COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
    Actually we do cull the herd as with 'mad cow disease' in the UK.
    Read the entire thing.
    Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
      As is probably the case elsewhere, between 18-20% of California’s economy is being directly hurt by the coronavirus, and that’s just this month. The knock-on effects will come later. Here’s a run-down:

The food and beverage services sector employed 8.3% of all Californians in 2018 (the latest available data), and is the hardest hit. Next, retail, which may not be in as bad a shape due to on-line ordering (which also throws a rescue line to some F&B outlets). Between the two sectors, 14.5% of the jobs and 6.1% of the state’s entire payroll are at risk. Call it 2.5 million people employed, and perhaps 75% or 1.9 million unemployed in April.

Travel and related sectors such as accommodation account for another 1.7% of employment and $15 billion in paychecks. All sorts of recreation, gambling, amusement parks, performing arts, sports, museums and parks together employ 1.8% of the people and pay 1.6% of the wages. $19 billion at stake, and upwards of 90% at high risk.

Rough estimate? California could, for a month or several, lose 12.5% of employment and within those sectors, some 60-65% of the payroll.
      Since I am in health care but not hospital related nor primary M.D.s busy with care right now many of us are doing nothing. Many offices be it dentist, physical therapy, optometry, ophthalmology are not seeing any patients as they stay home. All of them have seen cash flow dry up. Some have kept employees and some can't. Some have simply closed their doors for one whole month. Some may not reopen as only time will tell. I am in 12 hours a week, 3 days per week, for any emergency.

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
        I see myself agreeing with some elesemts in each of those but I see one big problem with all of them. None of them address how to deal with stupid.
        Ah, stupid,my favorite topic to rant on...

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          Ah, stupid,my favorite topic to rant on...
          I swear, Trump's approval rating would jump 10 points if he just shut his mouth.
          Chimo

Comment

• that's actually pretty accurate, seeing as how even when he -doesn't- shut his mouth, his approval rating goes up 5% due to the rally-around-the-flag effect.

Cuomo's ratings are going through the roof right now.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
              that's actually pretty accurate, seeing as how even when he -doesn't- shut his mouth, his approval rating goes up 5% due to the rally-around-the-flag effect.

Cuomo's ratings are going through the roof right now.
              Cuomo wasn't even all that popular in New York prior to this but now his rating are in the high 70s I believe just like some previous Presidents in similar situations. Trump being Trump will never shut his mouth anymore than a zebra will change it's colors. His mouth is an autonomic reflex which bypasses all higher cognitive regions in his skull. I'm assuming there are some higher cognitive regions. For all I know he could be as simple as an earthworm.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                Cuomo wasn't even all that popular in New York prior to this but now his rating are in the high 70s I believe just like some previous Presidents in similar situations. Trump being Trump will never shut his mouth anymore than a zebra will change it's colors. His mouth is an autonomic reflex which bypasses all higher cognitive regions in his skull.
                A narcissistic sociopath like Donald Trump is ruled by his basest, most selfish, instincts (ego, money and women). They, and they alone, inform his every word and action.

That's why, with 3000 dead Americans (and counting) Trump is bragging about his TV ratings.

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                I'm assuming there are some higher cognitive regions. For all I know he could be as simple as an earthworm.
                Go with "simple as an earthworm". It certainly explains a great deal of his appeal to his followers.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Getting pretty intense here. Everyone in the state got an emergency message asking for licensed healthcare workers. My wife's ICU went from totally empty to about half-full in about 5 days. I suspect it'll be full tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. Apparently their plan is to turn the entire hospital into one giant ICU, with a small area dedicated to only dire emergency care. They've had a handful of deaths, but all were already knocking on death's door.

We also live near a (different) hospital. A lot more sirens, though not as bad as the reports from NYC.
                  "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

I swear, Trump's approval rating would jump 10 points if he just shut his mouth.
                    Down 5% in Total approve since a high on Feb 27

Comment

• Florida will almost certainly be the next hotspot-- all the risk factors are there, compounded by the inept toadying leadership of Gov. DeSantis. that will be particularly gruesome given Florida's older population.

then, Louisiana.

====

Trump's -words- regarding COVID has changed significantly in the last 2 days-- from the reporting, it was either 1.) Fauci persuading him that the death toll would get gruesome, 2.) a personal friend of his getting sick/dying (his own story), as well as seeing the hospital in his childhood neighborhood getting deluged, 3.) his poll numbers tanking on the "keep the economy open" gambit he was talking about last week.

I don't think it's #1, because those numbers have been out there a while now.

#2 and #3 are significantly more plausible.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Florida will almost certainly be the next hotspot-- all the risk factors are there, compounded by the inept toadying leadership of Gov. DeSantis. that will be particularly gruesome given Florida's older population.
                        I thought they were praying to plague away ...

Darwin At Work.
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

Florida will almost certainly be the next hotspot-- all the risk factors are there, compounded by the inept toadying leadership of Gov. DeSantis. that will be particularly gruesome given Florida's older population.
                          City of Jacksonville (finally) issued its own "Safer At Home" policy, shutting down all non-essential businesses.

As an essential (that's debatable) healthcare worker, I am unaffected, thankfully. I'd be going stir crazy sitting at home.

Oh yeah, and fuck the Republicans and their anti-science bullshit.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• joe,

City of Jacksonville (finally) issued its own "Safer At Home" policy, shutting down all non-essential businesses.
                            you in Jacksonville? if so, you're in a relatively safe spot (for Florida). southern Florida is about to get slammed hard.

i have a friend of mine working in Brazil right now. Brazil is one, at most two weeks away from turning into a complete sh*tshow. I am seriously afraid for her.

Comment

I am seriously afraid for her.
                              Is she young and healthy?
                              Chimo

Comment

Is she young and healthy?
                                Great odds for her if she is but not absolute as we are now seeing.

Edit: the young in New York hospitals now

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e?srnd=premium
                                Last edited by tbm3fan; 01 Apr 20,, 19:31.

Comment

Working...
                                X