COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

This is the best way to fight it, TBH. Got et ahead of that curve.
    Gotta ask the question: How much better protected would America be if not for the anti-science rantings of a particular nutty wing of the political spectrum?
    Asking for a nation I love.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

• I supposed you have to be alive to be arrested by the Thought Police.
      Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post

Gotta ask the question: How much better protected would America be if not for the anti-science rantings of a particular nutty wing of the political spectrum?
        Asking for a nation I love.
        Which nutty wing? That bird flies or at least flaps with both of them down here in the South. One side is wing nut consevatives who think covid is a plot by Bill Gates or deniers thinking that covid is not that dangerous on the other you have minorities who think its a plot and tut tutting elites who virtue signal in public but then host a mass spreader event at 35,000' in a private jet before meeting with the VP who famously said she would not take a Trump vaccine

Comment

This is the best way to fight it, TBH. Got et ahead of that curve.
          The government needs to let me get my 10yo son vaccinated. The Delta aims lower and kids are the biggest pool of possible vectors able to move freely among otherwise vaccinated cohorts. Arkansas is about 51% vaccination, probable vaccination including aquired immunity is likely over 60% for adults. Thats not a good number from tge virus perspective. Hard to find adult hosts unless you hitch a ride on a kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post

The government needs to let me get my 10yo son vaccinated. The Delta aims lower and kids are the biggest pool of possible vectors able to move freely among otherwise vaccinated cohorts. Arkansas is about 51% vaccination, probable vaccination including aquired immunity is likely over 60% for adults. Thats not a good number from tge virus perspective. Hard to find adult hosts unless you hitch a ride on a kid.
            I don't think the government is the holdup. I think the drug companies are still going through trials before turning their findings over to the FDA.

And from your governor...

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/19/10180...cine-hesitancy
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post

Which nutty wing? That bird flies or at least flaps with both of them down here in the South. One side is wing nut consevatives who think covid is a plot by Bill Gates or deniers thinking that covid is not that dangerous on the other you have minorities who think its a plot and tut tutting elites who virtue signal in public but then host a mass spreader event at 35,000' in a private jet before meeting with the VP who famously said she would not take a Trump vaccine

Nope.

Here in Florida, there is a whack-job governor trying to pry open the floating incubator industry (cruise ships) while we're surging anew thanks to the good folks who survived polio, tetanus, measles, and mumps because of vaccines … but believe the anti-science stupidity spewed by everyone from Fox to QAnon.

Are you that sure that any Southern minority has to be liberal?
              Ever been to Little Havana?

Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post

Nope.

Here in Florida, there is a whack-job governor trying to pry open the floating incubator industry (cruise ships) while we're surging anew thanks to the good folks who survived polio, tetanus, measles, and mumps because of vaccines … but believe the anti-science stupidity spewed by everyone from Fox to QAnon.

Are you that sure that any Southern minority has to be liberal?
                Ever been to Little Havana?
                I live in Arkansas, the counties with the worst vaccination rates and highest disease out break tend to be in the minority-magority black belt. Data from July 4th published by tge CDC also shows poc lagging thier share of the populagion ART vacvinations.

Comment

• Originally posted by C-SPAN

Dr. Anthony Fauci: "Senator Paul, you do not know what you are talking about..."

C-SPAN
                  Published on 20 July 2021

Dr. Anthony Fauci: "Senator Paul, you do not know what you are talking about, quite frankly, and I want to say that officially. You do not know what you are talking about."

Full video here:
                  https://www.c-span.org/video/?513400...ovid-response#

edit: adding a related news story below

Originally posted by Fox_News

Rand Paul says he will ask DOJ for 'criminal referral' over Fauci testimony

Sen. Rand Paul accuses Dr. Fauci of 'lying about whether or not he funded gain-of-function research'

By Emma Colton
                  Published 21 July 2021
                  Fox News

Sen. Rand Paul said he will send a letter to the Department of Justice asking for a criminal investigation of Dr. Anthony Fauci.

"I will be sending a letter to Department of Justice asking for a criminal referral because he has lied to Congress. We have scientists that were lined up by the dozens to say that the research he was funding was gain-of-function," the Kentucky Republican told Sean Hannity of Fauci on Tuesday evening’s "Hannity" program.

"He's doing this because he has a self interest to cover his tracks and to cover his connection to Wuhan lab," Paul continued.

Paul’s interview comes after he and Fauci had another heated exchange during a Senate hearing Tuesday when the two traded accusations of "lying" over gain-of-function research at a Wuhan lab floated as the origin of the coronavirus.

The NIH and NIAID have said they supported grants to research viruses in bats but never funded gain-of-function research of coronaviruses and transmissibility for humans.

"Dr. Fauci, knowing that it is a crime to lie to Congress, do you wish to retract your statement of May 11, where you claimed that the NIH never funded gains-of-function research in Wuhan?" Paul asked the NIAID director at one point in the hearing. The comment came after he cited a paper on research about bat coronaviruses, and quoting Dr. Richard Ebright, a molecular biologist at Rutgers University, that the "research matches, indeed epitomizes the definition of gain-of-function research."

"I have never lied before the Congress, and I do not retract that statement," Fauci responded.

"You do not know what you are talking about quite frankly and I want to say that officially," Fauci added.

Paul argued Fauci was "dancing around" the definition of gain-of-function research because he’s "trying to obscure responsibility for 4 million people dying around the world from a pandemic."

Paul added in his interview with Hannity that Fauci doesn’t deserve all the "blame" for the pandemic, saying "there's still some conjecture as to whether or not it came from the lab."

"But he's lying about whether or not he funded gain-of-function research, and yes, he should be punished."

Fauci’s office did not immediately respond to Fox News’s request for comment on Paul’s intention to send a letter to the Department of Justice.

Last edited by JRT; 21 Jul 21,, 17:05.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reuters

Biden thanks Fox News, Republicans for changing vaccine tune

Published on 22 July 2021
                    Reuters

President Joe Biden expressed gratitude that some Fox News hosts and Republican leaders have changed their messaging on coronavirus vaccines and are now urging people to get their shots.

Comment

• So, why the pivot?

Hardly an original thought but I think the pivot was the result of the Stock Market cratering earlier this week...all the media laid the cause for the drop on the increase in COVID cases among younger people with the Delta Variant.

So the wealthy donors told the GOP to knock it off because now COVID was negatively impacting the bottomlines of some powerful people.

A gross simplification but I think it's as plausible as any.

Also earlier this week a picture emerged on the door of the Fox Studios basically saying only vaccinated staff could enter....which kinda made the whole stance of on air staff look pretty hypocritical.

Regardless, whatever gets more folks vaccinated, good.

I'm fully vaccinated but I also live in a country that is less than 40% vaccinated...I'd like to ditch my mask but it isn't in the cards anytime soon.
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Sean Hannity walked back his enthusiasm for COVID-19 vaccines after being praised by the White House

Fox News host Sean Hannity walked back on his enthusiasm for COVID-19 vaccines after winning approval from President Biden for praising vaccinations on his show earlier in the week.

Hannity told viewers on his show Thursday that he had "never told anyone to get a vaccine."

"I've been very clear," he said. "I am simply not qualified. I am not a medical doctor. I know nothing about your medical history or your current medical condition."

The comments represented a shift in tone from Hannity's comments Monday when he praised the COVID-19 vaccine.

"'Just like we've been saying, please take COVID seriously," he told viewers.

"I can't say it enough, enough people have died, we don't need any more deaths. Take it seriously."

"It absolutely makes sense for many Americans to get vaccinated. I believe in science, I believe in the science of vaccinations."

Hannity has taken a convoluted line on whether he favors vaccines. He said in January he was "beginning to have doubts" about getting the shots.

In February, he said he was "not anti-vaccine" but also refused to say whether he would take one personally, The Washington Post reported.

His shift in tone came after President Biden noted Wednesday that Republicans and right-wing media networks appeared to have experienced a "come to Jesus" moment on vaccines.

The president appeared to refer to Fox when he said: "One of those other networks — they're not a big fan of mine, one you talk about a lot — but if you notice, as they say in the southern part of my state, they've had an altar call, some of those guys."

Fox hosts appeared to shift noticeably in favor of COVID-19 vaccinations this week. The network on Wednesday rolled out an advert to encourage viewers to receive the vaccine featuring some of its prominent newscasters, CNN reported.

"If you can, get the vaccine," Fox News host Harris Faulkner said in the advert, per CNN.

Some of the network's most prominent voices remain reluctant, however.

Tucker Carlson appeared to implicitly criticise the network's decision to run a vaccination advert less than an hour after it was first broadcast with a dig at CNN.

"As a channel, CNN shouldn't have a position on whether you should take medicine or not, because it's a news channel, it's not a health agency," he said, per CNN.

Guess he got all kinds of hate mail from the base. Can't upset the death cult after all.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Illinois_EnergyProf

What is in the COVID-19 Vaccine?

Illinois EnergyProf (David Ruzic)
                          Published on 21 May 2021

This video explains what is in all three US-approved COVID-19 vaccines and how they work. It also discusses the risks of COVID and the risks of the vaccines. Finally it briefly covers what is not in the vaccines.

0:00 What's in the Vaccines
                          9:41 What are the Risks?
                          16:18 What is not in the Vaccine

Last edited by JRT; 25 Jul 21,, 21:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

She is certifiable. I have someone I have known since 1980 come in next week for an exam and I asked about vaccination. She says she hasn't had it yet as she is a practicing healer. I was able to be blunt and said WTH. That would probably mean her two older teenagers haven't either. Now my county is at close to 70% but is till in the states top 5 counties so we will have an interesting discussion when I ask her what is her protection.

I suspect delta to be 100% by this fall. I expect it to run through all those states that are at or near 40% and there are a fair number of them. I expect it to kill healthy people much easier than the original variant. I also expect it to kill some teenagers and children. I also expect those states with large numbers of delta cases and low numbers of vaccinations to create a new variant that will put the current vaccines to the test. Just like we have MRSA is isn't a stretch to get a virus strain like that considering its reproduction rate.
                            Practically everyone who wanted to get a vaccine could have gotten one by now. The vaccines have been abundantly available to the point that doses have been going to waste and disposed of, because of a lack of demand.

Someone getting the vaccine and dying from COVID, that's a tragedy. For the very few people genuinely incapable of getting a vaccine through no fault of their own, if they die, that's a tragedy.

I really hate to have to say this, but, at this point, people who chose not to get vaccinated due to misinformation and disinformation, especially among those who are spreading misinformation and disinformation themselves, their deaths are not a tragedy. They brought it on themselves. I feel nothing for people who are now dying of COVID, who are anti-vaxxers and duped themselves into believing that COVID is some type of hoax. They made a willful choice - and that choice was sickness and/or death.
                            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• More thoughts...

With regards to media outlets, e.g. certain cable news channels, spreading misinformation and disinformation, in my personal opinion, I don't think 1st Amendment protections should apply.

To quote the Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.:

The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that the United States Congress has a right to prevent.

I certainly think any media outlet creating a clear and present danger by spreading misinformation and disinformation, that it would not be improper for them be taken off the air or offline. Or fine them and revoke their broadcasting licenses. And/or putting their broadcasts on a delay and blacking out the feed when the misinformation/disinformation that has created a public safety threat is about to be broadcast.

And while I think it would be going way too far for the government to use force to get people vaccinated, I think it ought to be perfectly legal for employers to suspend, discharge, or terminate employees who choose not to get vaccinated, and for state unemployment agencies to deny applications for unemployment relief to any person suspended or terminated for that reason. People who can get vaccinated and choose not to are a threat to both themselves and others, and no employers or co-workers should have to tolerate having such a threat in their midst.
                              Last edited by Ironduke; 26 Jul 21,, 23:23.
                              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

So, why the pivot?
                                I’d imagine their lawyers sat them down and had a little talk.

Comment

Working...
                                X