our Navy must continue to remove barriers to service, and most importantly, be a shining example of a workforce centered on respect, inclusive of all," the CNO said.

There are two other ship names that are problematic, USS Carl Vinson and USNS Maury.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

There are two other ship names that are problematic, USS Carl Vinson and USNS Maury.
                Should be interesting on how they will deal with the carriers as no one really is much aware of a surface warfare ship (my apologies desertswo). You know I am a traditionalist when it comes to naming ships particularly the carriers. Presidents are bad enough but Stennis and Vinson should have never happened. I can live with Nimitz for very obvious reasons that needn't be pointed out to anyone with brains.

Comment

• I know why USNS Maury is named as such but I'm with you on changing. Same with changing Vinson & Stennis.

However, I would leave Chancellorsville. While it may be a Confederate victory it is still a campaign streamer for the US. But if we change do change it I recommend the USS Stones River in honor of the Union Army of the Cumberland's victory over the Confederate Army of Tennessee 31 DEC 62-2 JAN 63.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Possible solutions

Leave the base nanes alone BUT, bury the bodies under the parade ground so the victors forever trample them...

Name them after a host states CMOH winner.

Comment

• The Congressional Commission has asked for public input for recommendations for changing Confederate names of installations and vessels

https://www.thenamingcommission.gov/

OUR MISSION:
                      Congressional Commission providing naming, renaming, and removal recommendations to Congress for all Department of Defense items that commemorate the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America.

The Naming Commission has the important role of recommending names that exemplify our U.S. military and national values. We are determined to gain feedback and insight from every concerned citizen to ensure the best names are recommended. To accomplish this monumental task, we are engaging with local, city, state and federal leaders and communities. We also encourage all interested citizens tosubmit naming recommendations here.

THE NAMING COMMISSION

Adm. Michelle Howard, U.S. Navy, Retired, Chair

Brig. Gen. Ty Seidule, U.S. Army, Retired, Vice-Chair

Lt. Gen. Thomas Bostick, U.S. Army, Retired

Mr. Jerry Buchannan

Gen. Robert Neller, U.S. Marine Corps, Retired

Mr. Lawrence Romo

Dr. Kori Schake

U.S. Rep. Austin Scott (Georgia)
                      BTW, if you have not read Robert E. Lee and Me by Ty Seidule. I cannot recommend it enough. It really demonstrates how people can and have changed on this topic.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        So, AR, what is going on with the Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond? I gather it is still standing unlike others.
                        As you no doubt saw, it came down last week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lee.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1576323

And from last December Virginia ordered the Lee Statue in the Capitol Rotunda removed as Lee was no longer seen as an example of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...pitol-n1251925
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• I just submitted Audy Murphy for Ft Hood.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            I just submitted Audy Murphy for Ft Hood.
                            Good choice!

As I said previously I recommend MSG Roy Benavidez for Hood. We don't have a fort named for an Enlisted man so that would fit nicely I believe with Hood. Also honors Vietnam war veterans.

But Murphy would also work.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Don't forget to recommend 1stLt Mike Sparks (US Army) for Fort Bragg." The Lt Mike Sparks Air Mech Strike Center of Excellence "

Comment

• Actually I recommended Alvin York an 82 Div alumni

Comment

Working...
                                X